U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:26 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,870,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The USA imports 60% of winter fruits and vegetables from Mexico. Here is a list of items that will go up in price dramatically.

Cereals Breads Gasoline Beer Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists.

There are hundreds of more items that will cost a lot more.

20% tariff will hurt all Americans. There is no way to bring these specific jobs back to the USA. Our weather from October to March every year is to cold to get the job done.
Like I said on another thread - Calm down.

Tariffs can be adjusted or even eliminated entirely on certain imports if a country wants to do it. It just depends on the two nations sitting down and negotiating. IMHO, Trump the businessman is establishing a STRONG negotiating position because the ball is really in our court. The USA has a much larger and wealthier population and a much larger economy then Mexico and we almost certainly can get a better deal than NAFTA. NAFTA was a terrible deal for the USA and the results show it - almost a 60 billion trade deficit with Mexico last year.

Btw, tariffs are how countries raised a major part of their revenue for many years before corporations started pushing the "free trade" religion that so many people have been brainwashed into believing. Today, instead of tariffs on foreign imports, they got the US and other governments taxing their own people with an income tax! How about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 11:01 AM

5,034 posts, read 2,206,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Limp, bland, frozen veggies are gross. I would not eat them as a child over 50 years ago. People who cannot bother to cook eat them. I will pay more money, and do, to get fresh, even if they are from Mexico.

I prefer Canned. Except tomatoes.......which I will only eat fresh ones from my garden. In the winter canned tomatoes have better taste than hot house ones sold in the store........

Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM

13,054 posts, read 7,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Like I said on another thread - Calm down.

Tariffs can be adjusted or even eliminated entirely on certain imports if a country wants to do it. It just depends on the two nations sitting down and negotiating. IMHO, Trump the businessman is establishing a STRONG negotiating position because the ball is really in our court. The USA has a much larger and wealthier population and a much larger economy then Mexico and we almost certainly can get a better deal than NAFTA. NAFTA was a terrible deal for the USA and the results show it - almost a 60 billion trade deficit with Mexico last year.

Btw, tariffs are how countries raised a major part of their revenue for many years before corporations started pushing the "free trade" religion that so many people have been brainwashed into believing. Today, instead of tariffs on foreign imports, they got the US and other governments taxing their own people with an income tax! How about that!
I bolded the pertinent part of your post. Based on your own post that proves a point. There will always be a trade deficit between Mexico and the USA. Why?

Simply Because the USA has more people, with more money than Mexican citizens have, to buy stuff. We will always purchase more goods from Mexico than they purchase from us, no matter what type of trade deal we construct with Mexico.
At the end of the year there will always be more goods bought by americans than Mexicans no matter how you negotiate a new trade deal. The deficit is only 12% of total trade dollars between the two nations. That's a lot less than many other nations.
I've added a link to the actual figures and the deficit percentage has remained relatively consistent even before NAFTA, although one can readily see that the amount of trade between both countries has grown exponentially after the passage of NAFTA.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2010.html

Old 01-28-2017, 11:29 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I bolded the pertinent part of your post. Based on your own post that proves a point. There will always be a trade deficit between Mexico and the USA. Why?

Simply Because the USA has more people, with more money than Mexican citizens have, to buy stuff. We will always purchase more goods from Mexico than they purchase from us, no matter what type of trade deal we construct with Mexico.
At the end of the year there will always be more goods bought by americans than Mexicans no matter how you negotiate a new trade deal. The deficit is only 12% of total trade dollars between the two nations. That's a lot less than many other nations.
I've added a link to the actual figures and the deficit percentage has remained relatively consistent even before NAFTA, although one can readily see that the amount of trade between both countries has grown exponentially after the passage of NAFTA.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2010.html
Which is one reason why Mexico gains more from an absolute free trade deal then the United States. The same goes for Canada but even moreso because of its smaller population (less than 40 million Canadians). However, Canada does not have such a huge cheap labor advantage over the USA, which is why you do not see American corporations moving their operations to Canada to the same extent as they are moving to Mexico. Canada is also an American ally, part of NATO and often helps the USA internationally.

Anyway, the United States has a huge internal market and it leaders were irresponsible and never should not have given away free access to it with basically no requirements or strings attached. Entrance to the American market is so valuable, we almost certainly could have negotiated better deals. And we gave the same free trade rights to dictatorships as we do to our fellow democracies and even our allies. It makes no sense and basically our leaders gave away the store for free.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 AM

200 posts, read 103,205 times
We had food before the Mexicans...and we will have food after the mexicans. We are 40% of their GDP...they are 3% of ours. They have no leverage!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:38 AM

3,905 posts, read 1,517,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'll be pissed if my avocados go up to $5 each.
Fib - just swing my place - I have an Avocado tree between me and the golf course. I also have 3 banana trees, one papaya tree, and 2 or 3 pineapple plant. Help yourself.

The lemon tree isn't doing very well, though.

Mahalo

Old 01-28-2017, 11:43 AM

29,518 posts, read 16,434,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The USA imports 60% of winter fruits and vegetables from Mexico. .
All import tariffs are bad and should be eliminated.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Which is one reason why Mexico gains more from an absolute free trade deal then the United States. The same goes for Canada but even moreso because of its smaller population (less than 40 million Canadians). However, Canada does not have such a huge cheap labor advantage over the USA, which is why you do not see American corporations moving their operations to Canada to the same extent as they are moving to Mexico. Canada is also an American ally, part of NATO and often helps the USA internationally.

Anyway, the United States has a huge internal market and it leaders were irresponsible and never should not have given away free access to it with basically no requirements or strings attached. Entrance to the American market is so valuable, we almost certainly could have negotiated better deals. And we gave the same free trade rights to dictatorships as we do to our fellow democracies and even our allies. It makes no sense and basically our leaders gave away the store for free.
There are benefits, though. An Example.

If all American cars and their components were made in the USA, then they would be much more expensive than the competition and nobody would buy them. Why? Because the Manufacturers have to provide an American living wage to each employee along the assembly line. This would include, matching 401K, FICA, social security matching and health insurance.
By moving some plants to countries like Mexico, they don't have to pay anything near the same wages, Social security, health insurance, 401K or any other expenses.
This actually subsidizes the remaining American assembly plants, keeps American jobs in place and makes the end product competitive on the global marketplace. You could say that the low wages of Mexican car makers subsidizes the living wage of the American car maker for the same vehicle.
You make every part of every American automobile here in America and nobody will be able to afford them compared to other brands.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM

9,173 posts, read 7,039,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I put together a nice salad yesterday right out of the garden. Plus, many types of fruit trees fruit this time of year too. I have a chinese plug and fig that are going nutz right now.
So?

Old 01-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I put together a nice salad yesterday right out of the garden. Plus, many types of fruit trees fruit this time of year too. I have a chinese plug and fig that are going nutz right now.
Were working on our traditional 2 seat outhouse now. When finished, we'll be able to disconnect our water line and have the kids carry our needed freshwater after school on the mules we got from the BLM. Go Trump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies