Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Alright. My question is, why? Why is the divide so much more pronounced in the black electorate when it comes to Liberal vs. Conservative than it is in virtually any other demographic's electorate?

Again, I think green_mariner's National Review article goes a long way toward shedding light on that. Civil Rights are key. As long as Democrats are viewed as the party of Civil Rights, that's going to be a top issue for blacks and a driving force in the way they vote.
Civil rights is not the only issue. However, I believe that for Black Americans, it is a big issue. Currently, the Democrats of today are viewed as the party of Civil Rights. Over 100 years ago, Republicans were viewed as such. Things have flipped since the 60s and 70s. The whole "free stuff" argument only applies to anyone who so chooses to remain a lifelong welfare recipient.

This is what I observe. Bringing up the "party of Lincoln" line gets old fast. If a Republican candidate wants Black votes, said candidate will have to come up with something better than that. Some relevant to the past 40 years or so.

I think about this. I've voted Democrat before. My family votes Democrat. We have never been on food stamps or Section 8. That is why I don't buy that "free stuff" and Democratic Plantation" crap. I don't live in the ghetto. I'm not a product of the inner city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Somehow, some way, they still think the liberal leaning toward providing those sorts of benefits is a mistake or somehow wrong. You can't really argue, because to do so is to point out how hypocritical they are and that doesn't make for maintaining friendships, not that we see them much anymore now that they're divorced and hardly in the mood for talking about much let alone politics.
Could it just be that your friend is embarrassed? Years ago, being on welfare and food stamps was a social stigma that people did not wave around like some badge of honor, like they do now.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Could it just be that your friend is embarrassed? Years ago, being on welfare and food stamps was a social stigma that people did not wave around like some badge of honor, like they do now.
Some people look at food stamps as "well, gotta survive some way". Food stamps could be considered a social stigma. However, when everyone you know around you is on welfare, not much reason to be embarrassed. In some cases, it is "We're so far down on the social totem pole, with no hope of being further up socially, that it really doesn't matter". Those with little to lose socially have little shame.

In my case, I come from a middle class background. My father is college-educated and an engineer. He got laid off one year, and then other things followed. This was when I was an adolescent/teenager. Things got hard. We never went on welfare. He had savings. However, it was tight. He temporarily took a job well below his educational qualifications. He eventually bounced back and got back to engineering. However, it was hard. I didn't want to tell other kids "my father is out of a job". I figured all the other kids would laugh at me, on top of the bullying I was receiving in middle school.

In my case, I would never want to be on food stamps or free lunch. It would have meant me being made fun of if it ever happened. And this was in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Looking back to middle school, I want approval from my peers (though I rarely got it. Social awkwardness issues, bullying for other reasons). When you want to move up or you're trying to gain acceptance, you don't flash things around like "I'm on welfare". When you're so far down the social totem pole, and you pretty much resent those further up, you don't care.

Last edited by green_mariner; 02-10-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM

729 posts, read 429,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Trump got 8 percent of the Black vote. And that is only because the Black voter turn out dropped. If more Blacks voted, the percentage of the Black vote for Trump would have dropped. Trump won the electoral vote. The electoral vote is what gives you the Presidency. It does not mean the majority of Americans wanted him as the President.

Basically, what you are saying is that his bigoted remarks mean nothing. I find that an ignorant remark. It matters to the individuals being targeted. It matters to me as a Black man. Why would I voted for someone who makes remarks that insinuate looking down on Blacks? Why? What sense would that make? It's like saying "I'll vote for the persons who hates me". You don't get votes by talking down to those whom you seek votes from.

You are not getting my point. The candidates who did the best among Blacks actually reached out to Blacks. And it was for real. Donald Trump did not really try until he realized he needed to appeal to moderates. Kasich and Paul did the best among Blacks. If either one of them won the GOP nomination, Blacks would have been voting for Rand Paul or John Kasich in larger numbers than were for Trump.

Truth is, I don't trust Trump, and I don't know why do you do. I've never expected any President to do anything for predominantly Black neighborhoods in the

inner city. Generally, Blacks have come last, historically. And historically, they are the last to benefit from an economic surge.

Honestly, I've never given much thought to what other country might attack us. The possibility is there, but it's nothing I've worried about. I'm more worried about what goes on in my backyard.

If you don't trust him, that's your opinion. I believe the "hatred" he supposedly is guilty of is blown out of proportion. Indifference maybe. But he doesn't have your experience, nor do you have his. And mind you, democrats slander even black Republicans as "racist" and "traitor". A lot of that sentiment is utter nonsense. As brash, unabashed and blunt as Trump was during the campaign, that history of smearing Republicans in general worked in Trump's favor. Some people got tired of it. I trust Trump, I don't trust most politicians in Washington D.C.

Him defeating political correctness was important. This is something that has needed to happen for years, and Trump came along and did it. It doesn't mean anyone is trying drag America back to pre-1980s. But when it has gotten to a point where America is considered the "most racist country", even by nations that have worse human rights records, and Americans are shamed for being American, something is wrong (look at the whole history of the western hemisphere). Trump offended some people, but there a lot of reasons he won. He shed light on issues that have been hurting the entire nation. I trust him because I know Hillary would have allowed this downward trend to continue.

Last edited by Manimuni; 02-10-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is likely more balance when it comes to the politicians that I would give credit for. What I am saying is merely responding to those who make it their business to constantly prod at Blacks about their voting habits. If I decide to vote Democrat, why is that anyone's business?
In this forum, I think the more appropriate question is why anyone would be interested in anyone else's opinion. That's all. Nothing to get too wound up or objectionable about I don't think.

No need to read these comments or reply in any case...

Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Alright. My question is, why? Why is the divide so much more pronounced in the black electorate when it comes to Liberal vs. Conservative than it is in virtually any other demographic's electorate?

Again, I think green_mariner's National Review article goes a long way toward shedding light on that. Civil Rights are key. As long as Democrats are viewed as the party of Civil Rights, that's going to be a top issue for blacks and a driving force in the way they vote.
Yes, Civil Rights, a larger percentage of blacks in their political leadership ranks (better representation)*.

Ask yourself why.

Also; a longer history of activism on behalf of minorities and a better economic/tax & spend plan for all concerned all considered. I too won't get into the particulars just as you were reluctant, because then we would need to get into how the two parties differ in these regards as well (or you could do some research yourself).

Since I'm not sure we've made any headway on the subject of immigrants and/or refugees despite the length of this thread already, why bother to include more areas of confusion?

Right?

Here, in any case, are more facts to consider, not opinion...

* African American Members

There are a record 48 African American Members (8.8% of the total membership) in the 114th
Congress, 3 more than at the beginning of the 113th Congress. Forty-six serve in the House,
including two Delegates, and two serve in the Senate. This number includes one Member of the
House who is of African American and Asian ancestry and is counted in both ethnic categories in
this report. Forty-four of the African American House Members, including two Delegates, are
Democrats
, and two are Republicans. There is a Senator of each party. Twenty African American
women, including two Delegates, serve in the House.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43869.pdf

Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
If you don't trust him, that's your opinion. I believe the "hatred" he supposedly is guilty of is blown out of proportion. Indifference maybe. But he doesn't have your experience, nor do you have his. And mind you, democrats slander even black Republicans as "racist" and "traitor". A lot of that sentiment is utter nonsense. As brash, unabashed and blunt as Trump was during the campaign, that history of smearing Republicans in general worked in Trump's favor. Some people got tired of it. I trust Trump, I don't trust most politicians in Washington D.C.

Him defeating political correctness was important. This is something that has needed to happen for years, and Trump came along and did it. It doesn't mean anyone is trying drag America back to pre-1980s. But when it has gotten to a point where America is considered the "most racist country", even by nations that have worse human rights records, and Americans are shamed for being American, something is wrong (look at the whole history of the western hemisphere). Trump offended some people, but there a lot of reasons he won. He shed light on issues that have been hurting the entire nation. I trust him because I know Hillary would have allowed this downward trend to continue.
It may be my opinion. I base my opinions on what is important for me. And you're right. I don't have his experiences. I don't care. At the end of the day, it is ME that I am looking out for, at least in this political arena. I'm aware of some of the comments certain Democrats have made. However, I notice no one calls out Republicans for making racist comments either.

This is more than Trump being "blunt". Whenever some people say "we need to get of political correctness", I start think "you just want to say bigoted things and it be okay".

How do you feel about statements such as these?

Quote:
Our great African American President hasn't exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore!
Quote:
“Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys wearing yarmulkes
And then there is Donald Trump pointing out to some Black guy at a rally in Redding,CA saying "Look at my African-American over there". That is really stupid and uncalled for. There is being an honest person, and then there is being a jerk. Donald Trump has been a jerk. You can be honest without being "blunt". And as a Black person, what am I suppose to think when anyone(Democrat or Republican) makes comments like that? Am I suppose to just "not take it personal"?

Something else. I didn't vote for Clinton or Trump. I don't have faith in either of them. It's "the snake vs the bigot". I voted for Gary Johnson. Yes, I'm aware of his Aleppo gaffe. I don't care. It has no bearing on me. As a middle class Black person, I feel like he would be more likely to be in my corner than Donald Trump. Donald Trump is for implementing a "Stop And Frisk" nationwide. I am not, and neither is Gary Johnson.

I am more worried about what happens here, where I live, than overseas. I worry about what will happen to me as a Black man on my own shores.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Ok, but surely not all black voters think that raising the minimum wage is a good idea, just like not all whites think it is. Some do, some don't.
the minimum wage may be something that directly and quickly affects an individual, especially a person of color. When a libertarian or conservative argues that it should be eliminated, they are arguing for a pay cut for that individual. That is not going to sit well with anyone who has ever worked a minimum wage job.

Since 10.10 an hour is actually above 50% among Democrats, Republicans and Independents. I would assume the minimum wage being increased has at least an 80% approval rating among black people.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In this forum, I think the more appropriate question is why anyone would be interested in anyone else's opinion. That's all. Nothing to get too wound up or objectionable about I don't think.

No need to read these comments or reply in any case...
The thing is, I wonder how many of these persons think in nasty ways in real life. I have dealt with individuals being openly racist towards me in public. Even in 2016. I feel like some individuals on this forum, said I could be among persons who think like this in daily life. I avoid political discourse in public with most people.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Sure it was. It can be argued that BOTH party's indifference toward a serious plan for border security can be blamed for the ease with which he was able to re-enter the country so many times.

However, the blame for the policy that allowed him to walk free and eventually kill Kate Steinle when he could have been detained and deported, belongs to one party and one party only, and that's the Democrats.

"Our own" criminals, quite unfortunately, have a legal right to be in this country. We have to deal with them. Criminal illegal aliens, don't have a right to be here. As you rightly point out, we have enough bad apples of our own to worry about without importing those of other countries.

In my last post I asked what I thought was an eminently reasonable question..... Even if you are a believer in sanctuary-type policies, why on earth wouldn't you make an exception when you encounter someone with a long felonious record like Lopez-Sanchez? I fail to see how deporting someone like that would have an adverse effect on these other "millions of other good people" you speak of?
Again...

Lopez-Sanchez WAS deported! FIVE TIMES! He was on probation in TEXAS at the time of the shooting. Crossed the border and ran afoul of the law in ARIZONA and WASHINGTON and OREGON.

You would almost have to imprison a drifter like this for life or kill him to prevent what eventually could have happened anywhere. He reentered through the Texas border and got another federal prison sentence for reentry before being deported for the fifth time in June 2009.

It has been argued that Federal authorities could not provide a legal basis to hold Sanchez, and that the sheriff's department followed procedure and local laws when they released Sanchez after a years-old warrant on a marijuana charge was dismissed. The fatal shot ricocheted off the pavement...

Regardless all these facts, the case obviously became a sensational illegal immigrant story and even Hillary chastised San Francisco for allowing his release (never mind all the prior releases).

Apparently there is no changing your rather myopic view about all this when it comes to the case of one person killed by an illegal immigrant (apparently by accident), used by Trump as usual to stir up those fears and phobias, even though estimates put the number of illegal immigrants in this country at about 12 million people.

Much like the case with terrorists yet to be identified among ANY Muslim refugee in this country, you simply cannot build walls and prevent access for millions of good people because of those exceptional "bad apples." No one really considered the likes even with Saudi Arabia after 9/11. How can these other "bans" by Trump be considered reasonable, effective or rationale in comparison? Can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies