U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump's 20% Tariff Force Mexico to Pay for the Wall?
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means the US consumer will pay for the wall. It's like a hidden tax. 88 64.71%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means Mexican exporters will be paying for the wall. They will absorb the cost. 18 13.24%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico will hurt both nations equally because they will retaliate with a tariff on US exports to Mexico. 18 13.24%
I don't know what effect the tariff will have. 12 8.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:21 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,609,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
YOU will absorb the cost, as will everyone else who lives in US. You've been had.
I guarantee you that I don't I was never a big fan of avocados anyway senór my fish tacos will be the same price.

Trump is the mastermind you people are falling for his negotiation skills he knows it will never be 20 percent it will most likely go all the way down to about 5 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:21 PM

21,652 posts, read 11,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Trump certainly can place a 20% tariff on Mexican importers. But tariffs are paid by the importer not the exporter. And those will be American companies. Many wholesalers for instance. So American companies end up paying the diffence or passing it on to the American consumer.

Over time it will make a difference in that the place to manufacture may well be shifted by such a tariff. So we may pick up more manufacturing in the US but it will be at the higher price that was created by the tariff. So we may pick up some jobs out of it. On the other hand the Mexican offsetting tariff which is certain to occur will tend to shift jobs to Mexico or other countries as US suppliers are made less competitive by the increases. So even jobs potentially created will likely be lost to the offsetting loss of jobs.

Sounds like the owner winners will be the two governments with increasing revenue from the tariffs paid by their people
We have choices. If they don't absorb the tariff we shop elsewhere and we don't have to buy their products. They went for the cheap labor for a bigger bottom line. If they put a higher price they will sell less product because they did not stay competitive in the marketplace.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The US exports $267 billion in goods and services to Mexico (2015). That's a lot of American jobs at risk if Mexico were to retaliate with tariffs and restrictions of their own.
If they raise the cost of the product and don't absorb the tariff, we buy product from others who stay competitive.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM

16,711 posts, read 9,078,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The corporations who moved to cheaper labor will have to absorb the cost.. they made the move to Mexico for cheap labor for their bottom line. Either they raise the cost of the product or take a hit to their bottom line. Maybe both to stay competitive.
Maybe they pay Mexicans less.

Maybe they reduce manufacturing in Mexico.

Maybe other companies stop future plans to move to Mexico.

There would be pain both ways. Mexico doesn't want this.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not surprised. The 20% for Mexico, and 45% on Chinese imports would have been enough to hurt us BIG TIME, but if he taxes EU imports to, we are pretty much done.

After he won in November, I said that maybe he'll be an OK president as long as he does not do what he said he wanted to do, but it seems he is serious about driving us off the cliff.
No, we can shop for cheaper product if they don't absorb the tariff. Trump knows his stuff.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM

78,298 posts, read 33,358,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The corporations who moved to cheaper labor will have to absorb the cost.. they made the move to Mexico for cheap labor for their bottom line. Either they raise the cost of the product or take a hit to their bottom line. Maybe both to stay competitive.
And then what? Cut wages?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM

17,609 posts, read 19,737,282 times
Lol... tax on Mexican goods means one thing... they won't make it into the US which would mean decrease revenue for Mexico... suppliers won't buy Mexico goods when American goods suddenly become cheaper...

Old 01-26-2017, 03:29 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,657,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I guarantee you that I don't I was never a big fan of avocados anyway senór my fish tacos will be the same price.

Trump is the mastermind you people are falling for his negotiation skills he knows it will never be 20 percent it will most likely go all the way down to about 5 percent.
Which makes it even easier for us to absorb. Pointing being: AMERICANS are paying for Gump's Wall.

Has Gump even read The Art of the Deal?

PS: Congress says this boondoggle in the desert will cost $12-15 billion. I haven't seen an estimate that laughably low since Rumseld said the Iraq War would only cost us $60 billion.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:29 PM

3,066 posts, read 810,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
One way or the other Mexico will pay and guess their products will come close to the cost of products in America!
A substantial portion of U.S. imports from Mexico ARE U.S. products. With NAFTA, some U.S.-manufactured goods move back and forth across the border multiple times prior to sale to the end-user. The lower-valued components are produced in Mexico with higher-valued components manufactured here in the US.

It's extremely efficient - and takes advantages of lower-priced input labor from Mexican workers who the US tax payer does not have to educate, keep in good health, or support in their old age.

Let me get this right. We're going to hurt US companies ... reduce their competitiveness on the world market ... raise costs to US consumers by an action that may hurt the Mexican economy enough that it sends even MORE workers across the border ...

but then - no worries - we don't have to be concerned about that because we'll now have THE WALL. Crazy land.

If Trump wants a frigging wall badly enough he should simply pay for it like we pay for everything else - out of general tax receipts. Instead, he's going through all these shenanigans just for PR - trying to say that Mexico is REALLY paying for it. Or that this is one of his prized negotiating tactics.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Lol... tax on Mexican goods means one thing... they won't make it into the US which would mean decrease revenue for Mexico... suppliers won't buy Mexico goods when American goods suddenly become cheaper...
They can sell them to the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or