Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Amazing answer..."tough love" is the appropriate way to deal with millions of low income workers not having access to healthcare.
That's what you got out of that? Nothing about getting them better jobs instead? Wow.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Oh I see, so since it was called a "women's march" the participants were only allowed to care about issues specific to women
No but I think the billing of it was the issue. It was advertised as a march to "protect women's rights." So perhaps it was simply advertised incorrectly. If it was just an anti-Trump protest, they should have just said so.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I was not able to get coverage because of scoliosis in my back...and sleep apnea. I most certainly will lose my insurance now if they repeal ACA.
At this point, Pandora's box is open. They can certainly repeal ACA, but failure to replace it post hasted with something else would be political suicide. Failure to maintain the "good parts" of ACA would be political suicide as well, so pre-existing conditions laws aren't going away. The underlying thing is that the repeal of ACA is a huge part of what got the Republicans elected this year. Working class America is suffering tremendously under Obamacare and the Democrats don't seem to give a damn. We'll have to wait and see what the Republicans come up with as a replacement, but I expect you're going to be just fine.

The single biggest issue that women's rights groups are concerned about is truthfully abortion and the continued funding of Planned Parenthood ... but for some reason, they don't want to come right out and say that.

I found this to be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKIOBOFaVYs

Old 01-23-2017, 12:37 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Ah hyperbole. The go-to method of argument from the left. Really? I mean really? The biggest issue for this administration is to get people off welfare and to get them jobs. How does that equate to destroying women's rights and "people starving and dying on the streets." Some of y'all really do need to calm down.
If you are correct that the 'biggest' issue is to get people off welfare and get them jobs, why was Trump's first act after being inaugurated signing an order that increases the cost of FHA mortgage insurance?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
If you are correct that the 'biggest' issue is to get people off welfare and get them jobs, why was Trump's first act after being inaugurated signing an order that increases the cost of FHA mortgage insurance?
It was better to stop it before it started, nothing has changed and it's just like it was under Obama for 8 years.

You can't think about homeownership if you are on welfare without a job so I don't know what your point is.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Now being intellectually dishonest is not cool. The lowering of FHA mortgage insurance was set to take place on the 27th of this month, something which was wrapped up in the flurry of last minute actions by Obama. He simply did not implement this newly created order. So no, no one rates were raised. They are the same as before. He spent quite a bit of time pushing the pause button on those last minute Obama moves as does every President when they first take office. He even sent out a memo telling agencies to add no new regulations for the time being until policies and regulations can be reviewed. Something just makes me think you wouldn't agree this was a good idea because of who did it.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
A good argument for moving away from the college for all plan to one where we value skilled trades again. Increasing both the opportunity for skilled trades jobs and bringing back that training (e.g. votech) is in line with Trump's plans. Why must it be fast food minimum wage or college and nothing in between? That's the sweet spot where skilled trades lives and which has been decimated by Democrat presidents (first Clinton and then Obama and frankly, Bush sucked at it too).

But getting away from the thread topic. As this pertains to women, they are losing no rights under this administration but are gaining opportunity. How can that be a bad thing?

Taking away a woman's right to choose is losing a right, don't even try to pretend otherwise.

What kinds of vocational jobs are you referring to?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Taking away a woman's right to choose is losing a right, don't even try to pretend otherwise.

What kinds of vocational jobs are you referring to?
Oh? There was a policy put forth by Trump that changes a woman's ability to get an abortion? Wow, I missed that.

On vocational jobs, you're at least my age so I'm sure you remember votech (I'm pretty sure!). Everything from electricians to welders to car repair to cosmetology. Yes these still exist at junior college but it was a great option and choice for those students who couldn't and wouldn't ever go to college and they didn't have to take out student loans to pay for it. They took business math instead of calculus, etc. Nothing wrong with the skilled trades and any or all of those women could be equally employed in as men. One can earn a decent living in those skilled trades.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I don't get it. What rights are threatened?
The Supreme Court decided in 1973 that abortion was lawful. According to the Right abortion rights can be reversed. They are already closing clinics in many right wing states to the point where a woman must leave the state to end a pregnancy.

We men are great at convincing women that they will see the second coming of Christ if they say yes. It's also men who are at the forefront of the anti abortion movement for some reason and at the back of the line for child support.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:59 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Oh? There was a policy put forth by Trump that changes a woman's ability to get an abortion? Wow, I missed that.

On vocational jobs, you're at least my age so I'm sure you remember votech (I'm pretty sure!). Everything from electricians to welders to car repair to cosmetology. Yes these still exist at junior college but it was a great option and choice for those students who couldn't and wouldn't ever go to college and they didn't have to take out student loans to pay for it. They took business math instead of calculus, etc. Nothing wrong with the skilled trades and any or all of those women could be equally employed in as men. One can earn a decent living in those skilled trades.
"But but but, ma'am, I want to study gender philosophy 5 years for free and to earn after that 150,000 a year! I'm entitled to this money!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies