Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

Reagan is a mixed bag.

Pluses:

He stopped the rampant inflation of the 1970s, reaching 13% by 1980, with interest rates hitting 20% by that same year. By 1984, both rates fell by half and continued to fall throughout his term and into the 90s. Cut by over half
By the end of his first term, the economy was in increasingly good shape and getting even better by the late 80s.

Sped up the end date to the Cold War. Yes, the USSR and eastern Europe were in such bad shape that their collapse before 2010 was pretty much inevitable (if not before 2000). Nevertheless, his increases in military budget plus support for the so-called Star Wars missile defense system were powerful diplomatic weapons. This showed the USSR system simply could not keep up with the US system, and in effect, Gorbachev sued for peace. Reagan's support for Afghan Mujahedeen guerillas against Soviet invaders (though reckless in hindsight, put this under "mixed").

Minuses:

Tax cuts for the rich, under the theory that the wealthy will invest their money into businesses, thus creating more jobs for everyone else. We know how that went.

*The wealthy actually spent it instead of investing it as heavily as the Reagan admin thought it would.
- starting a glorification of conspicuous consumption and a middle class pursuit of the dollar.
- accellerating gaps between the rich and poor, continuing to this day.
- enormously increased the national debt and deficit.

*Further strengthening of the military-industrial complex. Perhaps necessary to speed the end of the Cold War, but has now long outlived its usefulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Reagan is a mixed bag.

Pluses:

He stopped the rampant inflation of the 1970s, reaching 13% by 1980, with interest rates hitting 20% by that same year. By 1984, both rates fell by half and continued to fall throughout his term and into the 90s. Cut by over half
By the end of his first term, the economy was in increasingly good shape and getting even better by the late 80s.

Sped up the end date to the Cold War. Yes, the USSR and eastern Europe were in such bad shape that their collapse before 2010 was pretty much inevitable (if not before 2000). Nevertheless, his increases in military budget plus support for the so-called Star Wars missile defense system were powerful diplomatic weapons. This showed the USSR system simply could not keep up with the US system, and in effect, Gorbachev sued for peace. Reagan's support for Afghan Mujahedeen guerillas against Soviet invaders (though reckless in hindsight, put this under "mixed").

Minuses:

Tax cuts for the rich, under the theory that the wealthy will invest their money into businesses, thus creating more jobs for everyone else. We know how that went.

*The wealthy actually spent it instead of investing it as heavily as the Reagan admin thought it would.
- starting a glorification of conspicuous consumption and a middle class pursuit of the dollar.

*Further strengthening of the military-industrial complex. Perhaps necessary to speed the end of the Cold War, but has now long outlived its usefulness.
I have a guy at my job, he is a deplorable from California. He said Republicans are all the same. I had to laugh and giggle. If things were so good, why did you move to NYC and now you have a crap job? Whos to blame. Ahhhh, its these liberals. He did not know what Neoliberalism was and did not know that Reagan was neoliberal. Its hard for him to believe and swallow that Democrats and Republicans are one of the same. This guy sad that Ronald Reagan cut taxes for all Americans, because he said things were good economically in California at that time. I told him the tax cuts were not for the middle class, its for the rich so that money can be reinvested into business. We all know that didn't turn out that too well. Instead the investments went to offshoring and more capital greed in the form of capital gains.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What do you guys think?
Ronald Reagan? Take a seat please.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:11 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
It actually happened when Reagan deregulated.

I worked at a Lee Jeans plant in Alabama for 7 years from 1979 to 1986. Even up till the end we had won awards for being the top manufacturing plant in the United States. In 1987 we were asked to take a half cut in pay or they would close the plant and move it to Mexico.

I asked what has changed? They said they were no longer restricted to only 20% of investment outside of the country they now because of deregulation take every dollar out of the country. I asked what are we competing with.

They said 50 cents an hour.

NAFTA was actually just an after thought to deregulation because those countries that got our jobs could not even buy goods from us because we had no trade agreement. The average person thinks NAFTA traded our jobs away when it was already done by deregulation. NAFTA was an attempt to recoup some jobs back buy allowing those foreign countries to buy our goods.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm stupid, huh? Well, let me tell you this.

-Threatening to declare martial law over Chicagi
-Supporting the implementation of a nationwide stop and frisk policy
-Gag order over the NPS
-Trying to hush the press
-One of his cabinet members says "we can disagree with facts"
-The whole "alternative facts" thing.
-Requiring research to be screened by the President. Tell me, why should I trust a President, who has no background in science, with that research, more than the EPA?

I am very well informed. That is why I don't support Trump. I'm stuck with him for the next 4 years. I should get out if I don't like him? You don't get to tell me whether I should stay or not. I make that choice.
I love how you interpret what is said, makes for very dramatic (albeit false) stories. Let's just start with one, "martial law"? Where exactly did he SAY the words "martial law"?

Please show EXACTLY where he said those words...

Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, fun facts....but what did "dealt with" mean? As you well know, decent Republicans and Democrats have tried to "deal with" comprehensive immigration reform and been stopped dead by the GOP far-right.

Also, the same Big Business that the government was signed over to since Reagan (or before) needs and wanted all the immigrant labor - that continues to this day.

Ever wonder why they never started with REAL employer or corporate fines or jail time for those employing 100's of immigrants? Answer: Lobbyists

We all sit here and act like we want our own children packing meat, cutting off chicken heads and picking lettuce. I say this is untrue. Maybe I am out of touch with my fellow Americans.

Are current Americans lining up to do this work?
What exactly did you miss with the promise that the border would be closed? Instead you swerve off on a whole different tangent...

Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Oh, no doubt Bannon and Sessions and friends would...if they could...but they can't.

Donald likes anything on two legs with either money or a puzzy. He's not a racist because he wants to sell condos, get financing, and/or con (Trump U, etc.) anyone or anything with cash in the bank.

We can call him an oligarch or autocrat but not a racist. Of course, he is surrounding himself with the worse elements of....well, just about everything.

This is going downhill much quicker than I imagined. Now the Americans who make the 250 BILLION dollars worth of goods we export to Mexico are going to have to start worrying. Mexicans are used to hardship.....Americans less so.
Yeah, I guess we should forget about the trade imbalance...

Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Reagan is spinning in his grave knowing that a majority of the Republican base is sympathizing and praising ex-KGB Vladimir Putin during the election cycle.

Really? So Reagan can become a Republican but Putin will for ever be a communist. Why can't the morons in this country simply look at behavior? Do you think there is a vast welfare state in Russia? Do you any see signs of communism? I sure don't. That is not to say Putin is perfect. He is just another neoliberal like Reagan actually.Putin is a Russian Reagan.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:51 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Reagan is a mixed bag.

Pluses:

Hardly. Oil prices simply fell by then. Reagan was bailed out by Alaskan and North Sea oil. Russian oil was also coming on the market.

Quote:
Yeah so he started Islamic fundamentalism to speed up a doomed empire? Funny thing is the Russian nation was born with Slavs absorbing Swedes. Bulgaria was born with Slavs absorbing the Bulgars. It never occurs to anyone that the Russian empire was destroyed by the Bolsheviks and that over time Russian national sentiment absorbed them over time once again? The Bolsheviks had no ethno nationalistic concept. Russia clearly does. Kind of why they made an Orthodox shrine where the last Russian Tzar was killed.
The Soviets were already the walking dead. And if you like the Afghanistan operation that much it was Carter that started that business. He staged the coup to draw in the Soviets.

Quote:
Minuses:

I agree with the minuses.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Reagan is dead... let him rest. All this revisionist history of Reagan isn't healthy. He had a smooth voice but the guy spent like crazy and trickle down didn't work. Under Reagan we saw CEO's earnings climb insanely high while folks bashed unions for job losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies