Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That's your opinion. Mine is that I do not know yet what it was created for.I don't think I've ever expressed an opinion on the matter one way or the other, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.OK. What's your point?
I'm really not sure how it's fear mongering, but OK. While Trump may not have said anything about LGBT, Mike Pence certainly has and it's a little disingenuous to think that he wields absolutely no power in the administration.

As for immigration, Trump has said plenty of things that weren't...let's just say graceful. He's a great populist - he is not a great diplomat.I don't disagree with Garcetti being a failure as mayor, but I'm not willing to dismiss wholesale things that actually do make sense simply because he screwed up elsewhere.
Regarding the immigrant advocate the timing seems to make it clear that it's a reaction to Trump .

It's kind of funny how quick city politicians can be when they are reacting to Trump would be nice if they could be that fast on other issues too .

You mentioned that hiring someone without a clearly set defined duties is a bad idea .
I could be wrong but I suspect this immigrant advocate will be for illegal immigrants .
Do you think it's possible that they aren't saying this though because they realize there might be more pushback from voters ? Even from Democrats ?

No doubt Obama has a smoother delivery style especially when he has a prepared speech . I'm more interested in results now . Trump has made a lot of promises too so expectations will be high for those that voted for him and expectations are low for those that did not vote for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Regarding the immigrant advocate the timing seems to make it clear that it's a reaction to Trump .
Be that as it may (and it may very well be the case, but so what?), it still does not de-legitimize the position in and of itself.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Be that as it may (and it may very well be the case, but so what?), it still does not de-legitimize the position in and of itself.
The person will be working with the office of immigrant affairs which helps illegal aliens or undocumented or whatever you want to call them .
Maybe they all lost their paperwork and need help finding it ?

I'm not for supporting illegal immigration in that way . Perhaps you are.

What about the illegals with criminal records , the known gang members etc ?
Will the city be helping them too and "protecting them from Trump"? Lots of questions.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
The person will be working with the office of immigrant affairs which helps illegal aliens or undocumented or whatever you want to call them .
Maybe they all lost their paperwork and need help finding it ?
I'm not interested in conjecture. I'm interested in what this position will actually do. "Immigrants" does not 100% = "illegal immigrants". There are plenty of legals who need help.
Quote:
I'm not for supporting illegal immigration in that way . Perhaps you are.
Yet more conjecture. Did I, at any point in time, say that I supported illegal immigration? In fact, I've done the exact opposite.
Quote:
What about the illegals with criminal records , the known gang members etc ?
Will the city be helping them too and "protecting them from Trump"? Lots of questions.
What about them? IMO, they should be put on the first bus, plane or slow-moving boat out of here, but where is your evidence that this new position will help them avoid said fate?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not interested in conjecture. I'm interested in what this position will actually do. "Immigrants" does not 100% = "illegal immigrants". There are plenty of legals who need help. Yet more conjecture. Did I, at any point in time, say that I supported illegal immigration? In fact, I've done the exact opposite.What about them? IMO, they should be put on the first bus, plane or slow-moving boat out of here, but where is your evidence that this new position will help them avoid said fate?
The point of this is to protect these "immigrants " against deportation.
Legal immigrants don't fear deportation , only illegal ones .

As I mentioned before if helping legal immigrants was an issue why is the city coming up with this all of a sudden in 2017 ?

The LA Times article mentions

"It is the latest move by local and state politicians to shield immigrants from deportation by Trump. Last month, officials unveiled a $10-million city-county legal defense fund for immigrants. Several City Council members also announced plans to decriminalize sidewalk vending amid concerns that vendors could be arrested and deported."

So clearly this is the latest move in protecting illegals .
Is there an issue with legal immigrants randomly being deported ?

It's clear that "progressives " have stopped even using the term undocumented immigrants and just started calling them immigrants because they know there would be less support for efforts to help illegals .

Most just read headlines and sound bytes
"Oh they are helping immigrants that's great "
And then go on to updating their Facebook status or watching a movie on Netflix .

Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The point of this is to protect these "immigrants " against deportation.
Really? Where in the job description does it state that? Moreover, where does it say that this is the only purpose of this position?
Quote:
As I mentioned before if helping legal immigrants was an issue why is the city coming up with this all of a sudden in 2017 ?
Because if it is truly an issue and an overlooked one, it needed to happen sometime. Or would you rather it never happen at all?
Quote:
So clearly this is the latest move in protecting illegals .
Among other things, sure. And I don't support that part.
Quote:
It's clear that "progressives " have stopped even using the term undocumented immigrants and just started calling them immigrants because they know there would be less support for efforts to help illegals .
Actually, that's what conservatives, such as yourself, are doing. Many times in this thread, in fact.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Really? Where in the job description does it state that? Moreover, where does it say that this is the only purpose of this position?Because if it is truly an issue and an overlooked one, it needed to happen sometime. Or would you rather it never happen at all?Among other things, sure. And I don't support that part.Actually, that's what conservatives, such as yourself, are doing. Many times in this thread, in fact.
I was just stating what the LA times mentioned . LA Times is far from a conservative publication .

I guess we can pretend this position won't be to help illegals , but that's not the reality .
As I mentioned the city doesn't use the term illegal or undocumented much anymore .
But when they say their efforts are to protect immigrants from Trump deporting them
It's pretty obvious to realize that means they are talking about illegal immigrants ..

Conservatives are doing what ? Not calling illegals immigrants illegals ?
Also not sure if I'd label myself a conservative.

I used to consider myself Democrat but they seem to have lost common sense and more focused on identity politics these days .. it's a shame .

Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I was just stating what the LA times mentioned . LA Times is far from a conservative publication .
Mis-stating, more like.
Quote:
I guess we can pretend this position won't be to help illegals , but that's not the reality .
I don't know what the reality is as I am not clairvoyant. Neither do or are you.
Quote:
Conservatives are doing what ? Not calling illegals immigrants illegals ?
No, using the term "immigrants" to cover all of them, irrespective of status.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Mis-stating, more like.I don't know what the reality is as I am not clairvoyant. Neither do or are you.
No, using the term "immigrants" to cover all of them, irrespective of status.

So you think after all the recent rushes to "protect undocumented immigrants "
Now all of a sudden they want to just focus on protecting legal immigrants .. sure maybe
But I'd bet you that's not what will happen .

I think you know this too but want to debate it for some reason .

Conservative never call them "immigrants " regardless of status . Not sure where you heard that ..

Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So you think after all the recent rushes to "protect undocumented immigrants "
Now all of a sudden they want to just focus on protecting legal immigrants .. sure maybe
But I'd bet you that's not what will happen .
You can ask this question a hundred different ways, but I will not change my answer: until I have proof of this position being intended solely for the purpose of helping illegal immigrants, I do not have a problem with it.
Quote:
Conservative never call them "immigrants " regardless of status . Not sure where you heard that ..
In this very thread; now, of course, if you don't class yourself as conservative (as I had assumed you did based on your views), that changes things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies