Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The USA imports 60% of winter fruits and vegetables from Mexico. Here is a list of items that will go up in price dramatically.

Cereals Breads Gasoline Beer Cooking Oils Rice Carrots Beans Tomato's Green Beans Pasta Kale

Alfalfa Sprouts Oatmeal Quinoa Cabbage Bananas Limes/Lemons Tequila and all Flowers from Florists.

There are hundreds of more items that will cost a lot more.

20% tariff will hurt all Americans. There is no way to bring these specific jobs back to the USA. Our weather from October to March every year is to cold to get the job done.
Aw, geez. Avocados are already pricey. If they get pricier, I probably won't buy them. Oatmeal comes from Mexico? That's a main winter breakfast for me and my dogs.

Bananas? Ruh-roh. Americans eat lots and lots of bananas.

Booze? The shot of tequila with a lime or lemon or salt followup is a big frat party thing, as well as happy hour.

Pasta? Tomatoes? Beans? I had no idea these came from Mexico.

The price increases for these things will hit us hard. And the businesses that service businesses that profit from these things will be affected, too. The snowball effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I lived in Colorado for a while. Can and freeze your locally grown stuff. You can also dehydrate things.

Yep, I still have butternut squash ...let alone canned and dried stuff.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't understand your sentence.

I corrected it for ya. Happy?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Learn how to can, it's not that hard. You can also vacuum pack and freeze.
I am not going to grow and can (or freeze) my home grown food. And I am not going to raise my own chickens and pigs and slaughter them for food, or hunt.

I don't want to revert back to the 1900s.

Is this what the GOP meant when they said they wanted to "take our country back". Like a time capsule - back in time? What's next, we make our own clothing?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I gotta say that I'm not much worried about this wall getting built. If Trump manages to get some sort of tariff against Mexico passed, it's clear that most people will boycott Mexican products rather than pay the increased price. No money=no wall. Cool by me.
Not how economics works . You are assuming Mexico is getting commodity prices. It depends on who is getting the surplus. if the US consumer is getting most of the benefit, then they will pay. If Mexico is getting most of it, Mexico is going to eat it.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why not take your arguments to Mexico since they are the ones who already pay more for American goods? Perhaps we should have a service tax and drive lawyers and accountants to Mexico? Why not? Mexican stuff will be cheaper. Of course our lawyers and accounts will not have any money at all.

whatever , dude. This is what happens when you buy cheap stuff at the expense of the rust belt. They had a little surprise for ya. They think its your turn to pay more.
I'm sorry, but although you corrected the sentence, I still don't understand what you're saying.

My point is this thread is that everyone, even those who want to see a wall built and have Mexico pay for it, acknowledged that any tariff will be passed on to the American consumer. As a reaction, they're all saying they'll stop buying Mexican goods. If they stop buying Mexican goods, the tariff won't get paid so presumably the wall won't get built. Or it will be built with U.S. tax dollars which Trump said would not happen.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'll be pissed if my avocados go up to $5 each.
thank God most of them come from Florida and So. California. Many of the things on OPs list are things we could live without, others are grown in the USA as well.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Funny. I just harvested the last of my lemons this past weekend.

I made fresh lemonade with a few of them today.
My kids in Florida grow lemons all winter. Know what you mean.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Not how economics works . You are assuming Mexico is getting commodity prices. It depends on who is getting the surplus. if the US consumer is getting most of the benefit, then they will pay. If Mexico is getting most of it, Mexico is going to eat it.
Aren't you the poster who called Paul Krugman a moron?

If so, I think I'll pay attention him, a professor or economics, rather that you, a stranger on the internet.

If not, my apologies.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I am not going to grow and can (or freeze) my home grown food. And I am not going to raise my own chickens and pigs and slaughter them for food, or hunt.

I don't want to revert back to the 1900s.

Is this what the GOP meant when they said they wanted to "take our country back". Like a time capsule - back in time? What's next, we make our own clothing?

Yeah freezing is such a drag and totally 1900s. I put some berries in a freezer bag and closed the door. My back it just killing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies