Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:14 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
get over it.

Get on boards or get left behind.
On board what? A careening truck that changes direction like most people change socks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I despise Trump. That said, I hope he can solve some of the big problems we are facing. Cannot say I have much faith in him but I still hope he can effect positive change. Too many in this country are suffering.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
the left is going to sit on the sidelines and then wonder why they were left behind.. because they are intolerant whiny crybaby children who refuse to accept what is and work with the other side... they actually believe their rhetoric about Trump being a racist.

It's evidenced by the OP's post they are half off their rockers.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets congratulate Trump on his victory, and congratulate the small number of Americans who voted for Trump, and able to sway the electoral college in Trumps favor. Most Americans did not vote, or voted for Hillary. I myself did not vote for Trump, or Hillary. But if I had to choose, I would choose Trump over Hillary. I myself is no longer a democrat, and now a proud independent. Now that Trump is being sworn in. He will be sworn into a divided America. An America that is divided by class due to the increasingly inequality set by Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr. and Obama which caused many in Middle America to slowly suffer within a span of two generations. We are also divided by race, which is a result of class issues that have not been resolved, like immigrants taking jobs from Americans, decline in wages, jobs going overseas, jobs for minorities, as well as marginalization of black Americans, and Native American land rights. We are also divided by parties and within our parties. Civil War in the Republican party, and three part Civil War in the democratic party. America has not seen so much division since the days of the Civil Rights era, of not that maybe during Buchanan/Lincoln era which resulted in the US Civil War where the South did accept Lincoln victory because he was not on the ballot. It is nice to see a transfer of power, that is peaceful and just for all persons to see. Since Trump presides over a divided America, he needs to find a way to make people United as Americans. Can white nationalists, white supremacists, republican Jews, rural blacks, blue collar whites and rust belt middle Americans, put a side their differences with rest of America? Only time will tell. But people must be united, and rally behind Trump, he has no political experience, and therefore a kosher boy dud from Queens NY. We need to give him confidence, along with his staff and his broken, but lovely family. As for me? I put my support behind Trump, why? He is our president, however I'm not liable for how this country goes because I did not vote for him. Liability is on those who voted for him such as white nationalist, middle Americans, blue collar whites and blacks and so on, but I'm not mad because its your vote, and you guys made choice, whether if its right or wrong. I just hope the victor and loser can work together and try to heal, and move forward not just as individuals, but united as Americans. I want to wish Trump good luck.

So you say ALL of the stuff above about how we need to work towards an undivided nation, but throw in your disclaimer that you didn't vote for him and that those who did are liable for the outcome? Trump has made some big claims about how he is turning the country back over to us ALL. So now that he has said it, we should all work towards holding him to that statement. If he doesn't deliver on his promises, then we as a country should ensure that he is not re-elected. But we have to give him the opportunity to try and work with him to make it happen any way that we can.

We ALL play a part in the outcome of this country whether you choose to believe that or not. If folks who don't support Trump do nothing but protest it does nothing but further divide the country. There weren't these types of protests when Obama was elected and re-elected. Those who didn't vote for him absolutely shared their concern but didn't do it in such a way as to be nationally publicized and stir divisiveness amongst citizens.

As for voter turnout..... it isn't as simple a reason as people didn't vote and the electoral college was the only thing that swayed the vote. There were multiple factors at play.

Lower voter turnout in some areas means people didn't vote for either person. That harmed Hillary's chances in key areas where she needed people to vote.

Some states also implemented stricter voting laws that included requiring Photo ID, early voting cutbacks, and some other laws that reduced the number of eligible voters.

The blue collar democratic folks who could have helped Hillary didn't show up.

Around 58% of the voting public went to the polls, which is almost even with the number of people that turned out in the 2012 election. It's more of WHO came out to vote than how many. The country shifted course.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
the left is going to sit on the sidelines and then wonder why they were left behind.. because they are intolerant whiny crybaby children who refuse to accept what is and work with the other side... they actually believe their rhetoric about Trump being a racist.

It's evidenced by the OP's post they are half off their rockers.
Thank you for that FINE description of the RW over the past 8 years!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Since when have we not been a divided America?

It's only going to get worse, because Americans know, they didn't elect Trump, Russia did.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. It was kind of bad before he took office. We've been divided from day one, going back to the very beginning.

if you believe race relations have not deteriorated in the last 8 years under Obama, I have bridges to sell you.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I despise Trump. That said, I hope he can solve some of the big problems we are facing. Cannot say I have much faith in him but I still hope he can effect positive change. Too many in this country are suffering.

"suffering" after 8 years of Obama ?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
if you believe race relations have not deteriorated in the last 8 years under Obama, I have bridges to sell you.
I think the persons who were always bigots just came out of the woodwork. Race relations have been kind of lousy, period. With social media and the internet, more and more of the bigoted types can vent their rage. Before, things were under the surface. We've been a divided nation from day one.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
It's only going to get worse, because Americans know, they didn't elect Trump, Russia did.
I hope this is sarcasm. If not, how would you know if Russia elected Trump? I haven't seen any proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies