U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM
 
26,236 posts, read 8,923,108 times
Reputation: 9125

Advertisements

Because of Trump, AMLO (Mexico's populist and anti-US candidate), now jumped from 4th place to 1st.

Alamo is the correct spelling. Remember it !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
561 posts, read 412,259 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
^^^ This keeps getting lost.
It keeps falling on deaf ears. What will the U.S. do with the 200+ Billion dollars of exports that we send to Mexico? All this talk of tariffs, walls and trade wars is ridiculous. When the adults finally sit down at the table, a more reasonable outcome should come forth. I think it's all political bluffing to satisfy a segment of the voting block. Obviously it is having an impact on the populist candidates political standing in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,219 posts, read 9,441,746 times
Reputation: 15521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Imagine that AMLO wins the election, how far will he take his anti-US rhetoric as a backlash against Trump? Imagine the day China and Russia would be allowed to station missile silos or missile defense against US nukes on Mexican soil, or station their Navies in ports all along Mexico and patrol off our coasts? And all because a loudmouth like Trump is ruining any relationship and goodwill we had with our neighbor. Scary times to be alive. It'll be the day when we have what is tantamount to a reverse NATO, comprised of Russian and Chinese soldiers, shoring up along our border on Mexican soil, just like how we send NATO troops to the door of Russia.

Even if that doesn't happen, what else could AMLO do? He could also unleash a title wave of illegal immigrant to the US border (who, even with a wall in place, will eventually find ways across the border).
Good news, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
 
17,537 posts, read 19,712,218 times
Reputation: 7291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
It keeps falling on deaf ears. What will the U.S. do with the 200+ Billion dollars of exports that we send to Mexico? All this talk of tariffs, walls and trade wars is ridiculous. When the adults finally sit down at the table, a more reasonable outcome should come forth. I think it's all political bluffing to satisfy a segment of the voting block. Obviously it is having an impact on the populist candidates political standing in Mexico.
Mexico gets 300 billion per year... 20 billion (overestimate) for the wall... 100 billion for a 20% tariff... which means about four month long tariff... OMG, FOUR MONTHS OF TARIFFS.... ITS THE END OF THE WORLD... wall is paid for, thanks Mexico... by the way, you also killed NAFTA.. Mexico loses... US wins... /the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
Reputation: 8699
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Imagine that AMLO wins the election, how far will he take his anti-US rhetoric as a backlash against Trump? Imagine the day China and Russia would be allowed to station missile silos or missile defense against US nukes on Mexican soil, or station their Navies in ports all along Mexico and patrol off our coasts? And all because a loudmouth like Trump is ruining any relationship and goodwill we had with our neighbor. Scary times to be alive. It'll be the day when we have what is tantamount to a reverse NATO, comprised of Russian and Chinese soldiers, shoring up along our border on Mexican soil, just like how we send NATO troops to the door of Russia.

Even if that doesn't happen, what else could AMLO do? He could also unleash a title wave of illegal immigrant to the US border (who, even with a wall in place, will eventually find ways across the border).

the sale of machetes is skyrocketing-- but in all seriousness - even the farmers are worried about what trump is doing- the millions of jobs and money will be lost in the USA- if he does not fix it OBTUSE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 2,619,469 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is exactly what I was getting at in my "We can't wall ourselves off from the world" thread that I posted earlier today. People don't seem to grasp that we are practically handing China and Russia a void that they will happily fill. We're literally inviting Russia and China to set up camp at our doorstep. The anti-American regimes in Latin America are just itching for an "Ugly American" that they can use as a foil to rile the masses.

Donald Trump is going to lead to a resurgence in the so called "Pink Tide" in Latin America ... and the results are not going to be pretty.

We have a lot of shortsighted voters in this country. amd they won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 2,619,469 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Third World status is nothing more than a NATO standard.
And stopped is spelt with two p's..
spelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
561 posts, read 412,259 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Mexico gets 300 billion per year... 20 billion (overestimate) for the wall... 100 billion for a 20% tariff... which means about four month long tariff... OMG, FOUR MONTHS OF TARIFFS.... ITS THE END OF THE WORLD... wall is paid for, thanks Mexico... by the way, you also killed NAFTA.. Mexico loses... US wins... /the end
Sounds so simple to you I suppose. There is nothing simple about the plan and it's ripple effects throughout the economy. Americans will be the one's paying for that wall. The tariff costs will be simply passed on to the U.S. consumer. There could be disruptions in components coming in to supply thousands of U.S. manufacturing facilities. The list goes on and on, so it's not just some simple plan. You have to think way beyond just the first layer of your plan there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 2,619,469 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the sale of machetes is skyrocketing-- but in all seriousness - even the farmers are worried about what trump is doing- the millions of jobs and money will be lost in the USA- if he does not fix it OBTUSE!!!
Farmers here in NC are very worried about Trump's policies but to me they should
have thought about that a bit before they voted for him.
At least those coal miners will have jobs. not!

Trump will have the US isolated soon enough , other countries are going
to catch on to his blustering and say
f -- you.
It's a two way street and Trump may soon find some heat coming down from
US companies that will start to see their profits go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM
 
5,323 posts, read 1,982,616 times
Reputation: 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Imagine that AMLO wins the election, how far will he take his anti-US rhetoric as a backlash against Trump? Imagine the day China and Russia would be allowed to station missile silos or missile defense against US nukes on Mexican soil, or station their Navies in ports all along Mexico and patrol off our coasts? And all because a loudmouth like Trump is ruining any relationship and goodwill we had with our neighbor. Scary times to be alive. It'll be the day when we have what is tantamount to a reverse NATO, comprised of Russian and Chinese soldiers, shoring up along our border on Mexican soil, just like how we send NATO troops to the door of Russia.

Even if that doesn't happen, what else could AMLO do? He could also unleash a title wave of illegal immigrant to the US border (who, even with a wall in place, will eventually find ways across the border).
It's funny that you think that we couldn't take over, or otherwise completely squash, Mexico at our whim.

We can.

No one is putting missiles or soldiers anywhere on this continent that we don't want them. That's just the way that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top