Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
don't think so

Republicans already seem to be at work planning for 2018 midterms

Trump DID try to appeal to minority voters. More than any other Republican tried.

And the plight of inner city America (who lost far more ground under BO than his predecessors in financial metrics such as workforce participation, gaps b/w their unemployment rate and the rest of their region's people, etc) was addressed for the first time, Friday, in an inaugural address.

DT won just about the same % of non-whites as most Republicans, and HRC performed among these groups about the same as Kerry. The difference-maker NAFTA brought Reagan Dems in Rust Belt home to the GOP. We welcome them and share their concerns about one-sided trade deals pre DT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 PM

484 posts, read 467,681 times
As for the original question, probably yes, some Republicans are too cocky right now over and above being happy that the party controls the White House and Congress.
As for me as a Republican, I am optimistic but hardly arrogant about it (other than to my more liberal friends who are still sulking). There's too much to be done to be cocky right now. Trump is going to get things done and he doesn't care who he pisses off. Fine by me.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Of course they will overreach. All politicians do when they have too much power, it doesn't matter the party.

Already we see people discounting how narrow the victory was, and that it wasn't based on any majority belief in "far right" politics.

People get stupid when they get too close to power.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would say Trump supporters are the delusional ones
I am not needing a safe place or a safety pin.....and I am not asking for free healthcare, free birth control, free abortions. I don't want to live on welfare. I don't want to feed my family with food stamps. Something about pride, when one is in their younger years asking for others to work, so, they can eat is not the correct thing to do. My son use to give people on the streets money, my money (he was a teen) he felt sorry for them. Now that he has to work for a living he realizes when he gave those mooches money he had to work an hour for $10.00. He is now in a position where he hires and fires people, people still walk up and ask him for money, now instead of giving money he offers them a job. They tend to look at him like he is crazy for asking them to work. Do they think about the person giving them money and the hours that person puts in to give them $20.00?

I would like to see better wages for all, but that will take a stronger economy and hopefully this is were President Trump will take us. Think positive, the man hasn't even hit the WH, yet. While President Obama is still spending taxpayers money.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Of course they will overreach. All politicians do when they have too much power, it doesn't matter the party.

Already we see people discounting how narrow the victory was, and that it wasn't based on any majority belief in "far right" politics.

M

Do you think the presidency is all Republicans have won?

President: Republican
Senate: Republican
House: Republican
Supreme Court: Conservative
State Legislature: majority Republican
Governorships: 33 of 50 Republican

Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
This Trump embarrassment is the last sucker punch the GOP can throw before it goes down in the fight.

The U.S. is majority Liberal and demographics are moving towards a more Liberal America. In other words.. the Cons won this battle, but Liberals will in the war.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This Trump embarrassment is the last sucker punch the GOP can throw before it goes down in the fight.

The U.S. is majority Liberal and demographics are moving towards a more Liberal America. In other words.. the Cons won this battle, but Liberals will in the war.

And that's exactly what you were all saying before the election. Worked out pretty well for you

Old 01-22-2017, 04:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
And the plight of inner city America (who lost far more ground under BO than his predecessors in financial metrics such as workforce participation, gaps b/w their unemployment rate and the rest of their region's people, etc) was addressed for the first time, Friday, in an inaugural address.

DT won just about the same % of non-whites as most Republicans, and HRC performed among these groups about the same as Kerry. The difference-maker NAFTA brought Reagan Dems in Rust Belt home to the GOP. We welcome them and share their concerns about one-sided trade deals pre DT.
To be fair, that poll you're referencing is too small of a sample size.

And big cities are booming, just look at how much NYC has changed.

And I don't think Trump's victory was because of his platform, it was because Hillary was arguably a weak candidate.

Quote:

I don't even think it's necessarily a belief in far right politics, but far right wingers are thrilled with Trump.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:

It was a huge upset victory, many states that haven't voted Republicans for decades flipped. It shows there was enough people upset with the Democrats that allowed the impossible to happen. You better put on your seatbelt because you're gonna be in for a rough ride the next 4 years or even 8 if you don't see the light.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
M

Do you think the presidency is all Republicans have won?

President: Republican
Senate: Republican
House: Republican
Supreme Court: Conservative
State Legislature: majority Republican
Governorships: 33 of 50 Republican

Yeah, I've heard that argument before. That's how y'all justify overlooking Trump's narrow victory.

It's foolish, but time will tell which one of us was right on this. Go ahead and push through a hard right agenda (which is what they've been planning) and see what happens. SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't even think it's necessarily a belief in far right politics, but far right wingers are thrilled with Trump.
Of course, he's presented them an opportunity to get what they want. But Trump won by a total of less than 100,000 votes spread out over 3 swing states (with the help of a demotivated progressive wing sitting it out)and that population did not vote that way over "conservative" issues. They voted for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies