Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I just think it would alleviate some political pressure off them if they also were strong advocates for pregnancy care as well as offering help connecting with adoption providers when they want to do so. But that's neither her nor there as they don't and as such should wrap their heads around the idea they will need to fund raise to replace federal dollars. They have plenty of supporters so it shouldn't be a problem. But federal funding of PP is not a right and never was. Best of luck to them in the future.

Do you have any proof that PP doesn't redirect women who are choosing adoption to the appropriate agencies?

Or is it that you prefer to assume they don't?

Old 01-23-2017, 02:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Do you have any proof that PP doesn't redirect women who are choosing adoption to the appropriate agencies?

Or is it that you prefer to assume they don't?
Huh? I was going by what you said.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:33 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Women don't want men telling them what they can do with their bodies. That includes abortion and equal pay.
That is NOT the point and you know it, or are very ignorant.

YOU choose, YOU PAY FOR IT.

How hard is that?

Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Bill?

Can't make this stuff up people.

I don't think I/others should be funding others health costs no matter what it's for. Me want?.....me pay.
Then hopefully you won't use Medicare when you're older, because part of my pay will go to subsidizing "your" health care costs.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
There's that, plus having an avowed woman-molester in office is pretty bizarre.
Apparently the thought didn't bother you when Bill Clinton was in office. And he was an actual woman molester, not just alleged by a media and left wing driven to destroy a candidate because they are threatened by him.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think this is as good a time as any for me to express what rights women are in danger of losing:

1. First and foremost, the right of choice when it comes to abortion. Trump will get to name the next Supreme Court Justice. I don't want to see another Antonin Scalia on the court. Most importantly, Trump will probably get to make other appointments. That places Roe v. Wade in serious jeopardy.

2. Equal pay. The new administration names an attorney general. Jeff Sessions is much less likely to be vigorous in pursuing court cases that protect women's rights than our last attorney general was. Equal pay only exists in theory unless court cases are brought against employers who find ways to break the law.

3. Economic issues. Women earn disproportionately less than men do and families headed by women are the most impoverished in this country. This is why issues like raising the minimum wage are more important to women than to men. It also follows that the new administration will be less protective of a safety net involving food stamps, TANF, housing allowances, and medicaid than the former president was.

4. Planned Parenthood. Funding Planned Parenthood is critical because in some areas of the country they have the only clinic within twenty or thirty miles of where many women live. Close those clinics and you have cut off access to a series of healthcare services.

You know, I didn't care much for Madonna, Angela Davis, or support for Palestinian rights which was part of what went on yesterday. However, it shows a great deal of ignorance when 3.5 million people march to not pay attention to anything, but litter. Time to face the fact that alot of people are genuinely hacked off and aren't going to take it lying down.

Anyone else want to name some more? These are real issues and no matter how much diehard Trump supporters claim they are not, erudite people know the truth.

Its really deeper than that though. A price will be paid by all vulnerable members of society as a result of this presidential election. Decent men and women care about issues that concern others than themselves. We seek a world where our children can grow up and develop all of their talents and live happy, productive lives. The new President continually offends and shows his ignorance. Most of us know, deep down, that not any real good can come for ordinary people from this man. I have no way to know where we will be in four years, but we have real fears that have a foundation.
Thank you.

I'll also add that I know many marched also because of anger about the culture of Sexism, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Assault in this country. Every woman I know - YES, EVERY WOMAN - has experienced some form of sexism, sexual harassment or sexual assault in their lives. If a man comments on our ass or breasts, we're supposed to take it as a compliment. If someone grabs us in a bar or party (or just walking around during the day - yes, it has happened), than we're supposed to just brush it off, walk away, don't anger him because it may get worse. Every day, a rape goes unreported because a woman is either not supported by her family, university, church to report the crime or she believes she is somehow at fault.

Of course, someone is going to say "but we have laws against all of those things." Why, yes, we do but are they actually enforced? Are the convicted sexual predators actually given appropriate sentences or merely slaps on the wrist?

And, now have a president who has openly bragged about using his celebrity status to assault women by grabbing their genitals. So, yeah, a lot of women aren't happy. This country has a serious issue with how is values (or devalues) its women.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM

274 posts, read 120,434 times
abortion

Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Apparently the thought didn't bother you when Bill Clinton was in office. And he was an actual woman molester, not just alleged by a media and left wing driven to destroy a candidate because they are threatened by him.
Let's not forget trying to bring Bill BACK into the White House even AFTER all his and Hillary's history and then the Liberals have the freekin' NERVE to complain about Trump.

Being that hypocritical just cracks me up every time!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Women lost FIRST when you elected a President that bragged about how "I tried to ***** her". And then "you can do anything you want; grab em by the *****Y."

Those words - uttered by a 60 year old man - told women exactly how he views them.

Secondly, his other proclamations as Candidate Trump were that ~ women should be punished if they have abortions.

Thirdly, his VP - the homophobe, woman-hating PENCE - told us all that Roe v Wade should be
'condemned to the ash heaps of history, where it belongs.".

That's just for starters.

This march was just putting them on notice. That's all.

I personally worship women.
There has never been the top or back of womans head I didn't like.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
It most certainly does.

BTW.....routine surgeries that you CONSENT to.

Having sex/BC failure is not CONSENT to pregnancy.
YES IT IS! One is consenting to take that risk. Surely we all know what can result from a sexual encounter. Again, men and women both have the right to abstain or consent to that risk, and no one is trying to take that away from them.
Quote:
Sex in a monogamous relationship does not risk a man's health.
That's simply not true. There's the risk that your partner may not actually be monogamous, so there are STDs. And even if she is, there are infections, and increased risks to one's heart.
Quote:
Having sex and getting pregnant are not two different things for women since the threat of pregnancy is always hanging over our heads unless we have had a hysterectomy or are well into menopause.

The only thing that mitigates that threat is knowing that we have the option to abort. As a woman in menopause, I can tell you, no longer having that threat hanging over my head is a big deal, no longer having to worry about abortion or pregnancy, something a man can NEVER understand.
Once again(last time), you can mitigate any risk by choosing to abstain, just as men can, like you said. That is your right; to do what you want with your body; consent or abstain.
And again, you're under this foolish notion that a pregnancy creates no risks or consequences for men. This is not the case. There are serious threats hanging over men as well; financial, emotional, social, etc. Despite this, you're perfectly comfortable denying men any right to decide what happens to their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies