Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,792,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I agree trump didn't start it. we did get better after the civil rights movement. racist went undercover for the most part. they started to ratchet up when we elected Obama, now they are out and proud.

like it or not trump has embolden racists just by not immediately disavowing people like david duke. America has elected a man who wants to register Muslims, build walls, brags about being powerful and rich enough to grab puss without asking, so yes it is "mind blowing" to ignore that we now have a president that calls Mexicans rapists and criminals only "supposing" some are good. the crass attitude and mind set is what the woman's march was all about.

They say it's okay because "it was taken out of context". Don't care. When you're the leader of the country you need to watch your words very carefully. This is why their speeches are often written out for them.
He may not even be a racist himself but to say things like that is just as bad because he knew it would get him elected. It is very irresponsible since as you say it "awakened" the racists. Now they don't have to be quiet about how they feel. Since the president is saying these things, they're likely going to feel it's okay to say whatever thought pops out of their head. I mean I'm all for honesty and being open otherwise but there is such a thing as tact so a line has to be drawn somewhere.
It's sad because I have a mental disability so I often have a lack of filter but even I know you don't say things like that in particular settings. It's just like if I came out IRL and said to an African American "I don't date your race sorry". It may be the truth but it's going to hurt someone's feelings for no good reason.
He is 70 freakin years old too so you'd think he would know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM

13,291 posts, read 9,818,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm all for free speech, which is why I'm not opposed to marches in Washington or elsewhere, protests, etc. That doesn't mean I agree with the tone or delivery or the messengers for that matter. And so what?

I can't control when I was born. All I can control is my own behavior and attitudes and what I do with the opportunities and challenges that are presented to me. So "in spite of being female," I've stood up for womens rights my entire life, and will continue to do so. That being said, I don't feel any compulsion to support vulgarity and hypocrisy from anyone "in the name of womens' rights." I don't get my strength as a woman from vulgarity and hypocrisy and I cringe when I see other women using such tactics and calling it "a march for womens' rights." We don't need to stoop so low and I hate to see women do that.
Who's we? If SOME want to march for women's rights, and SOME want to be vulgar whole doing it - well, what does it have to do with you? You may not get your strength from it but some may. It's their prerogative.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Who's we? If SOME want to march for women's rights, and SOME want to be vulgar whole doing it - well, what does it have to do with you? You may not get your strength from it but some may. It's their prerogative.
Of course it's their prerogative and I would never be in favor of limiting their rights to be vulgar and hypocritical.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:00 PM

18,439 posts, read 18,563,452 times
Quote:
Of course it's their prerogative and I would never be in favor of limiting their rights to be vulgar and hypocritical.
Go Girl..

Old 01-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
No, but you and a bunch of other complainers cannot resist the urge to voice your displeasure at them doing so.

Out of the millions of people that marched there were bound to be countless numbers who work hard for women in trouble, for kids in poverty, for schools and equality, domestic violence in their communities, shelters and homeless support, and yes - even Female Genital Mutilation.

Instead of supporting all these people that bothered to come out - multitudes of people you don't know and can't realistically criticize - you all jump in and invalidate their efforts because a few said the F word or wore a vagina on their head. OMG, they were VULGAR and vulgarity doesn't represent women. Oh BS.

How pathetically shallow and self serving you all are with your whining. I mean do or don't but what the eff is up with putting down those that chose to? Where is the value in that?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,616,771 times
Quote:
No, but you and a bunch of other complainers cannot resist the urge to voice your displeasure at them doing so.

Out of the millions of people that marched there were bound to be countless numbers who work hard for women in trouble, for kids in poverty, for schools and equality, domestic violence in their communities, shelters and homeless support, and yes - even Female Genital Mutilation.

Instead of supporting all these people that bothered to come out - multitudes of people you don't know and can't realistically criticize - you all jump in and invalidate their efforts because a few said the F word or wore a vagina on their head. OMG, they were VULGAR and vulgarity doesn't represent women. Oh BS.

How pathetically shallow and self serving you all are with your whining. I mean do or don't but what the eff is up with putting down those that chose to? Where is the value in that?
The marchers claim to represent women and a great many of us are saying they do not. We will not remain silent on city data just because people like you want us to.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
The marchers claim to represent women and a great many of us are saying they do not. We will not remain silent on city data just because people like you want us to.
Oh please, post away. "People like me" appreciate all opinions, but I will disagree with you if I see fit.

Here's the March organizers' mission statement. They did not claim to "represent women". Women were not forced to attend.

Quote:
Mission & Vision

We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families - recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 PM

88,552 posts, read 44,283,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post

Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Where were these women, they were right here. Many of them may have been involved in protests. Many of them may have been working to alleviate suffering. I know some of them in my little corner of the world were trying to get sponsors for refugees, were organizing with churches to send assistance to deal with the refugee crisis. I know some of them in my little corner of the world were trying to help the homeless in my little corner of the world, and were fighting for local laws to protect minorities.
Protests...Marching. Rallies. Where were they? Nowhere to be seen.

Quote:
Women around the world marched in solidarity because a new President in the most powerful country in the world was taking office, and they wanted to draw his attention, they wanted to demonstrate their numbers and their passion about human rights issues. If he's going to effect change in the world, these women want that change to be positive and pro-women and pro-humanity.
Women around the world DO NOT care about our petty problems and these are petty problems compared to theirs.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:

Yes, that's how I feel. What is the point of ignoring all those regular women, some of whom these posters surely know--I do--and focusing on the ones who acted more distastefully? I'm not a Madonna fan, although I have enjoyed a few of her songs, but I've never loved her. I am exactly 15 days older than she is, and I know that when she coughs hard, she pees in her pants.

But Madonna has always made a noise by trying to be outrageous and say shocking things. That's her whole schtick. So we're going to swoon and need smelling salts because she acted like herself at a public event?

That's not who I paid attention to. I loved the young guy who said he was walking for his mother and sister and aunt. I love my friends who marched in DC and actually WORK in the federal government who know better than we do what things are like inside those walls. I love the gay woman in my theological study group who was raised pagan and converted to Christianity who marched in Asbury Park, because she represents the fact that you can't just stick women in a box and say THIS is what a woman should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies