Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I actually doubt that.

This is anecdotal, I know, but I went to a movie theater, that was sold out, to watch the inauguration in 2009. Out of curiosity, I checked this year, and the theater was not showing the inauguration.

Also, there were "probably" not as many on the Mall? How about there were DEFINITELY not as many on the Mall.

You sound like Trump when you question something that is obviously a fact.

At least make an excuse, like "D.C. and it's suburbs are filled with liberals," or "it was raining." Don't say there is some doubt about whether Trump or Obama had more people attend his inauguration.
Many more people stream it online now compared to 2009. Nobody is going to a movie theater. He probably did have the largest worldwide audience due to streaming.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.be14ba9c3b52

I just don't get stuff like this. I'm not a Republican or Democrat, just someone who believes in free market capitalism and other economic issues. But there are pictures and videos...so how is the coverage wrong. Seriously, there weren't large crowds at the inauguration. Can someone who is drinking the Trump kool-aid explain this thinking to me?

This absurd stuff also makes me start hating this administration. Srsly, why are you complaining about the media reporting the truth.
Day 1 and it was important to Trump to compare the size of crowds and make the false claim he had the hugest crowd or " whatever".

Think SNL went into rewrite mode on the one.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I think there is a pretty good chance that there was indeed a larger audience (when one includes all foreign and domestic broadcasts that covered the inauguration) at this ceremony than there was even for Obama's first one. There were probably not as many on the Mall itself but the audience was much larger than that. The issue here is that the media was focussing only on who was there in person and that was not fair.
No there isn't a "good chance".

There is no chance.

"probably not as many" isn't an accurate description as "1/3 as many or less".

In terms of how many are there in-person, that's the whole idea here! It doesn't take much effort to turn on the TV...and even Trump haters are going to do that (in some cases...I didn't watch).

But only those who feel that it is a "moment in history" worth being at will attend. The American People obviously didn't feel that way.

The numbers are even worse when you consider a lot of "base" audience had to be there (Security, Pols, Media and 10's of thousands of others).

We really should have only "fact based" discussions. I've been counting crowds for 45 years - having been at quite a few over 100K (army-navy game, Vietnam marches on DC, etc.).

It's really not to hard to come somewhat close based on various criteria. No - you don't get it down to 1% or anything, but you can be within 15-20% easily.

The bigger problem here is frankly folk like you who are not being fact-based. As if the Metro made up their ridership and the number of busses given permits was fabricated...and the pictures lied.

You think this for one reason - you love Trump and, whether you know it or not, you are an Authoritarian and therefore tend to believe what he puts out. There is not other explanation for it since the majority of what he says is simply untrue - but any real measure.

But, hey, Scientologists believe we come from aliens. There is room for everyone in this great country. But, please, don't enter into fact-based debates with talking points that have zero chance of being truthful.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The media sure seemed to be since yesterday.
I didn't realize that the media wasn't supposed to report the news.
What do you want them to do instead?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You know what is enlightening and encouraging ? If you look at the huge number of posts on this thread where people are frankly very disgusted with Trumps childish behavior, it shows the tide is turning.

We all said that he could fake it during the election, but once he actually had to become our President, he would fall on his face. I think we have just seen the first evidence of how he is no different today than he has been all his life. You can only fool people for so long. THIS is the real Donald Trump , and no amount of acting, lying, or promises can cover up the fact that he is only in this game for himself.

Nice to be among smart people who see things the way they truly are, and who are not afraid to speak up.
I've been thinking similarly.
And even though i'm one of those far left, radical elitists i actually have respect for and think that Americans are pretty savvy overall and that yes they were fooled (happens to the best of us ... who hasn't been conned in some way or other by a skillful manipulative person?) but they are going to snap out of it at some point, swallow their pride, admit their mistake and see what's happening and join the protest against this maniac. Their republican representatives will listen to them if those politicians want to hold their seats of power.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Many more people stream it online now compared to 2009. Nobody is going to a movie theater. He probably did have the largest worldwide audience due to streaming.
Streams can be - and are - counted.

And let's not pretend that the rest of the world...or even a lot of the USA....were watching it because they thought it was a "good thing". They are watching it more like the Nuremberg Rallies and shuddering.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:50 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You know what is enlightening and encouraging ? If you look at the huge number of posts on this thread where people are frankly very disgusted with Trumps childish behavior, it shows the tide is turning.

We all said that he could fake it during the election, but once he actually had to become our President, he would fall on his face. I think we have just seen the first evidence of how he is no different today than he has been all his life. You can only fool people for so long. THIS is the real Donald Trump , and no amount of acting, lying, or promises can cover up the fact that he is only in this game for himself.

Nice to be among smart people who see things the way they truly are, and who are not afraid to speak up.
the tide is turning? The election is over. The country is not governed by how many CD posts like or don't like Trump.

Time for the reality of 4 years of Trump and likely 4 years GOP control of congress and a Supreme Court heavily stacked with GOP nominees.

You have four years to come up with a better candidate, hopefully for your sake one that is not also under criminal investigation. When your only hope for victory is if the FBI drops the criminal probe you are in deep trouble.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Streams can be - and are - counted.

And let's not pretend that the rest of the world...or even a lot of the USA....were watching it because they thought it was a "good thing". They are watching it more like the Nuremberg Rallies and shuddering.
Well, let's see the numbers then. I bet it's the record with both fans and enemies watching in larger numbers than ever before.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:55 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
I want to see an erudite, well-spoken, intellectual as president. Not a weird man with psychological issues who thinks he's the best at everything. Don't get me wrong, we put up a LOUSY candidate in Gary Johnson, but I'd like to see a top MIT or Univ of Chicago economics professor leading this country, instead of Trump. What is wrong with being a decent individual who is well read, doesn't curse, doesn't assault women on a regular basis, doesn't repeatedly lie, hasn't been divorced multiple times, etc. Someone who is a "sunday school teacher." I didn't realize that Republicans had such a problem with those type of persons

Old 01-21-2017, 08:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I doubt he'll finish his term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies