Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 AM

361 posts, read 432,079 times

Advertisements

I am a person who, especially this week, always comments on political posts on Facebook and Instagram, whether or not I agree with the post. If I agree with the post, I say why I agreed with the person, etc. But when I see posts such as, "All Trump supporters are racist, sexist bigots, and if you are a Trump supporter, go *********rself and never talk to me again," I will comment (I am a Trump supporter by the way) and set that person straight. I accomplish nothing, and it usually leads to a hurtful, heated argument in which the person tells me to go f myself at the end, but I feel good for standing up for my fellow Republicans. And of course I comment when there are people advocating the violent riots that went on following the inauguration or if they say my entire party hates poor people and gays, etc. I will not get into it if I go to school or work with the person because I have to see them often and I don't want to make things awkward, but I get involved in arguments between friends and their own friends to defend my friends and family members (who are all in the same party as me) from the hurtful comments that are said to them. Most of the time, I don't even personally know the person I am yelling at. And I have had my own friends, who agree with me, tell me to stop commenting on posts or they will unfriend me, because they are sick of seeing it. So anyway, when you see political posts on social media, especially when it is a hurtful post towards members of your party, do you comment and set the poster straight or do you just be silent? Explain your reasoning.

Last edited by xxblue20; 01-23-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I don't take part in any political discussions where I can't remain anonymous. Those comments are permanent and can come back to haunt you. Be careful if you expect you may ever have to apply for a job again in your life. However, if you are a self-made billionaire, say whatever you want to say.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
No one's opinion was ever changed from a social media post and I let that dictate my actions. I generally ignore them all - both ones I agree with and ones I do not. For those people on my social media pages who post incessant political posts, I will generally unfollow (e.g. not see on my timeline) but not unfriend. No need to cause issues over something stupid like political posts on social media.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
I don't on identifiable social media, especially Facebook because it informs all of your friends whenever you comment on something.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Almost never. Maybe half a dozen times total, if that. As a non leftist it could be dangerous for me to say what I think on an open forum. I cannot expose my children's financial well being to such a risk.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Never comment on Facebook or Twitter. I've had to unfollow my mother in law and my wife's aunt because they have lost their minds since the election and they comment on everything.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Never comment on Facebook or Twitter. I've had to unfollow my mother in law and my wife's aunt because they have lost their minds since the election and they comment on everything.
I have an aunt who posts anti-Trump stuff 50-60 times a day. I too had to unfollow her - didn't defriend but I couldn't deal with the cluttering up of my timeline anymore. Yes, some people have lost their dang minds with this election.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am a person who, especially this week, always comments on political posts on Facebook and Instagram, whether or not I agree with the post. If I agree with the post, I say why I agreed with the person, etc. But when I see posts such as, "All Trump supporters are racist, sexist bigots, and if you are a Trump supporter, go *********rself and never talk to me again," I will comment (I am a Trump supporter by the way) and set that person straight. I accomplish nothing, and it usually leads to a hurtful, heated argument in which the person tells me to go f myself at the end, but I feel good for standing up for my fellow Republicans. And of course I comment when there are people advocating the violent riots that went on following the inauguration or if they say my entire party hates poor people and gays, etc. I will not get into it if I go to school or work with the person because I have to see them often and I don't want to make things awkward, but I get involved in arguments between friends and their own friends to defend my friends and family members (who are all in the same party as me) from the hurtful comments that are said to them. Most of the time, I don't even personally know the person I am yelling at. And I have had my own friends, who agree with me, tell me to stop commenting on posts or they will unfriend me, because they are sick of seeing it. So anyway, when you see political posts on social media, especially when it is a hurtful post towards members of your party, do you comment and set the poster straight or do you just be silent? Explain your reasoning.
Politics are not the best thing to put on FB, they are much better discussed in places like this. Why alienate your aunt beth, or get into it with that kid you went to school with..

Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have an aunt who posts anti-Trump stuff 50-60 times a day. I too had to unfollow her - didn't defriend but I couldn't deal with the cluttering up of my timeline anymore. Yes, some people have lost their dang minds with this election.
I couldn't deal with the sadness of watching them behave that way. Like saying "you go girl" about Ashley Judd's crazy rant. These are people who I used to respect. Common sense folks who have lost their freaking minds.

A sad day in America.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
...sadly too often, because at the end of the day it's just head-butting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies