Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times

Advertisements

I'm all for locking them up...but not in the sense of putting them in jail. I think they should be held in an in-patient drug rehab program. Giving them an option to attend out-patient, or even voluntarily attending an in-patient rehab program, isn't working too well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
So, again, why is alcohol legal. It was illegal during prohibition. Why not make it illegal again? And cigarettes.

Crack Babies: Twenty Years Later : NPR

Quote:
And to a great extent, this was sort of based on the really huge problem of fetal alcohol syndrome which does a lot of damage to unborn children's brains.
Quote:
And unfortunately I had several women who were seriously depressed and I had to leave them on antidepressant medication that works similar to cocaine and they were pregnant and they had their children and I watched these children grow up to be 10 years old and I did not see any evidence of this horrible brain damage that was being proposed.
Quote:
Dr. BELL: Alcohol is an extremely destructive drug. See, the problem is that cigarettes, nicotine and alcohol are legal and all the other illegal drugs are not, but the medical biologic reality is that alcohol and nicotine actually do more harm to a developing brain than all the other legal drugs combined. And so it's an oxymoronic kind of situation we find ourselves in.
Blue highlight my emphasis. I believe the article in last quoted paragraph meant "illegal drugs combined."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...7/#!po=2.77778

Quote:
Prenatal exposure to drugs: effects on brain development and implications for policy and education

Barbara L. Thompson, Pat Levitt, and Gregg D. Stanwood
Quote:
Many legal drugs such as nicotine and alcohol can produce more severe deficits on brain development than some illicit drugs such as cocaine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies