Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing it in the Constitution.

I know it has to be there. The Government is allowed to tax us directly, so there has to be somewhere that says the government will provide public assistance to groups of people and not all people.

Help me out and point me in the right direction.
Educate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I know it has to be there. The Government is allowed to tax us directly, so there has to be somewhere that says the government will provide public assistance to groups of people and not all people.

Educate me.
A little history.
State-Federal Welfare Relationships - Social Welfare History Project

Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:

Educate me.
I think you should use google and query whatever "welfare" program you are interested in learning about.

Also all of them have specific criteria and do not target specific "groups of people." All people are eligible based on the requirements of the program.

In regards to the constitution, you should look up Article V of the constitution, which allows it to be amended and defines the process/procedure for amendment. Also review the 16th amendment in regards to income tax.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
It isn't in there. Regardless and as been seen many times, words on pieces of paper have proven ineffective at stopping criminals from commiting their crimes.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” James Madison-- The Father of the Constitution.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Educate me.
Have you looked next to the authorization for us to build other nations at American taxpayer expense with no benefit to our country? Or perhaps next to the authorization to launder $$$ thru other countries that gets passed right back to the MIC in arms sales (corporate welfare)?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think you should use google and query whatever "welfare" program you are interested in learning about.

Also all of them have specific criteria and do not target specific "groups of people." All people are eligible based on the requirements of the program.

In regards to the constitution, you should look up Article V of the constitution, which allows it to be amended and defines the process/procedure for amendment. Also review the 16th amendment in regards to income tax.

Still don't see the place where is says the Government is to provide public assistance, especially the part that says only certain groups of people, not all people.

None of the referenced shows any areas that authorize the federal government to provide Welfare.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Have you looked next to the authorization for us to build other nations at American taxpayer expense with no benefit to our country? Or perhaps next to the authorization to launder $$$ thru other countries that gets passed right back to the MIC in arms sales (corporate welfare)?

I do not see authorization for that either, but if I look deeper, I bet I can find where we the people forbid them from it.

But back to providing certain groups public assistance, without authorization.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Belling had a long discussion about changes Walker wants to make to the welfare system in Wisconsin which has always been the big problem with welfare.. once you hit a certain income level, all aid is suddenly cut off, which encourages people to not work.. why make too much money and end of worse off? Instead he wants benefits to gradually be cut as you go up in income with certain mandates in place requiring at least a part time job under certain circumstances otherwise you have to go to job training classes. A much smarter approach to letting people simply remain on welfare and section 8 housing for years, even decades, so they NEVER have to work at all.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I do not see authorization for that either, but if I look deeper, I bet I can find where we the people forbid them from it.

But back to providing certain groups public assistance, without authorization
And what about tax breaks given to corporations and the shortfalls they create that must be paid for by taxpayers? Where's the authorization for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies