Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-lifers: Would you support a legal forcing couples to get married if a child is conceived out of
Yes 3 6.98%
No 40 93.02%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
I don't think that would work if a couple is forced to marry due to pregnancy alone.

It would lead to divorce.

Then the mother would end up single with a child anyway.

How about expanding adoption options?
For the life of me, I just don't understand those who never look at that as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
The cost should be divided equally between both parents and based on the cost of raising the child not based on how much each parent make.
No, it should be based on how much each parent makes and adjusted accordingly if that changes.

Don't be stupid.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 PM

636 posts, read 392,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How about providing free contraceptives, expanding sex ed in schools and keeping abortion legal and available?

Too sensible?
Too sensible for sure.
If we actively try to solve a problem, what will the idiots have to argue about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How about we castrate men who father children out of wedlock?
How about we lobotomize people who suggest stupid ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you are against abortion but want to penalize the mother so she can't provide for her child. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. So what would be the penalization for the men who got them pregnant and just left them.
This is a big problem. Maybe the biggest.
It's not about penalizing anyone. It's about ensuring the welfare of the kids.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
As posted earlier, "force labor camps, sterilization, and other solutions, " for a parent who can't pay. Let the child die? It's not like we need more people.
I think there's just a teeny, tiny constitutional problem there...

Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For the life of me, I just don't understand those who never look at that as an option.
Because FMLA only kicks in at if you have worked for an employer of 50+ employees for at least a year and is unpaid for the time off needed for appointments, complications (i.e. bedrest, c-section), and recovery, and right-to-work states mean that these women's jobs are not secure. Not to mention pregnancy is a very real health risk for many women.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Call it what it is...shotgun weddings and it's right out of hillbilly mentality world.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am seeing this going around Facebook, reposted by many of my conservative Christian friends. In the name of "equality" they want to force a couple to get married if the woman conceives a child out of wedlock. The mindset is if the mother cannot abort an unwanted child, the father should also have a price to pay for having had unprotected sex before they were ready to conceive.

If and when abortion is outlawed, I worry this may be the next place the culture wars will go. It sounds like something out of the middle ages, but it's an idea that's starting to make it's rounds among the religious right.

Progress is not inevitable. Unless there is resistance, we could be like the society in V for Vendetta within 20 years.
You mention the Middle Ages after making a Christian-o-phobic remark related to a handful of Christians you converse with on Facebook. They sound like Evangelical Protestants. Yet you make reference to the Middle Ages, a period in Western Europe that was predominately Catholic.

It is important for both an historical and contemporary point of view. Catholic marriage is sacramental and governed by Catholic Canon Law, the legal system of the Catholic Church, and theologically the Catholic Church believes the couple creates the marriage and not the priest nor Pope.

Canon law 1061 requires consummation through natural sexual acts for a marriage to exist, without it being declared null.

Canon law 1069 requires both the engaged parties to reveal any impediments to marriage before the marital ceremony is performed. One impediment to marriage in Catholicism is forced marriage upon one or both parties. A marriage is null then, never existed that is to say.

Where American or any civil law of a country contradicts the basic moral and canon laws of Catholic marriage then the Catholic Church says divine law, Catholic theology and legality of matrimony trumps civil law.

So, in other words, no Kentucky hillbillies with shotguns aimed at some young Catholic man, intimidating him into marrying their Protestant hillbilly niece, is recognized by the Catholic Church as a valid marriage.

Bear in mind Arranged Marriages are not one and the same as Forced Marriages. Eharmony and these other online hookup sites are forms of Arranged Marriages. In the Western European Middle Ages parents and relatives provided the role of modern day Eharmony.

How often Forced Marriages occurred during the Western European Middle Ages I don't know. A subject in a time period I'm not well informed about.

However, here is an interesting video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N6wN6xWA7M
Sex and Marriage in Medieval Spain

Real Crusades History 90,324 views

There are several partners or contributors to the Real Crusades History videos listed on their Facebook page. But here are just two I copied and paste, to give their backgrounds they provide or claim to have.

Quote:
RCH founder J. Stephen Roberts holds a degree in medieval history and has researched and written about the Crusades for over fifteen years. He is also the author of 'Why Does the Heathen Rage?' and producer of a comprehensive series of video presentations on the subjects of the Crusades and relevant topics.

Partner and editor Rand Brown (pseudonym Strider R.) serves in the United States Marine Corps as a commissioned officer and holds a M.A. in military history from Norwich University. He currently writes scholarly articles and papers on the subjects of the Crusades and medieval warfare.
The historical and contemporary realities, pertaining to abortion not being legal in the USA through overturning Roe vs Wade, and with respects to you evoking images (possibly mythical) and references to returning to life in the Middle Ages, misses a broader part of American (even American Catholic) history and culture before Roe vs Wade and the legalization of abortion.

I don't envision, if Roe vs Wade were essentially overturned, a return to a life style of the Western European Middle Ages. Aside from the fact the United States, or it's indigenous population before then, did not go through that, technologically would hinder a return to that. Men are not going to fight with swords and women will not be traveling on horse back as their normal means of daily transportation. And the United States is not nearly as religiously homogenous as the European Middle Ages when Catholicism was really the only show in town for the most part. Albeit, Islam had a rival presence in certain parts like Spain, Portugal, and Sicily.

So, in a post after this I will post one or two videos of a restoration to 1940ish 1950ish USA, among Catholics (and Protestants) that I have seen a small percentage of Christians (namely Catholics in this case) attempting to restore. But such "restoration" are not just social and mores in the culture but restorations in the architecture as well. The 1960's destroyed, bulldozed, lots of secular architectural history in the country as well. The 1960's saught to annihilate the American people from all of its traditions of the past.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
having a child is never a proper reason to get married.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:49 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times
In reference and addition to my last paragraph in post #27:

This is an example of a liturgical, cultural, architectural, and "religious" restoration that has been going on for some years now before Trump ever ran in the US Presidential elections.

But this "restoration" of the Christian American era before the 1960's and before Roe vs Wade, is really a tiny, just a fraction of the Catholic and Protestant American world. Mainstream Protestant churches (besides dying except for the Baptist) are pretty much all rainbow flag flying liberals that would help abort as many children as they could. The vast majority, perhaps 98% to 99% of the organizational Catholic Church in the USA is the same way.

But Protestant Evangelical non-denomination churches, often pretty conservative, are growing in numbers in the USA and Latin America while mainstream Protestant churches are rapidly declining in numbers. Some within the Evangekicaks want a cultural and moral restoration of the 1950's. But some of them are not into that and are into Rock music, rap and all modern things for the most part. Whereas, the Catholics seeking a liturgical, cultural, theological, moral, and architectural restoration of the 1950's and a restoration of the Latin Mass are super tiny in numbers. (But this is the Catholic Church I refer to as "small" but will survive the collapse of the US empire.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55qVIlw6n8k
St. Stanislaus Church: The Restoration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l95cR-z33fA
Saint Stanislaus: 150

Quote:
Celebrate the history of America's oldest Polish Catholic Church! For 150 Years...
Notice how the women in that video during the Latin Rite Mass wear headcovering like these Coptic Orthodox women in Egypt do to this very day. Actually all Orthodox women all over the world do of all different ethnic Churches. The 1960's destroyed that in Catholicism and embraced Roe vs Wade by the laity. So, the destruction of traditions held in the USA happened on many levels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLI...&v=rlVlfj7rfsM

Basically, mainstream Protestantism and Catholicism are too far gone down the path of progressive liberalism to make a full return to the 1950's era culture, let alone the Middle Ages. However, there will persist a sizable portion of Evangelical Protestant Americans making a push for a restoration to that era. And only a tiny 1% or 2% within the Catholic world of the USA will go quietly about making that restoration within their own small circle, not bothering anyone.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Do I think it should be forced legally? Absolutely not. In my day (1970's), it was usually "encouraged" (aka forced) by the girls' parents. 4 out of 5 girls I knew who ended up pregnant in high school or right after, and married the baby's father to prevent it from being illegitimate, did not have a happy or successful marriage.

That being said, I always felt they should have never ended up in that sotuation in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies