Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,891,532 times

Advertisements

Americans need to go on a diet anyway. Especially me. No more mexican avacados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,856,724 times
The Government has always dictated to farmers what crops to grow or not to grow. It waald be nice if the farmers were allowed to grow crops as they did in the 40-50-60!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,310,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The USA imports 60% of winter fruits and vegetables from Mexico. Here is a list of items that will go up in price dramatically.

Cereals Breads Gasoline Beer Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists.

There are hundreds of more items that will cost a lot more.

20% tariff will hurt all Americans. There is no way to bring these specific jobs back to the USA. Our weather from October to March every year is to cold to get the job done.
So let me understand this, outside of tequila on your list. What doesn't the South, Midwest and the California and Arizona not grow here? I love all the amazing things the Mexican nation grows and its an amazing cuisine but large scale production of bananas is not one of them.

"Cereals ? Breads ? Oatmeal? " We do have the midwest?

"Gasoline" ???

" Beer" ????? what the hell?

" Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists."

I grow Carrots, Tomatoes, Green beans,Kale, Limes ,and Lemons in my own garden and could grow Cabbage and Alfalfa spouts if I wanted to. I love Mexicos amazing gifts to world cuisine , they introduced so many amazing things to the world in cuisine, but I dont like the social effects of illegal immigration.

We should and we will still have huge trade with mexico but immigration from EVERYWHERE into America needs to be curtailed dramatically

Old 01-28-2017, 09:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,626,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
So let me understand this, outside of tequila on your list. What doesn't the South, Midwest and the California and Arizona not grow here? I love all the amazing things the Mexican nation grows and its an amazing cuisine but large scale production of bananas is not one of them.

"Cereals ? Breads ? Oatmeal? " We do have the midwest?

"Gasoline" ???

" Beer" ????? what the hell?

" Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists."
When supply decreases, price increases.

I thought every american learned this early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I grow Carrots, Tomatoes, Green beans,Kale, Limes ,and Lemons in my own garden and could grow Cabbage and Alfalfa spouts if I wanted to.
Of course you could, and I'm a big advocate of everyone growing a garden. I work pretty seriously at it myself.

But the topic of this thread is how tariffs will pay for the wall. So that puts you in a bit of a bind, doesn't it? If you want the wall built, you'll have to buy the more expensive produce from Mexico rather than grow your own.

Also you'll have to buy the more expensive goods from Mexico, as opposed to the cheaper ones from China.

And at some point, it will become clear to you that YOU are paying for the wall. Not Mexico.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,310,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
When supply decreases, price increases.

I thought every american learned this early on.

Of course you could, and I'm a big advocate of everyone growing a garden. I work pretty seriously at it myself.

But the topic of this thread is how tariffs will pay for the wall. So that puts you in a bit of a bind, doesn't it? If you want the wall built, you'll have to buy the more expensive produce from Mexico rather than grow your own.

Also you'll have to buy the more expensive goods from Mexico, as opposed to the cheaper ones from China.

And at some point, it will become clear to you that YOU are paying for the wall. Not Mexico.
I dont care if taxpayers pay for the wall compared to the cost in terms of social services illegal immigrants use, costs to public schools and esl programs, welfare, prisons, etc

I am not even talking about the southern border, fairfax county in virginia is wealthy but half the kids dont even speak the english language at home and are from every country you can imagine. We need to curtail all immigration

These are from ann coulters twitter

" Cost of building wall FAR BELOW cost of imprisoning more than half a million illegal immigrants. (absolute minimum number.)

Cost of building wall roughly equal to 1 year's worth of educating illegal immigrants in L.A. alone - where 2/3rds of students are Hispanic.

Cost of building wall roughly equal to 1 year's worth of unemployment benefits paid to Americans whose jobs were taken by illegal immigrants"

Mexico is getting tough on its southern border as well, but I want to see a massive cap on immigrants from the entire world and a total ban on islamic immigrants outside of kurds

Last edited by floridanative10; 01-28-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 PM

29,881 posts, read 11,440,468 times
Quote:
The USA imports 60% of winter fruits and vegetables from Mexico. Here is a list of items that will go up in price dramatically.

Cereals Breads Gasoline Beer Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists.

20% tariff will hurt all Americans. There is no way to bring these specific jobs back to the USA. Our weather from October to March every year is to cold to get the job done.
I did not know that Beer, Cereal, Pasta, Tequila and cooking oil are winter only products. I guess we are all doomed.

We are losing 60 billion a year with the deals we have. You are paying a lot more than you think for these items now.

Seriously its called negotiating. You have to go in strong and make Mexico believe than anything is possible. Read Trump's "Art of the deal" and get some understanding on how Trump does his deals. There are no tariffs about to start and we are far from that actually happening. My guess is Mexico is not dumb enough to not work something out with Trump.

All will be well. Relax in your safe space for a while if necessary.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,192,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'll be pissed if my avocados go up to $5 each.
If Avocados are $1.50 now, they'd be $1.80 afterwards. Where people are getting $5 from is beyond me. Still, I would not support a tariff to build the wall because I don't believe a wall will keep them out any more than a deadbolt will keep someone from breaking into your home... if they want in, they'll find a way in, wall or no wall. The people who support the wall are naive, law abiding people who have obviously never had criminal impulses... the types that if they found $500 laying in the street, would take it to the police station to try to find it's real owner instead of keep it.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:54 PM

29,881 posts, read 11,440,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If Avocados are $1.50 now, they'd be $1.80 afterwards. Where people are getting $5 from is beyond me. Still, I would not support a tariff to build the wall because I don't believe a wall will keep them out any more than a deadbolt will keep someone from breaking into your home... if they want in, they'll find a way in, wall or no wall. The people who support the wall are naive, law abiding people who have obviously never had criminal impulses... the types that if they found $500 laying in the street, would take it to the police station to try to find it's real owner instead of keep it.
We have a wall / fence now. Problem is it is not complete and the illegals and drug runners know where the incomplete spots are. Israel built a wall. 99.9% effective. It can be done. Are you a American or a American't?

Netanyahu supports Trump's border wall: 'Trump is right. I built a wall. Great success.' - Israel News - Haaretz.com

A deadbolt will not prevent all break ins but its better than leaving the door wide open which is what we have now. Again be a "AmeriCan" If Israel in very dangerous part of the world can do this we can here.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:22 PM

33,468 posts, read 17,989,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Limp, bland, frozen veggies are gross. I would not eat them as a child over 50 years ago. People who cannot bother to cook eat them. I will pay more money, and do, to get fresh, even if they are from Mexico.
You don't eat them thawed . They are for cooking. Steam fresh is good too.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:25 PM

33,468 posts, read 17,989,376 times
Quote:

Let the liberals buy the Mexican half ripe garbage. I will buy American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies