Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A study that asked 267 participants about their use of language and then asked them to self- disclose their personal level of honesty, is entertainment, not fact.

I suspect if you were to observe a typical prison population, their use of profanity, think one might reach a different conclusion.
This is a good segue to say that just because someone is honest, that honesty doesn't always equal integrity or morality. Someone in prison can be a heinous person and yet be technically honest about admitting to doing something very wrong, and even proud of it. And let out some cussing while they're at it!

In a less extreme case, someone who "doesn't have a filter" as some people say, and let every vile thought that passes through their brain spew out of their mouth isn't virtuous just because they are "honest". Yes, it's true that someone can be a bad, dishonest person and never use profanity, but cursing all the time doesn't make someone a good person or automatically honest. All their excessive use of profanity shows is that they have a lack of self regulation with their use of language, or that they have limited vocabulary to articulate negative sentiments, so profanity is the only word they can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
When people get emotional their true feelings come out. You know where they stand. It's the quiet ones you have to watch.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I think CD should allow the use of any language without censorship.............
Oh, no thank you! I like not seeing people use the F word, like a comma!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people get emotional their true feelings come out. You know where they stand. It's the quiet ones you have to watch.
Well, that's often times a big problem. Certain people are insistent about getting emotional and outspoken every trivial matter when they have the slightest of grievances and totally monopolize a conversation, especially conversations involving multiple people where they're going to have an audience. Everyone has to know where they stand on every little trifling issue because certain people insist on imposing their opinions very loudly and crassly, whether this knowledge is wanted or needed.

The quiet people will often be very patient and listen to this. There are likely some expletives going through their mind as they're getting increasingly annoyed by all of this, but they are much more selective (and arguably self controlled) by not having to verbalize their every petty grievance.

BTW: I wonder why is this question in the politics forum (although it can certainly relate to people expousing their political opinions)?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:52 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
This is what gets me. I don't see a reason to brag about having a potty mouth. I will admit to having used profanity. I don't brag about. It's not anything to brag about. Bragging about having a profane mouth shows lack of self-control and poor intelligence.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Well, that's often times a big problem.
How silly. Knowing where someone stands is what we want. No one wants to be misled.

Quote:
Certain people are insistent about getting emotional and outspoken every trivial matter when they have the slightest of grievances and totally monopolize a conversation, especially conversations involving multiple people where they're going to have an audience.
That's your dishonest opinion. Conservatives have their share, not that you know what one is, but maybe it's just that the majority of the ones who are recorded are progressives. But in non recorded situations they are reserved. That's it!!! Progressives love the camera.

Quote:
Everyone has to know where they stand on every little trifling issue because certain people insist on imposing their opinions very loudly and crassly, whether this knowledge is wanted or needed.
It's about the message. If ones fewlings are hurt by a few cuss words then don't partake in the discussion. Go to a safe place.

Quote:
The quiet people will often be very patient and listen to this. There are likely some expletives going through their mind as they're getting increasingly annoyed by all of this, but they are much more selective (and arguably self controlled) by not having to verbalize their every petty grievance.
It's always about the message, All the other things are noise. Why should one be civil to those who are trying to take away rights?

Quote:
BTW: I wonder why is this question in the politics forum (although it can certainly relate to people expousing their political opinions)?
Because we don't hear Obama cuss much.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM

^ Not once did I even insinaute a connection between this type of conduct and one's political affiliation, or even hint about any specific person having these issues, so this is an odd response. In fact, I mentioned that it was odd for this topic to be in the politics part of the forum at all.

But to reiterate what I actually did say, if someone wants to be foul mouthed and domineering towards others (perhaps just because other people don't have the exact same opinion as themselves, and they have a hard time dealing with that), they may get a good reaction from certain people who are also like that. BUT it also shouldn't be a surprise that they're going to get lots of negative reaction as well, and for good reason!

There's a time to be outspoken (and doing so constructively) and a time to do more listening. Good judgment means knowing the appropriate time to do what, not going around all the time with "no filter."

Last edited by Jowel; 01-19-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Everyone lies, no matter how much profanity they use. This study is like taking a poll about people's masturbation habits.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
I have to say I do like Catfish Cooley (check out his Diversity video on Youtube)- I would post the link but he uses so much profanity I think it would be flagged.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I won't call this fake news. I will say this. I've been lied to many times in my life. In many cases, it was by foul mouthed people.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies