Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

The best thing I learned when Hurricane Matthew came.

This state gets dryer than prohibition. I wasn't Florading correctly that week. I'm out getting cases of water ammo and non perishable food... They're coming out of walmart with cases of beer, liquor stores and gas stations cleaned out, of booze and cigarettes.

They hear hurricane they say Party! My co workers wanted me to come stay with them they're like nah... It'll just be a windy rain storm... But your crazy self would be out flying a kite.

And I did too... Had my waders on looking like a young Gortons Fisherman with an Elmo kite in one hand, Jack Daniels jack black cola in the other. Bought mortars too just in case it got Katrina like I could signal to the choppers...

I refuse to grow up. I regret nothing. I was in the pool on a floatie the wind was blowing me around it was a good time. When those palm trees start swaying like a belly dancer... Time to go in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Upstate NY is more like $100 000 for a 2000 sq foot home. FL is much more expensive. And lower wages.
Bullcrap!
My sisters house was 130k with 1/4 acre. It's 2800 square feet. Her property taxes are 1600 a year!!!

You can't touch a house like that in NY unless it needs roof or foundation work for less than 150k

Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
We all seem to generalize an entire state or area. I've had many arguments about the South with people who think everyone here is an uneducated, toothless hillbilly.

It's like that remark Trump made about the 5th District. There are some very wealthy people who live in John Lewis' district. Anyone who's driven through Buckhead knows it's definitely not rundown and falling apart.

(thought I'd mention this, since it is the political forum, after all!)

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We all seem to generalize an entire state or area. I've had many arguments about the South with people who think everyone here is an uneducated, toothless hillbilly.

It's like that remark Trump made about the 5th District. There are some very wealthy people who live in John Lewis' district. Anyone who's driven through Buckhead knows it's definitely not rundown and falling apart.

(thought I'd mention this, since it is the political forum, after all!)
I don't. Upstate Ny is beautiful. Raquette lake and the Adirondacks especially. Where I lived you'd swear I dropped you in Kentucky or Mississippi or in the Georgia mountains. Every other vehicle on the road was a pickup truck with a confederate flag on it. Every area is different. The ghetto part is especially true!!! Alphabet streets in fort pierce I guess is Floridas version of Chicago... But you wouldn't know it unless you noticed the tumble weave from some hood rats duking it out the night before. No graffiti no garbage and over grown yards...

NYC nothing appealing. If you like graffiti grid lock filthy grimey looking streets potholes that can swallow a Buick NYC has it's upsides I guess... Can get a 5 dollar hot dog and 10 dollar soda taxed soda at 2am...

If that's your cup of tea...

What I love about Florida...
The price of drinks. I go out with workers to bars I'll put $50 dollars aside for the night.
For hat 50 dollars I can have 8-12 beers a Cuban sand which and the bartender get a 15 dollar tip out of me and I walk home with 20 left to spend. Bars in NY are expensive.

Then I was introduced to rum runners... Oh my. One adult 18 ounce slushy mmm nom nom...

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm curious. How have you "experienced" both states? Have you ever been in a FL hospital? (I have) Have you ever worked in FL? (I have)

I don't know where you are getting your information. Both are large states, although CA is much larger in land mass and population.

Health care rankings: Florida falls to bottom of nation

Both states have high school rankings according to this report. CA #3 and FL #4.

How States Compare in the 2016 Best High Schools Rankings

Florida is #15 in Poverty Level, 16.7% Calif isn't too far ahead, but is ranked #18, 15.8%

US Poverty Level By State - WorldAtlas.com

I don't know why you started this thread, but if it's to show that red states have better schools than blue states, you're going to lose that argument. Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts are consistently are listed in the top 5. The top hospitals in the U.S. are also in blue states.

By the way, Calif has a lower crime rate than Florida as long as you're making comparisons.
Just one link to my Bolded ~~ Florida may do well with tourists financially.. BUT Crime isn't such a factor Florida should be proud of!!!

11 Of The Nation's 100 Most Dangerous Cities Are In Florida | The Huffington Post
Quote:
Florida may be just the fourth most populous state in the U.S., but it contains more of nation’s 100 most dangerous cities — a total of 11 — than any other state, including California (10), Texas (five), and New York (four).

That’s according to Neighborhoodscout.com, which just released a new list for 2014 based on the number of local violent crimes reported to the FBI and the population of each city.

“We accomplish this by collecting raw crime data from all 17,000 law enforcement agencies in America,†explains the site. “...This method provides an accurate representation of the complete number and types of crimes that truly occur within any city or town, not just crimes reported by a single municipal agency.â€

We won’t spoil the number one spot for you — click over to Neighborhoodscout.com for that — but below, check out the Sunshine State cities that earned dubious slots among the nation’s 100 most dangerous:

Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Bullcrap!
My sisters house was 130k with 1/4 acre. It's 2800 square feet. Her property taxes are 1600 a year!!!

You can't touch a house like that in NY unless it needs roof or foundation work for less than 150k

mine is 1200 sq ft on 1/2 acre property taxes are $218 a year. house is worth $90k

Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You apparently have not had the pleasure of driving on I-95 in South Florida. Might as well be a dirt road.
Where on 95? I live in Miami and travel up and down 95 to Boca weekly, and the only poor 95 area is in the Miami area in and around the 395 ramps extending down towards 1st st. The poor part of that is just crappy expansion joints. Other than that, 95 is great all the way up to Jacksonville (construction in Jacksonville has made 95 a bit rough).

Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Where on 95? I live in Miami and travel up and down 95 to Boca weekly, and the only poor 95 area is in the Miami area in and around the 395 ramps extending down towards 1st st. The poor part of that is just crappy expansion joints. Other than that, 95 is great all the way up to Jacksonville (construction in Jacksonville has made 95 a bit rough).
95 and 10 in Jax has been under construction since I was 6, it will never be completed.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Florida has perhaps the highest number of toll roads in the country apart from Texas.

Florida has huge numbers of uninsured people and huge numbers who die every year as a result of not getting access to health care.
Yes , be careful driving around Orlando , that is one huge trap of
toll roads . Drove around there last time I was in Florida and
it seemed like every mile or two it was time to pay the toll again.

I believe this is what our new president is hoping to impose
on all of us by privatizing the highways.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Florida has perhaps the highest number of toll roads in the country apart from Texas.

Florida has huge numbers of uninsured people and huge numbers who die every year as a result of not getting access to health care.

Unemployment insurance in FL is one of the lowest in the USA - max check is $275/week and max number of weeks is 12 weeks.

Florida gets a lot of free federal money to renourish sand on beaches(it erodes on a regular basis ) - even beaches behind personal homes and condos and hotels. So the feds are helping out Florida too. I don't think CA gets beach renourishment like Florida because of CA's higher elevation and rocks on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies