Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM

39,160 posts, read 27,558,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The GOP turned the USPS into a stand alone agency. Meaning it runs on its own no subsidies.. They had been forced to pre-fund their retirement program. I believe that the USPS has accomplished this and is now free to make its system as profitable as the market will allow.

Now you complain because they are taking business away from the Corporations which had lobbied the GOP to try and kill the USPS.

Sounds good
well, if this is the case, then USPS has to be the dumbest stand alone agency.

USPS Continues to Grow Revenue While Losing Money

Certainly not profitable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM

19,003 posts, read 14,180,717 times
Perhaps it is time to re-negotiate?

Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM

192 posts, read 241,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, if this is the case, then USPS has to be the dumbest stand alone agency.

USPS Continues to Grow Revenue While Losing Money

Certainly not profitable to me.
If they weren't forced to continue pre-funding the retirement program for employees that won't be born for another 10 years from now, they would be very profitable. The Bush admin and the Republican-controlled congress of the mid 2000's tried their best to destroy the USPS.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Normally I would buy off American places, but in this case, my laptop is my job. No laptop, no work. I did not want to spend $400 + shipping when I could spend $241 for the exact same thing. Reasons:

I had to order the part. I had to wait for order confirmation. I had to wait for it to be shipped. I had to wait the week and a half it took to get here. I had to wait while the computer repair store up the road fixed it, (American business...very cheap, they only charged me $40 which to me is a steal considering how much you have to tear down (everything) inside a laptop to replace a motherboard).

Going American, I would have spent twice the amount of money, had to wait for order confirmation, had to wait maybe only a week instead of a week and a half, and then wait for the computer repair place to fix it.

So, I was losing money. If I'm about to lose money, (because I can't make money while the very tool that allows me to work is waiting on a part), why would I spend more money? I had bills coming up that the extra $200 would pay.

Had we not had such competition and bloated prices for shipping in this country, the American sellers more than likely would have been cheaper than they were.

But that's not an every day thing for me, so your "seems to me" thing is once again reaching for something that is not normal to try to say that this is normal.
Your anecdote is interesting but not particularly relevant to the questions I asked.

Buying stuff from eBay that ships directly from China is an every day thing for millions of (other) people so it is pretty well normalized.

People do seem to think that all of sudden there is going to be this big change in the way that people spend their money because 'Merica or something.

I don't think it is a realistic expectation.

I guess time will tell.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

1,184 posts, read 719,706 times
Ya i always wondered why regisitered mail from china was free or like 1 dollar on ebay but if I mailed a certified letter in town it costs 6 dollars...bad deals for the USA...who approved this? They certainty got paid off by China. Trump needs to renegotiate it.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM

12,378 posts, read 8,128,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah..

ALL USPS has to do is charge shipping based on distance. Not sure why is it such a foreign concept to them.
The entire model is one universal price. It is why they pushed to if it fits the box flat rates. What is wrong is the price they charge China for the final mile, or more precisely however many miles once US Customs releases something
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
Ya i always wondered why regisitered mail from china was free or like 1 dollar on ebay but if I mailed a certified letter in town it costs 6 dollars...bad deals for the USA...who approved this? They certainty got paid off by China. Trump needs to renegotiate it.
Its not actual Registered even though it carries a R code. about a decade ago we noticed it coming through the normal mail stream and the service stopped the daily logs and having it signed for at every change of hands like real Registered mail. All the service does is collect a signature at delivery, they don't even know if it got to the correct carrier for delivery, only that it was scanned in a the delivery unit before it was distributed to the correct or the wrong route.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM

39,160 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The entire model is one universal price. It is why they pushed to if it fits the box flat rates. What is wrong is the price they charge China for the final mile, or more precisely however many miles once US Customs releases something
oh yeah?

Hey, i guess you are okay with shipping 3oz item to New York and pay $2.6 first class, and at the same time the Chinese sellers pay almost nothing for shipping the same item.

I can tell ya you are not the majority. But hey, whatever. Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 PM

15,521 posts, read 10,483,166 times
"USPS Loses Millions Subsidizing Chinese Importers"

I had no idea that was going on, good grief.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Now you complain because they are taking business away from the Corporations which had lobbied the GOP to try and kill the USPS.
What part of you can ship something cheaper from China than the US do you not understand?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
I am an ardent free trader. I ain't for subsidizing foreign goods. Stopping this is a no brainer unless there is something I ain't catching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies