Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What do you guys think?
NAFTA isn't free trade, it's managed trade that helps cronies.
Reagan was a bald faced liar who raised taxes on Americans many times.

Hopefully Trump will help we the people instead of the 1 percent that too many past presidents have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One correction/addition, while Reagan did give amnesty it was with the direct promise from Congress that the open border would be dealt with which never happened. This is the same lie that's been perpetrated on the public over and over again. "Well, just give this group a pass and we'll close the border" LIE,LIE,LIE. We wouldn't be in this position had Congress done what it promised years ago...
That's in the same category as "union busting", only half the story is told. In reality, the union was the Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) which was involved in an illegal strike directly in contravention of their contract. It was a public employees union.

President Reagan gave them a time certain to return to work, I think it was 48 hours, and most refused, they were then fired. Which was also contractual.

I had a couple friends who were controllers. One returned to work while the other one, who didn't believe he could be fired, did not and was. He was going off his heritage as the son and grandson of steelworkers who would strike on a regular basis and always return to work when it was over. He chose poorly.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What do you guys think?
Well, remembering the Mayaguez Incident and the mining of Haiphong Harbor,

I wouldn't quite call either Ford or Nixon "duds".

Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I liked Gorbachev.
He was the guy who kept the troops in the barracks when the wall started to crumble. It certainly wasn`t Reagan.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Reagan was a tool just like Clinton, Obama, and both Bush's.

Trump is America now, and America won today for once. The people that can't see this are either stupid, or they let their emotions overpower logic. There really is no other way to put it. If you listened to Trump's speech today and had a problem with it, then you need to get the **** out of this country. You have no business being here. It's really that simple.

I find it fascinating that Trump's support is so broad. The media likes to paint this picture of Trump supporters being uneducated racist white men, but the truth is that most of his supporters were overwhelmingly more informed than the bases of previous presidents. The lesson to be learned here is that people will only put up with so much BS before they seek the truth.

And....well.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTKN0DaxzQ
I'm stupid, huh? Well, let me tell you this.

-Threatening to declare martial law over Chicagi
-Supporting the implementation of a nationwide stop and frisk policy
-Gag order over the NPS
-Trying to hush the press
-One of his cabinet members says "we can disagree with facts"
-The whole "alternative facts" thing.
-Requiring research to be screened by the President. Tell me, why should I trust a President, who has no background in science, with that research, more than the EPA?

I am very well informed. That is why I don't support Trump. I'm stuck with him for the next 4 years. I should get out if I don't like him? You don't get to tell me whether I should stay or not. I make that choice.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Reagan is spinning in his grave knowing that a majority of the Republican base is sympathizing and praising ex-KGB Vladimir Putin during the election cycle.
Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. We should have left the Commies alone in Afghanistan. They'd probably still be there dieing instead of us.....

Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Trump is probably the first major candidate since George Wallace who is accurately tapped into the public mood. Conservatism has changed.
You're right about that. A lot of parallels between Wallace and Trump. Both had similar populist neo-fascist agendas, both tapped into the segregationist and isolationist mindset.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You're right about that. A lot of parallels between Wallace and Trump. Both had similar populist neo-fascist agendas, both tapped into the segregationist and isolationist mindset.
One difference. Wallace lost. And I'm thankful for that. He would have led the nation down the Jim Crow path. I was born during the late end of the Reagan years, but I wonder what kind of effect Wallace would have had. With President Trump, I can only look to his authoritarian, quasi-fascist ways, and some of the things he has said which have been racially charged. I don't have anything else to go on.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One correction/addition, while Reagan did give amnesty it was with the direct promise from Congress that the open border would be dealt with which never happened. This is the same lie that's been perpetrated on the public over and over again. "Well, just give this group a pass and we'll close the border" LIE,LIE,LIE. We wouldn't be in this position had Congress done what it promised years ago...
Well, fun facts....but what did "dealt with" mean? As you well know, decent Republicans and Democrats have tried to "deal with" comprehensive immigration reform and been stopped dead by the GOP far-right.

Also, the same Big Business that the government was signed over to since Reagan (or before) needs and wanted all the immigrant labor - that continues to this day.

Ever wonder why they never started with REAL employer or corporate fines or jail time for those employing 100's of immigrants? Answer: Lobbyists

We all sit here and act like we want our own children packing meat, cutting off chicken heads and picking lettuce. I say this is untrue. Maybe I am out of touch with my fellow Americans.

Are current Americans lining up to do this work?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One difference. Wallace lost. And I'm thankful for that. He would have led the nation down the Jim Crow path. I was born during the late end of the Reagan years, but I wonder what kind of effect Wallace would have had. With President Trump, I can only look to his authoritarian, quasi-fascist ways, and some of the things he has said which have been racially charged. I don't have anything else to go on.
Oh, no doubt Bannon and Sessions and friends would...if they could...but they can't.

Donald likes anything on two legs with either money or a puzzy. He's not a racist because he wants to sell condos, get financing, and/or con (Trump U, etc.) anyone or anything with cash in the bank.

We can call him an oligarch or autocrat but not a racist. Of course, he is surrounding himself with the worse elements of....well, just about everything.

This is going downhill much quicker than I imagined. Now the Americans who make the 250 BILLION dollars worth of goods we export to Mexico are going to have to start worrying. Mexicans are used to hardship.....Americans less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies