Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump's 20% Tariff Force Mexico to Pay for the Wall?
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means the US consumer will pay for the wall. It's like a hidden tax. 88 64.71%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means Mexican exporters will be paying for the wall. They will absorb the cost. 18 13.24%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico will hurt both nations equally because they will retaliate with a tariff on US exports to Mexico. 18 13.24%
I don't know what effect the tariff will have. 12 8.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
American companies have raked in huge profits on cheap labor in Mexico. If they pass a tariff to their product instead of absorbing the cost and lower their bottom line , it will stifle the sales of product because of a much higher price. They don't want that so they will have to play ball , the good days are gone and they will know that Trump is serious about changing the economic outlook for Americans here.
It's not just manufacturing. Mexico supplies the U.S. with a large amount of cheap fruits and cheap vegetables underpricing American farmers. A 20 % tariff on these ag products would be a boost to American farmers making them competitive for things like tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, and much more. It will actually be a boost to American agriculture.
As far as climate, the U.S. can buy and does buy fruits and vegetables from South American countries like Chile too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's not just manufacturing. Mexico supplies the U.S. with a large amount of cheap fruits and cheap vegetables underpricing American farmers. A 20 % tariff on these ag products would be a boost to American farmers making them competitive for things like tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, and much more. It will actually be a boost to American agriculture.
As far as climate, the U.S. can buy and does buy fruits and vegetables from South American countries like Chile too.
By boost, you mean the consumer gets to pay higher prices, then yes, it's a boost.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Can you list out the numbers on this?

I personally know farmers running large operations in California and Mexico - they are AMERICAN companies. They are using Mexico because of climate, land cost and low cost labor.

You talk about American farmers? Surely you know that American farmers cannot economically grow "high labor" crops without...wait.......IMMIGRANT LABOR...

Ag is only one part of it. The bigger parts are advanced goods we sell to Mexico - 200+ billion dollars worth a year. I'd like you to talk to the AMERICANS who make that stuff and convince them that upsetting their apple cart is a YUGELY great thing. Really.

Maybe I have things wrong? Are you sending your family members to pick lettuce ten hours per day and live in a dormitory? That is what the current price of ALL of the goods you have in the store is based upon.

I know my kids wouldn't do it for $20 an hour - they'd work in A/C for 1/2 that before they broke their backs in a hot field.

Pray tell - how many of your friends and family pack meat on the 3rd shift?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 PM

189 posts, read 110,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
By boost, you mean the consumer gets to pay higher prices, then yes, it's a boost.
Which will be soooo helpful to the working class people that supported the Trumpster. Of course, he will blame the high prices on those losers in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yes, it's past time we paid a little more for all kinds of things, and in return create jobs and a stronger economy in our country. Supply and demand will decide what items will cost more and what items will cost less, not the Mexican government and cheap illegal labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
how many of your friends and family pack meat on the 3rd shift?
Is that code?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's past time we paid a little more for all kinds of things, and in return create jobs and a stronger economy in our country. Supply and demand will decide what items will cost more and what items will cost less, not the Mexican government and cheap illegal labor.
Actually it's restriction of trade and choice, but hey, it's the bed we choose to lay in.

We won't even get to the part that he has to nullify NAFTA before he can do anything.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump wants 20% tax on imports from Mexico to pay for wall

Trump wants 20% tax on imports from Mexico to pay for wall - CNNPolitics.com

Does putting a 20% tariff on Mexican imports really force Mexico to pay for the wall?
Trump would do better to tax remittances sent to foreign countries by immigrants in the US.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Which makes it even easier for us to absorb. Pointing being: AMERICANS are paying for Gump's Wall.

Has Gump even read The Art of the Deal?

PS: Congress says this boondoggle in the desert will cost $12-15 billion. I haven't seen an estimate that laughably low since Rumseld said the Iraq War would only cost us $60 billion.
I really don't think it will play out that way we'll see though. I agree it will probably cost more than they say but that's just the government in general they'll waste money on golden porta-potties for the overpaid project managers getting 300 dollars a day per diem.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Can you list out the numbers on this?

I personally know farmers running large operations in California and Mexico - they are AMERICAN companies. They are using Mexico because of climate, land cost and low cost labor.

You talk about American farmers? Surely you know that American farmers cannot economically grow "high labor" crops without...wait.......IMMIGRANT LABOR...

Ag is only one part of it. The bigger parts are advanced goods we sell to Mexico - 200+ billion dollars worth a year. I'd like you to talk to the AMERICANS who make that stuff and convince them that upsetting their apple cart is a YUGELY great thing. Really.

Maybe I have things wrong? Are you sending your family members to pick lettuce ten hours per day and live in a dormitory? That is what the current price of ALL of the goods you have in the store is based upon.

I know my kids wouldn't do it for $20 an hour - they'd work in A/C for 1/2 that before they broke their backs in a hot field.

Pray tell - how many of your friends and family pack meat on the 3rd shift?
You do also realize that "immigrant" labor can be and is brought here as needed using temporary visas. There's no lack of LEGAL immigrant labor for farming and picking crops. Yes, LEGAL immigrant labor for farming. Your kids don't need to pick grapes if they don't want to. This isn't anything new. It's been this way for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies