Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well I guess we have our answer to this one, Sessions withdrew the DOJ objection to voter of law labeling it discriminatory. ....
Withdrawing anything that Loretta Lynch came up with, is a good thing. Really doesn't matter what it is.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
ID is required for just about everything these days, from receiving healthcare to banking to check cashing to obtaining any social services to driving to working. It's mind boggling that so many people live through adulthood without any ID.

I'm aware of the logistics issue that ID requirements create for poor people in rural areas (especially in the Rio Grande Valley here in TX) and I believe the main issue isn't just getting to the DMV for an ID - it's obtaining the necessary documentation beforehand. Certified birth certificates and SS cards are a requirement in order to get an ID, and obtaining those documents is more trouble than many people wish to go through. That's not an issue of racism, so I reject the "R" label on this issue. If free documentation service is offered to low income adults then there's really just no excuse - especially given that you can't collect social services without it.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
ID is required for just about everything these days, from receiving healthcare to banking to check cashing to obtaining any social services to driving to working. It's mind boggling that so many people live through adulthood without any ID.

I'm aware of the logistics issue that ID requirements create for poor people in rural areas (especially in the Rio Grande Valley here in TX) and I believe the main issue isn't just getting to the DMV for an ID - it's obtaining the necessary documentation beforehand. Certified birth certificates and SS cards are a requirement in order to get an ID, and obtaining those documents is more trouble than many people wish to go through. That's not an issue of racism, so I reject the "R" label on this issue. If free documentation service is offered to low income adults then there's really just no excuse - especially given that you can't collect social services without it.
Exactly. There possibly could be a few 80+ year olds without official birth certificates, and whatever agencies/social worker is involved can figure out how to address that, but there is no excuse for anyone else.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Exactly. There possibly could be a few 80+ year olds without official birth certificates, and whatever agencies/social worker is involved can figure out how to address that, but there is no excuse for anyone else.
There will be a few, but it's essentially tough luck for them.

Voter ID makes sense.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yeah, people missed this part. I assume you and I disagree on whether that is a good thing or not. As long as there are mechanisms for addressing the cost to low-income non-drivers, I am all for voter ID laws.
Yes if they can come up with a system that won't exclude thousands of voters as is the case with the current proposal .

Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm surprised anyone who calls our ID law racist has the intellect to feed themselves.

I agree......strongly!

Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
Because poor folks are less likely to have driver's licenses. Like gerrymandering, it's a way to get the voters you want while keeping out the ones you don't want.

It seems to me, many people on here have not voted and aren't aware of how difficult it is to commit voter fraud on any significant level.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm surprised anyone who calls our ID law racist has the intellect to feed themselves.
Wouldn't call them racist, just meant to make it harder for their opposition to vote.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Without an in date, valid ID is more accurate, but every state is different. I couldn't vote with my expired ID but I could certainly get medical services and financial services with an expired ID over the years.

I'm aware of the logistics issue that ID requirements create for poor people in rural areas (especially in the Rio Grande Valley here in TX) and I believe the main issue isn't just getting to the DMV for an ID - it's obtaining the necessary documentation beforehand. Certified birth certificates and SS cards are a requirement in order to get an ID, and obtaining those documents is more trouble than many people wish to go through. That's not an issue of racism, so I reject the "R" label on this issue. If free documentation service is offered to low income adults then there's really just no excuse - especially given that you can't collect social services without it.[/quote]

It's not racist, just meant to make it harder for the opposition to vote. I agree with the bolded, but that's not the case as you've illustrated.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Because poor folks are less likely to have driver's licenses. Like gerrymandering, it's a way to get the voters you want while keeping out the ones you don't want.

It seems to me, many people on here have not voted and aren't aware of how difficult it is to commit voter fraud on any significant level.
If you read up on the history you will see that it exclude legitimate voters and lacked any proof of actual fraud. It sure seems to be intentional so Sessions should have pursued the issue but this is why they elected Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies