Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
You are the property of society and society has the power via the social contract to grant any rights it wishes or grant none.
You're being sarcastic, right? I assume you are, but when you really break it down most people believe this. They just won't word it so honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
The level of "truthiness" on this thread is quite spectacular. No wonder King Louie is in office.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The level of "truthiness" on this thread is quite spectacular. No wonder King Louie is in office.
Please kindly point out which one is false.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please kindly point out which one is false.
You're not prepared to listen but I'll sum it up. All of them, except the second amendment. Canada doesn't have a right to bear arms, but a privilege. Sort of like a drivers license. Gun ownership, per capita, is high, #12 in the world per Wikipedia. Behind hot spots like Iraq and Yemen, and no one touches the US.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
You're not prepared to listen but I'll sum it up. All of them, except the second amendment. Canada doesn't have a right to bear arms, but a privilege. Sort of like a drivers license. Gun ownership, per capita, is high, #12 in the world per Wikipedia. Behind hot spots like Iraq and Yemen, and no one touches the US.
I welcome any rational rebuttal. I have provided the original laws in my points. Unless you are saying those laws I quoted are false, I can hardly see you argument being right.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM

243 posts, read 220,637 times
The US is the only reason Canada can exist . If you feel you have more rights , YOUR WELCOME

For all I care , let's build two walls .

Old 01-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
The US is the only reason Canada can exist . If you feel you have more rights , YOUR WELCOME

For all I care , let's build two walls .
The Americans will pay for it (again)

Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

1. The Bill of Rights.

The Canadian Bill of Rights is just a federal law, not part of the constitutional. It can be amended through regular legislative process. This means a political party in control of the parliament can easily change the rights if they want to. Hypothetically, today you have the right to a lawyer, but tomorrow, you don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...ental_freedoms

Good luck amending the US Bill of Rights.

Not True.

Directly from your link:

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (French: La Charte canadienne des droits et libertés), in Canada often simply the Charter, is a bill of rights entrenched in the Constitution of Canada. It forms the first part of the Constitution Act, 1982.

2. Right to keep and bear arms

The Canadians would spit on you if you even hinted that Canadians should have the right to keep and bear arms. If you were stupid enough to utter the idea that citizens forming a militia to resist a tyrannical government, you would be immediately arrested by RCMP, similar to our FBI, as a terrorist.

In US, such right is self-evident and fundamental. The Bill of Rights specifically prohibited that the government from infringing upon this right.

Agreed, and Americans are killing each other in staggering numbers because of it. Although gun ownership in Canada is widespread, it is subjected to greater regulation.

3. Suspension of Rights

In Canada, a province, similar to our State, can even suspend the rights without cause.

In US, "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

Not true. From the same link, from the Charter:

Section 10: right to legal counsel and the guarantee of habeas corpus.

4. Are the rights the same?

Let's look at the freedom of speech.

In Canada, they have hate speech laws defined by the government.
One can't say anything bad about a group of people except for white people. Seriously, but a country can't say it has freedom of speech while having hate speech law in place. "Hate speech" is basically whatever speech the government or some people disagree with.

In US, the freedom speech only stops when it fails "imminent danger" test like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#United_States

There are hate speech laws, as well as freedom of speech. Hate Speech has clearly defined parameters within Canadian Law, and are not unlike the Civil Rights Act, anti-discrimination practices in nearly every state.

Unless you're Sean Spicer, you went 2/4.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 01-25-2017 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM

243 posts, read 220,637 times
Quote:
The Americans will pay for it (again)
So be it .

Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
It never ceases to amaze me just how little Americans know about the world.

Citizens of the USA , residents etc have LESS worthwhile rights than many other nations. It is not even close.

Don't confuse the right to have guns with having "better" rights , they are simply different.

In the USA most people don't get a real public defense. The system in the USA is intentionally designed to remove the rights of low income folk.
Not having true access to a public defender in a reasonable time frame with reasonable access makes the USA one of the worst western nations for an innocent person to be charged.

But go ahead and talk about how freedom of speech in the USA is so great, that the right of the speaker stomps all over the right of others.

I can accuse anyone of anything as long as I say it is my opinon and you will waste your treasure trying to stop me. Rest of the world you are accountable for your actions, like adults.
Why else do you think someone like Trump could be president , he would have been arrested and jailed for his threats , lies and racial attack over the course of the election and now continuing as president.

Free speech is only "free' when others are not trampled by it.

I could go on, but it is hardly worth as so many Americans just don't grasp how we really compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies