Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM

417 posts, read 345,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
That's the issue I have with your mindset. Just because an issue doesn't affect you nor do you support it you don't want tax dollars funding it. In that case, I can find plenty of my tax dollars supporting things I don't support either around the country that you might benefit from. But I don't have as much of a problem as you do with getting rid of it if it's needed or for a good cause or good for the general public.
I don't want to get rid of it. I don't like that my tax money is funding it through medicare but I'd rather have abortions than unwanted pregnancies, and babies born on welfare. You are putting words in my mouth. It isn't my top priority, I don't need it, I don't care if you need it. I said what I said because the woman marching do not define who I am. It was not meant negatively or derogatorily against woman who have abortions. A woman who wears a shirt that says heart abortions on it is a little strange to me however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
For such a "smart, college educated woman" I'm stunned that you never heard of the Seneca Falls convention of 1848 or the suffragettes of the early 1900s, to name just a few marches that took place long before you were born. No, sweetheart, you did not "do it on your own." You stood on the shoulders of the millions of women who came before you to assure you the right to go to college and then work to support yourself. Do you think you could have done any of that without all the hard work of the women who came before you?

Good grief, where did you get that college degree? Out of a Cracker Jacks box? It sure sounds like it.
I don't think these women represent the women bolded......not one bit! For these women it was about women's rights , not about vaginas. Do you see how their message is getting lost in hateful speeches and everyone thinks its about vaginas!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
What's your point OP? The Women's March didn't represent all women's views. Neither does Trump.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:22 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't think these women represent the women bolded......not one bit!
For these women it was about women's rights , not about vaginas. Do you see how their message is getting lost in hateful speeches and everyone thinks its about vaginas!
I see how YOU are getting lost in the word vaginas. Do vaginas scare you that much?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What's your point OP? The Women's March didn't represent all women's views. Neither does Trump.

Yes the Women's March does claim to represent women. And we already see many people here saying that women who did not support the march or don't vote Democrat are self hating women

Old 01-26-2017, 09:52 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Cute young girl, utterly clueless. The thing is she doesn't understand (and I suspect many millennials don't) is that she can take so many things for granted because of the women who came before her. I'm a woman of a "certain age", the last time I marched was in the mid-80s. I'm a youngster! There were women at the march I participated in Saturday who marched back in the 60s and 70s. I realize that to many of you that might have well been the Victorian age, but trust me it wasn't that long ago. As a woman born in the mid-60s here are some things that I DON'T (thank goodness) remember but women just 10 or so years older than I do...having to have a husband's permission to work, birth control completely illegal (overturned 1965 Griswold v Connecticut), property right restrictions, rape in marriage was legal, no fault divorce (only by 1985 had that become country wide), 1978 Pregnancy Discrimination Act, 1971 Phillips v. Martin Marietta Co refusing to hire women with pre-school children, 1974 housing discrimination on the basis of sex outlawed by congress, etc, etc...so on and so on. So while this adorable youngster claims these women don't represent her (and that's fine!) she is surely reaping the benefits from those who came before her. You can take that to the bank.
I'm a woman of a certain age too. I don't see this current march as the same thing as back then. What was wanted back then, and rightly so, was equal rights and to be recognized for more than our bodies and to have the barriers knocked down and to not be kept all in the same role as wife and mother and nothing else. It was something to fight for. I think today we do have equal rights. Today when you ask what rights are at stake you get vague answers and screaming rants. What these women at these latest gatherings want isn't as clear and to me looks like a step backwards. If we claim to be more than just vaginas and things that have always just been female, then don't have a rally where you talk about vaginas and periods over a loud speaker as though having these things is such a huge problem. They aren't. Haven't the decades since the 60's shown that women get up every day, go to work, preform surgeries, go to war, rescue people from burning buildings and more?

We have a new President in office that had only been there a few short days when these broke out. The long ago days were about wanting to be given a chance yet these people won't give him a chance. He hasn't tried to take any rights away. It is about their candidate not winning. It must be, because what they are saying is wrong with the world and this country really isn't true.

I'm also greatly offended by the hypocrisy of the idea that I need to follow people just because they are female or a certain color and that I should listen to someone that follows Islam which is a religion that does more to keep women down than any old white man candidate we could ever elect.

They do not represent all women, especially people that think for themselves like me.

Last edited by I love boots.; 01-26-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
They don't represent all women because they do not respect all women. Those with a different opinion are the other, and to be mocked and invalidated. The comments here about going back to the kitchen, etc. also insult women who choose to work in the home.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

if you had a view why did you not go?? out of cardboard? you were free to express your view-- that was the point

Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Oh, please! I'm old enough to remember and it's not at all like you say. Expect, perhaps, for the women needing permission from their husbands to do something. I was single so I can't address that.

I was born in 1944. From the day I left college, I worked. From the day they were available, I took birth control pills (1964), and I didn't need anyone's permission. There were plenty of women with children working at Raytheon, both single and married. I don't remember a single one having to ask their husbands for anything, but I suppose I can't say what went on behind closed doors. I, a single woman, bought my first house with an FHA loan in 1972. Yes, it was a new thing for single women to own property, but my loan went through without a hitch.

The only thing you can take to the bank is the fact that you are considerably younger than I, and your memories are faded and probably handed down by someone who felt oppressed. I never felt oppressed. I thoroughly enjoyed life, owning my own property and car, totally in my own name, and wildly going wherever I wished and doing whatever I wanted. All that fun and glory, and I was living in the heart of Conservative Country.

I WAS there. I lived and worked pre-Women's Lib, as we called it back then. Even at its national inception and acceptance, I found it revolting. I WANTED men to open my doors. I WANTED my date to pay for dinners and movies. I WANTED to be a female. I laughed at the butch women who have no clue what it's like to be treated like a WOMAN by a MAN. Do such things even exist anymore? I'm still laughing at them with a sneer on my lips. They disgust me. No amount of marching on their part got me a single thing. I didn't pitch hissy fits because I have a vagina. I earned what I had.

mmmmm. Thanks very much for this. Yes' I'm a man. I'm one of the very last Boomers. I was born to and raised by "traditional" parents. I was taught to conduct myself in a certain way when interacting with women. Opening doors, pulling out chairs, removing my hat when introductions were made or when a woman comes into presence, walking on the street side and many more such small actions. My Father was a Naval officer and he insisted I would learn and follow through in conducting myself as a gentleman. As did my Mother. I learned as much or more about this as I did from my Father.

My Grandmother on Moms side as well. Now there was a lady. One who understood fully what a gentleman is. My Dads parents were gone before I was born, so I only had one set of Grandparents. Interestingly my Grandfather didn't involve himself so much with etiquette but rather he taught me about mechanical stuff and the more rough and tumble world of men. The advent of the "modern age", butch women, the whole male/female schism thing, horrified the women who raised me. My Grandmother is gone now after having lived to 101, and my Mother often says she's glad she that her Mother passed before having to see the nonsense happening now.

The manners and conduct I was raised with are ingrained in me. I have been described as an anachronism by a lot of women and men, and even been derided in public by some women I've interacted with. They can open their own door etc. Pardon me all to Hell, ummm, but it's habit. I can't help it. Even my own lady in my life gets annoyed with me sometimes. Oddly, the street side walk really drives her crazy. Lol, but she's gotten used to it. And she's two years my senior as well. She was just brought up different with different life experiences. However, I not only won't change my ways, I can't. Old dogs and new tricks I guess. My own Sister is sorta mid ground on things, and has often told me I need to change. She's older than me, but a bit more...progressive...and often tells me I'm too anachronistic in many of my manners and mannerisms.

But even if I wanted to, I just can't. Even when I have tried to much of it is just to big a part of me. I've even been called a "phony" ( or something like that) by women I've opened doors and such for who are complete strangers. And all I did was open a door for Petes sake. Didn't even make eye contact or speak myself, and I was treated like some kind of pick up artist or whatever. Still, I keep the faith and carry on. It's just who I am. It's not an act, put on, pose or whatever the new buzzword is. Times is tough for us dinosaurs.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They don't represent all women because they do not respect all women. Those with a different opinion are the other, and to be mocked and invalidated. The comments here about going back to the kitchen, etc. also insult women who choose to work in the home.

WT__ we all have families/ children/ or older parents- in most cases its not the libers lashing out at the homebodies but the other way around-- you go it so wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies