Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They aren't immigrants they are illegal aliens. Last I read there are a half million entering our country per year. I'm some years it has been much higher. Along with them criminals and would be terrorists are sneaking in also. The wall will be useful in deterring all of them.
The numbers are going down year to year, but if you were actually informed you would know that fact.
So how many terrorists have crossed the border and attacked us, oh yeah, ZERO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:02 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, of course. I'm over 65 and am well aware of the number of jobs replaced by automation. It's nothing new. Remember typing pools and switchboard operators? Remember when an elevator operator took you to your desired floor in a department store? When I was a kid, a milkman would deliver the milk. I have no problem with that at all. I was only saying that such a mandate should be enforced and employers who violate the law should be penalized. I've never supported hiring undocumented workers, no matter what country they're from. If we enforce the laws, then there will be no jobs available for those who are here illegally.

This discussion is about building a wall that will cost more than $15 billion and I was only saying the money can be spent in much more cost effective ways to deal with this issue. I've seen posts calling Mexicans "savages" and other hateful remarks. That's the reason for many of my replies, but I've never said that it's okay for anyone to break the law.

What's an undocumented worker? Again, it costs us $113 billion a year for illegal aliens compare that to a $15 billion wall. Do the math!

Most Americans do not call Mexicans savages in fact the objection is to those here illegally so let's not blur those lines, shall we? Why do you care what a "minority" of people say about "illegal" Mexicans anyway?Do you actually think that makes your case? There are plenty of Mexicans that say nasty things about anglos also so what's your point?

Why not stick to the topic at hand which is illegal immigration is unlawful and objectionable?

Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The numbers are going down year to year, but if you were actually informed you would know that fact.
So how many terrorists have crossed the border and attacked us, oh yeah, ZERO.
Ever see the twilight zone show - where the people all hypnotized. Hm hm get the picture

Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Can some one tell me how many immigrants per day are entering into US on average? If it is not that significant, wall might not be useful.
I posted a link earlier to a Pew Research study on immigration from 2014 which states that in the previous 5 years, only 7% of immigrants were from Mexico and 22% were from other countries.

[url=http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/]5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center[/url]

"Meanwhile, the number of unauthorized immigrants from nations other than Mexico grew by 325,000 since 2009, to an estimated 5.3 million in 2014. Populations went up most for unauthorized immigrants from Asia and Central America, but the number also ticked up for those from sub-Saharan Africa. Increases in the number of unauthorized immigrants from other countries mostly offset the decline in the number from Mexico."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand the point you're trying to get across by posting this. What should the reader glean from these stats?
Well, I think I've been very clear, so you'll have to do your own gleaning. It's not difficult to extrapolate current trends in illegal immigration when you look at the statistics.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can't go by what is happening TODAY. It may be zero, but what about next year? If Europeans asked how many Syrians are crossing their borders two years ago the answer was not many. They sat back and did nothing so when the wave came they were not prepared. The other ting is you can't pull the plug on a wall no matter who is in the White House.
Fair enough.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Ever see the twilight zone show - where the people all hypnotized. Hm hm get the picture
I prefer something called 1984

Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I posted a link earlier to a Pew Research study on immigration from 2014 which states that in the previous 5 years, only 7% of immigrants were from Mexico and 22% were from other countries.

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

"Meanwhile, the number of unauthorized immigrants from nations other than Mexico grew by 325,000 since 2009, to an estimated 5.3 million in 2014. Populations went up most for unauthorized immigrants from Asia and Central America, but the number also ticked up for those from sub-Saharan Africa. Increases in the number of unauthorized immigrants from other countries mostly offset the decline in the number from Mexico."

Well, I think I've been very clear, so you'll have to do your own gleaning. It's not difficult to extrapolate current trends in illegal immigration when you look at the statistics.
The fact still remain that those here illegally are mostly Mexicans and other Latinos, overwhelmingly.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's an undocumented worker? Again, it costs us $113 billion a year for illegal aliens compare that to a $15 billion wall. Do the math!
I've already addressed this claim. Your $113 billion a year figure is similar to the assertion that 5 million illegal immigrants voted on Nov 8 and I cannot possibly "do the math" based on erroneous data. You just reminded me of a course I took in college on logic and deductive reasoning. Forming a conclusion from an invalid premise is unreasonable.

Just one more thing: The wall does not address the problem you mentioned, no matter what it costs. Those people are ALREADY HERE.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,137 times
Quote:

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Thanks for the information. There is always little concern in neighborhood about affect on school districts and home values going down. Everything is tied together so much in TX.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I've already addressed this claim. Your $113 billion a year figure is similar to the assertion that 5 million illegal immigrants voted on Nov 8 and I cannot possibly "do the math" based on erroneous data. You just reminded me of a course I took in college on logic and deductive reasoning. Forming a conclusion from an invalid premise is unreasonable.

The source has already been quoted why do you think it's erroneous data? Because it doesn't fit your biased agenda? Prove it wrong then from a viable source. I'll wait. Even if they only cost us $50 billion a year the wall would still be cheaper.

I haven't made any claims about how many illegals have voted or not voted.

I note you edited your post afterwards. Regardless of those already here those costs will continue to go up with the continued flow of illegal aliens into our country if we don't try to stop them. When are you going to address the fact the criminals and terrorists are slipping through our southern border also? You're willing put a price on our national security?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies