Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 AM

72,828 posts, read 62,180,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Who gets the attention and why? Good question...

Many of these comments in these threads make the same sort of observation when it comes to the complaints/protests from the LGBT community, immigrants, women, any and every minority "protected" class.

If you are doing relatively well, you tend to be ignored when it comes to political attention. Some whites even complain of reverse discrimination...

Not sure whether that's good or bad, appropriate or not, but I would rather be doing better and be ignored than get attention the way some of these folks suffering from such injustice are getting attention.

Sucks to be at the bottom. A struggle to manage in the middle. Best to be on top.
I would rather being doing good than doing bad. I bring this stuff up because of the constant questioning of why Blacks vote Democrat. Then it is pointed out "You vote Democrat but you're still poor" or "Democrats are doing nothing for you" or "You're on the Democratic Plantation". Truth is, with a few exceptions, I have not seen alot of Republicans do much for Blacks. I don't obsess about who Blacks vote for. I just go out there, and get mine.

I thought of these statistics. Median household income for Blacks by state. The 10 states with the highest
Hawaii
Maryland
Delaware
Alaska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Virginia
Idaho
Massachusetts
Connecticut

Lowest:
Maine
West Virginia
Montana
Iowa
Mississippi
Arkansas
Louisiana
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Ohio

States with the highest Black unemployment rates: Illinois, Nevada Michigan, Idaho, Alaska, Wisconsin, California, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Ohio.

Lowest: Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Hampshire, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, Maryland, Virginia, New Mexico/Washington(tie).

The states that do the best on both ends are: Maryland and Virginia. The worst are Wisconsin and Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:58 AM

29,348 posts, read 9,531,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would rather being doing good than doing bad. I bring this stuff up because of the constant questioning of why Blacks vote Democrat.
Don't get me started on why people vote for either party. Suffice to say, it's complicated...

Odds Being Overcome, and Shifting Trends

Regardless of the ongoing challenges in academic and employment opportunities among African Americans in the U.S., there are still exceptional black individuals excelling and becoming prominent people in their respective states and nation. These achievers are dispelling the traditional myths associated with many peoples' views on African American progress, and paving the way for a better future for people all across the United States of all races.

10 States With The Largest African-American Populations - WorldAtlas.com

Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Crime rates in Chicago are spiking, hundreds of people shot and killed every year in the city, mostly black, a police force under siege, but "remaining a sanctuary city" and fighting Trump on illegal immigration is at the top of Rahm's priority list....

If Emanuel cared half as much about the black population under his jurisdiction who are being murdered on a daily basis, can't even walk to school safely, and go to bed hungry, as much as he cared about the plight of the illegal alien, then maybe something would be getting done.

Why do black voters still so monolithically give their vote to Democrats like this who obviously don't care about them after election day? I am genuinely asking black voters here, what am I missing? Doesn't this tick you off?
I suppose blacks want to. I don't agree but it's their right and choice. As a black conservative the GOP doesn't really offer much different to be honest.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Don't get me started on why people vote for either party. Suffice to say, it's complicated...

Odds Being Overcome, and Shifting Trends

Regardless of the ongoing challenges in academic and employment opportunities among African Americans in the U.S., there are still exceptional black individuals excelling and becoming prominent people in their respective states and nation. These achievers are dispelling the traditional myths associated with many peoples' views on African American progress, and paving the way for a better future for people all across the United States of all races.

10 States With The Largest African-American Populations - WorldAtlas.com
It's complicated. As for me, I vote for whomever I vote for. It is my opinion that some people question who Black Americans vote for due to a certain amount of resentment towards Black Americans. A big part being "Blacks support candidates that don't support my issues". I say opinion because I can't prove anything. I can only tell you how I feel.

Discrimination exists and it shouldn't be taken lightly. It should never be downplayed. At the same time, there are still many success stories in the Black population. I point to my father as one of them. Son of former sharecroppers who moved to the Great Lakes region(where he was born and raised). They took working class jobs. My father is an engineer with a Master's degree. I have a Bachelor's and I'm planning to get a Master's soon. We can find progress. It doesn't negate the discrimination taking place. The discrimination taking place doesn't negate progress.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I suppose blacks want to. I don't agree but it's their right and choice. As a black conservative the GOP doesn't really offer much different to be honest.
If this is the case, I would like for you to answer this. Why is there such obsession over who Blacks vote for?

Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM

29,348 posts, read 9,531,222 times
Quote:
It's complicated. As for me, I vote for whomever I vote for. It is my opinion that some people question who Black Americans vote for due to a certain amount of resentment towards Black Americans. A big part being "Blacks support candidates that don't support my issues". I say opinion because I can't prove anything. I can only tell you how I feel.

Discrimination exists and it shouldn't be taken lightly. It should never be downplayed. At the same time, there are still many success stories in the Black population. I point to my father as one of them. Son of former sharecroppers who moved to the Great Lakes region(where he was born and raised). They took working class jobs. My father is an engineer with a Master's degree. I have a Bachelor's and I'm planning to get a Master's soon. We can find progress. It doesn't negate the discrimination taking place. The discrimination taking place doesn't negate progress.
Seems we're the same in this regard anyway...

I also vote for whomever I vote for. Don't really know many who do otherwise actually.

Seems we're no different than most people in general if you ask me. Can't always prove or justify how we feel, approval or resentment from others is pretty much inevitable for another host of varied reasons. There are wins and losses when it comes to just about any matter of public policy, statistical norms as well as exceptions to the rule.

My father was an immigrant, raised in a Catholic boarding school, that amounted to little more than a high school education. He became the President of a pretty good sized American company doing business all over the world. Go figure...

I am the first in the family to earn a college degree, then another.

He passed away in September, a victim of Alzheimer's, a very successful man in the most important ways, including that of being a good husband and father -- the best.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times
Quote:
If this is the case, I would like for you to answer this. Why is there such obsession over who Blacks vote for?
Blacks now make up 30% or more of the Democrat party. The thinking is if the GOP could get just a higher percent of blacks say 20%, the Dems would be in even more serious trouble than they are now.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Blacks now make up 30% or more of the Democrat party. The thinking is if the GOP could get just a higher percent of blacks say 20%, the Dems would be in even more serious trouble than they are now.
That might be an okay explanation for someone who is running for office. However, most of this obsession is not coming from the politicians. It is coming from regular people.

When it comes to the average person, my perspective is this: My vote, my problem, not yours. I have to live with myself, you don't. When it comes to someone running for office, I have this to say: Don't talk down to me, come up with something that I would be in favor of.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Seems we're the same in this regard anyway...

I also vote for whomever I vote for. Don't really know many who do otherwise actually.

Seems we're no different than most people in general if you ask me. Can't always prove or justify how we feel, approval or resentment from others is pretty much inevitable for another host of varied reasons. There are wins and losses when it comes to just about any matter of public policy, statistical norms as well as exceptions to the rule.

My father was an immigrant, raised in a Catholic boarding school, that amounted to little more than a high school education. He became the President of a pretty good sized American company doing business all over the world. Go figure...

I am the first in the family to earn a college degree, then another.

He passed away in September, a victim of Alzheimer's, a very successful man in the most important ways, including that of being a good husband and father -- the best.
Not much different. Both success stories. I'm sorry about what happened to your father though.

We might feel certain things. However, we can't always confirm that everything is fact. I do feel that some people see it as their business to know who I'm voting for. In my gut feeling, part of it is "I want you to vote for the candidate that I want in office". "The reason I want my candidate in office because are issues that I consider important. If you don't support my candidate you are part of the problem". And this can go both ways. I know of a liberal who pretty much said if anyone voted for a certain candidate, they could feel free to unfriend him. I saw the same behavior from a conservative this past election.

This is why talking about politics publicly is scary. Politics divides people big time. I know of a few people who love discussing politics, and seem to love the staunch disagreements that come with it. Why, I do not know.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 PM

This particular thread was the tipping point to why I started this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ericans-9.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies