U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:00 PM

18,929 posts, read 9,642,404 times

Advertisements

I get this a lot from dumb Americans claiming Canada has more rights or just as free as US.

This is fundamentally false. United States has the most freedom and be thankful to live in US.

I don't claim to be a constitutional scholar but you can read and decide on your own.

1. The Bill of Rights.

The Canadian Bill of Rights is just a federal law, not part of the constitutional. It can be amended through regular legislative process. This means a political party in control of the parliament can easily change the rights if they want to. Hypothetically, today you have the right to a lawyer, but tomorrow, you don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...ental_freedoms

Good luck amending the US Bill of Rights.

2. Right to keep and bear arms

The Canadians would spit on you if you even hinted that Canadians should have the right to keep and bear arms. If you were stupid enough to utter the idea that citizens forming a militia to resist a tyrannical government, you would be immediately arrested by RCMP, similar to our FBI, as a terrorist.

In US, such right is self-evident and fundamental. The Bill of Rights specifically prohibited that the government from infringing upon this right.

3. Suspension of Rights

In Canada, a province, similar to our State, can even suspend the rights without cause.

Quote:
Section 33.
(1) Parliament or the legislature of a province may expressly declare in an Act of Parliament or of the legislature, as the case may be, that the Act or a provision thereof shall operate notwithstanding a provision included in section 2 or sections 7 to 15.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectio..._Freedoms#Text
In US, "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

4. Are the rights the same?

Let's look at the freedom of speech.

In Canada, they have hate speech laws defined by the government.
One can't say anything bad about a group of people except for white people. Seriously, but a country can't say it has freedom of speech while having hate speech law in place. "Hate speech" is basically whatever speech the government or some people disagree with.

In US, the freedom speech only stops when it fails "imminent danger" test like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#United_States

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-25-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,667,559 times
You are the property of society and society has the power via the social contract to grant any rights it wishes or grant none.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 513,396 times
no, they are NOT the same. We should all be thankful to be living in the United States.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM

4,285 posts, read 1,404,166 times
This is true among all other countries throughout the world. It is the unique difference between the US and the world in how we view individual liberty, sovereign rights, where they come from, etc...

This is why progressives hate the US as an individual having the sovereignty of a king impedes their ability to subject the people into servitude.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:14 PM

4,285 posts, read 1,404,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
You are the property of society and society has the power via the social contract to grant any rights it wishes or grant none.
Not in the US.

Well, not as our government has been formed and stated as an affirmation of our rights.

Sure, you can claim otherwise, usurp that power and force subjugation.

Go ahead, just claim it as a matter of fact and then attempt to see it through.

All you will do is solidify to us all that there is no mistake that we are rightful in killing you when you come to enforce your will.

Come and see!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
That's true if we look at things at the extreme.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:41 PM

2,017 posts, read 2,711,257 times
Well, the Canadians have *much* better coffee and food items due to the abundance of Tim Horton's locations in Canada. The Tim Horton's here in the Northeast have been closing abruptly over the past year and I have no idea why. It saves me money, I guess, but it's kind of sad.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,459,600 times
In Canada hate speech laws are identical to US hate laws, except with the addition of religious hatred.

Hate speech is defined as any speech which promotes murder or genicide of a target group based on sex, religion, ethnicity. If you got this wrong I'm inclined to believe you got everything wrong in your post, which you in fact did.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
In Canada hate speech laws are identical to US hate laws, except with the addition of religious hatred.

Hate speech is defined as any speech which promotes murder or genicide of a target group based on sex, religion, ethnicity. If you got this wrong I'm inclined to believe you got everything wrong in your post, which you in fact did.

US doesn't have hate speech law.

I don't think I got anything wrong. For everything I said, I provided sources.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM

3,913 posts, read 2,730,376 times
Canada ranks 6 on the Human Freedom Index. The U.S. ranks far lower at 19.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Freedom_Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or