Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Do you seriously have no idea why the ACA was created in the first place? Without the subsidies health insurance is way out of reach for most people. It would be way out of reach for people who get their insurance through employers, too, if that wasn't also heavily subsidized by the government.

How very sad that someone needs to explain that to you.
You shouldn't get subsidies. You make enough money and if you don't, you should be rethinking your line of self employment.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
There will ALWAYS be people working minimum wage jobs.

Everyone can't be on the top half of the totem pole.

Someone has to take care of grandma in the nursing home, someone has to work in fast food, someone has to work retail, someone has to empty waste baskets and clean toilets.

It is sad that our society doesn't place enough value on those jobs to provide those working them a living wage and health insurance, after all, our society couldn't function without someone doing those jobs.
So...people shouldn't even try to make themselves better? I don't get it...

And there always will be people working minimum wage. 16-17 year olds will always be looking for their first job, and going from there....the circle of life.

But if you accept the fact that things will never change and you're stuck and the government will always be there to "help" you, that's your own issue and you'll always be stuck.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
There will ALWAYS be people working minimum wage jobs.

Everyone can't be on the top half of the totem pole.

Someone has to take care of grandma in the nursing home, someone has to work in fast food, someone has to work retail, someone has to empty waste baskets and clean toilets.

It is sad that our society doesn't place enough value on those jobs to provide those working them a living wage and health insurance, after all, our society couldn't function without someone doing those jobs.
And there will always be a social safety net. Women, men, and children will always have that available if they run into hard times. But it is no longer about hard times; it's become a lifestyle. The vast, vast majority of women are hard working and want to provide for themselves and their families (and do so!). There should be such a minuscule amount of women who would need assistance with paying for contraceptive that a charity such as Planned Parenthood should be would be enough to cover them. Again, having the government pay for contraception is not a right. This is where the women's march absolutely failed. They conflated policy and preference with rights which just made them looked uninformed and petty.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Planned Parenthood has been around a long time and they have already lost funding in several states. They have been able to continue to offer services on a sliding scale in those states because they have a lot of loyal and generous donors. If you hate the idea of them losing government funding know that you can still donate money to them as can your friends. Just because the government may not be giving to them doesn't mean that you can't.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
This.

I can't fathom why this is so hard for people. My parents went from not having anything, working hard, and now own a nice sized home.

I didn't grow up rich myself, I grew up lower class from the projects, but....I graduated high school, paid my way through college and worked during college to pay for my own tuition ($10 bucks an hour taking small jobs), graduated, then I applied to real world jobs. I started small at a temp agency, worked my butt off, and ended up getting hired on full-time at one of the top financial firms in the nation, and now I work in DC for the DOT. I also own a home and I own a nice car, while I have several investments in stocks/mutual funds. And I make six figures. I just turned 30, and I'm a black male...

I did all of this myself...without help....

I don't understand why this is so hard for everyone else...like honestly, I really don't get it. You work hard for things....you get things...

There are a lot of people who simply are not smart enough to accomplish what you did.

What do you think happens to the "slow" kids in school? Those who were barely smart enough to make it out of high school?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Planned Parenthood has been around a long time and they have already lost funding in several states. They have been able to continue to offer services on a sliding scale in those states because they have a lot of loyal and generous donors. If you hate the idea of them losing government funding know that you can still donate money to them as can your friends. Just because the government may not be giving to them doesn't mean that you can't.
This!! I don't have a problem with Planned Parenthood; they just need to raise their funds like other charities. The government does not need to fund them. All those women yesterday at the march can donate and thus PP continues to offer services.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:54 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people who simply are not smart enough to accomplish what you did.

What do you think happens to the "slow" kids in school? Those who were barely smart enough to make it out of high school?
That's just the thing. People can't do research for themselves...hence, the mess we're in right now with all these people freaking out over things they don't know why.

I wish we lived in a nation that had people think for themselves, rather than things they read on Facebook. People make themselves oppressed. Not anything else, unfortunately.

There is even things for "slow" people to learn things. My niece has cerebral palsy. Yet, she is doing things.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This!! I don't have a problem with Planned Parenthood; they just need to raise their funds like other charities. The government does not need to fund them. All those women yesterday at the march can donate and thus PP continues to offer services.
Yep. All of the branches that I know of have a fundraising department and they bring in a lot of money that way. Planned Parenthood is a very organized, well run non profit. They will stay afloat if the people who believe in their services support them. There are many ways to support them. You can give money, you can volunteer your time and best of all, you can also go to them for services such as paps and support them by being a customer.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
So...people shouldn't even try to make themselves better? I don't get it...

And there always will be people working minimum wage. 16-17 year olds will always be looking for their first job, and going from there....the circle of life.

But if you accept the fact that things will never change and you're stuck and the government will always be there to "help" you, that's your own issue and you'll always be stuck.
You don't seem to understand that some people simply do not have the IQ to get a college degree or a high paying job.

There are students who will never get a higher grade than a D no matter how HARD they try, just as most people couldn't be Einstein no matter how hard they tried.

Those people deserve a living wage and health insurance. Just because they can't work smart does not mean they don't work HARD.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that some people simply do not have the IQ to get a college degree or get a high paying job.

There are students who will never get a higher grade than a D no matter how HARD they try, just as most people couldn't be Einstein no matter how hard they tried.

Those people deserve a living wage and health insurance. Just because they can't work smart does not mean they don't work HARD.
A good argument for moving away from the college for all plan to one where we value skilled trades again. Increasing both the opportunity for skilled trades jobs and bringing back that training (e.g. votech) is in line with Trump's plans. Why must it be fast food minimum wage or college and nothing in between? That's the sweet spot where skilled trades lives and which has been decimated by Democrat presidents (first Clinton and then Obama and frankly, Bush sucked at it too).

But getting away from the thread topic. As this pertains to women, they are losing no rights under this administration but are gaining opportunity. How can that be a bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies