Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:02 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

I loved to go to Mexico as a teen up until about 15 years ago. I haven't been since the early 2000s because it is dangerous, even in American resorts.

Mexico's economy will become desperate without US trade. I don't want that. No one I know wants that. I'm hopeful Trump and the president of Mexico can reach a compromise that benefits both countries.

Americans want illegal Mexican criminals deported and the border secured and as a local taxpayer I do not want to pay to educate illegal immigrant children. I want my school taxes to go to American children.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-26-2017 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:02 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What exactly do you think that Mexico can offer China, Russia, Brazil & India?

Mexico's #1 resource is cheap 3rd world labor. How many Mexican built washing machines do you think they can sell in China, India, Brazil, or any African nation?

Mexican built washing machines in the EU? Will never ever happen. LOL
China has been investing in Mexico for some time - if only to avoid possible sanctions against Chinese-produced products. All Trump's anti-China talk? He's 10 years too late. Lower-valued production has been moving out of China for years.

I'm not sure why you think Mexicans cannot manufacture goods - a substantial portion of our high-valued US-produced goods (including automobiles) contain lower-valued Mexican-made input. If you're that worried ... better go get a good mechanic.

China is going to get a windfall from the Trump Presidency. For years, they've expected to triumph economically and we're helping them down the road ...

Quote:
China and Mexico have been friends for a long time, but after Donald Trump’s win in the US presidential elections, both countries are looking for more in their relationship. Over the weekend, Chinese ambassador to Mexico Qiu Xiaoqi promised Mexicans his country is standing by them through the uncertain times ahead. “We are very important strategic partners, and we are willing to increase our efforts together with our Mexican counterparts to inject new energy into these relations,” he said (link in Spanish.) “We are sure that cooperation is going to be much strengthened.”
https://qz.com/855355/china-and-mexi...protectionism/

Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Unless Russia and China can afford to support Mexico as a welfare State, Mexico won't be able to do more than make some noise. The US holds all the cards.
Yep, never gonna happen.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:05 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
For heaven sake's, that money doesn't belong to the US treasury but to the workers who EARNED it. Even Trump doesn't advocate confiscating it - that would be outright theft. His position is that it should be spent here in the US rather than in a foreign country.
Who is talking about confiscating it? If Americans had those jobs instead of illegals, that money would stay here in America.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:08 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
It was BOTH Bush sr and Clinton. Bush was working to fast track it into legislation(like Obama and TPP). Bush ran out of time, and Clinton added a couple things to it, and officially ratified it and signed it into law. Both were in full support of it. Its a perfect example of a bad policy with bipartisan support.
President Bush signed the agreement. Not Clinton.

Dec. 17, 1992, President Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Mulroney signed the historic North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Old 01-26-2017, 05:08 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
For heaven sake's, that money doesn't belong to the US treasury but to the workers who EARNED it. Even Trump doesn't advocate confiscating it - that would be outright theft. His position is that it should be spent here in the US rather than in a foreign country.
Actually the existing Patriot Act allows the US goverment to seize this money if it is determined to come from illegal activities. In this case an illegal alien working a job in the USA would fit that definition.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Mexico is also the United States second largest market for export goods. There would be huge consequences to making big disruptions in the economic relationship.
^^^ This keeps getting lost.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Lindsey Graham ‏@LindseyGraham

"Simply put, any policy proposal which drives up costs of Corona, tequila, or margaritas is a big-time bad idea. Mucho Sad."

Old 01-26-2017, 05:12 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
What makes you think Mexico can't simply replace much of that slack with China, Russia, Brazil, India, and a lot of African countries. Even European ones. That's what'd I'd do if I were the Mexican president right now.
Other than Europe, those countries can produce their own goods pretty cheaply, and without the cost of shipping them to the other side of the planet.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lindsey Graham ‏@LindseyGraham

"Simply put, any policy proposal which drives up costs of Corona, tequila, or margaritas is a big-time bad idea. Mucho Sad."

Those items he mentioned aren't on my list of must haves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies