Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

After experiencing them both, why is Florida run in such much more up-scale way then the state of California.

Looks like Governor Jerry Brown fantasies are happening in Florida because of a Republican governor.

Passenger Train Travel Miami To Orlando FL - Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach | All Aboard Florida

I also noticed no matter where I went in Florida it seemed as though silky-smooth roads and sidewalks, as opposed to California's roads that are falling apart and crumbling sidewalks.

Florida hospitals also have very good reviews compared to most California hospitals.

California's health-care system is a network of mainly unionized public hospitals that are falling apart due to pension needs or for-profit hospitals.

Florida on the other hand seems to lots of highly-regarded hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and Florida Health which has high ratings and looks like a state of the art health campus.

Florida also likely has better public schools because Floridians have far less children then Californians.

Californians schools are completely overwhelmed compared to Florida which benefits from a relatively low percentage of children.

LAUSD is so overwhelmed with pensions it's only a few years from a possibly bankruptcy

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...104-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I live in Florida, and it is our tourists and Winter residents who shore up our economy. Without them, we would not be as prosperous. Everyone who lives here grumbles about the crowded roads when they return, but they are why we have such low taxes and cost of living.

We lived in California at one time, and I couldn't afford to live there, and was making good money. I make less here and live so much better.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:11 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
definitely NOT Tricky Ricky! ( thief) we put the gas tax into the roads but if its does look nice-- people will not come- it is our #1 source of revenue- California has HUGE farms- wineries etc etc we have beach, sun, clean air- and pretty!! - as far as hospital? what most of the visitors are 90? yea they spend 1/2 under the sun golfing the other 1/2 in the hospital;

and we only have 3 large cities- Miami -Orlando and Jacksonville - Tampa-bay trails because the cities are divided -
we are a haven for taxes one thing I do not like about snow birds- they buy homes and do not live in them --

Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
You apparently have not had the pleasure of driving on I-95 in South Florida. Might as well be a dirt road.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You apparently have not had the pleasure of driving on I-95 in South Florida. Might as well be a dirt road.
yea why i take RT #27 but they were fixing it right?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
After experiencing them both, why is Florida run in such much more up-scale way then the state of California.

Looks like Governor Jerry Brown fantasies are happening in Florida because of a Republican governor.

I also noticed no matter where I went in Florida it seemed as though silky-smooth roads and sidewalks, as opposed to California's roads that are falling apart and crumbling sidewalks.

Florida hospitals also have very good reviews compared to most California hospitals.

Most roads in Florida are county or city roads. Although some are state or federal roads.

Most Florida hospitals are private. The public ones are not state run.

Sidewalks are usually owned and maintained by the county or city.

Florida gets a lot of tax money from visitors via taxes on hotels and rental properties that are rented for less than 6 months. Roads are maintained mostly with gas tax.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I'm curious. How have you "experienced" both states? Have you ever been in a FL hospital? (I have) Have you ever worked in FL? (I have)

I don't know where you are getting your information. Both are large states, although CA is much larger in land mass and population.

[URL="http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2016/09/07/health-care-rankings-florida-falls-to-bottom-of.html"]Health care rankings: Florida falls to bottom of nation[/URL]

Both states have high school rankings according to this report. CA #3 and FL #4.

[URL="http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare"]How States Compare in the 2016 Best High Schools Rankings[/URL]

Florida is #15 in Poverty Level, 16.7% Calif isn't too far ahead, but is ranked #18, 15.8%

[url=http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/us-poverty-rate-by-state.html]US Poverty Level By State - WorldAtlas.com[/url]

I don't know why you started this thread, but if it's to show that red states have better schools than blue states, you're going to lose that argument. Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts are consistently are listed in the top 5. The top hospitals in the U.S. are also in blue states.

By the way, Calif has a lower crime rate than Florida as long as you're making comparisons.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
conservative vs liberals

Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I hate California traffic... I love the idea that liberals are suffering immensely with the traffic congestion...

Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Florida is up-scale? <snicker>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies