Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No refugees from there.
are you afraid of refugees, or terrorists? You need to make that clear.

And in case you didn't know, much of the trouble and refugee crisis is directly due to Saudi policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
are you afraid of refugees, or terrorists? You need to make that clear.

And in case you didn't know, much of the trouble and refugee crisis is directly due to Saudi policies.
Very possibly both! The McCarthy Doctrine, 'Make them fear something!', is still very much in evidence today.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:41 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Shhhh!! Don't confuse the right-wing loons with facts!

As we all know - because we read it on Breitbart or saw a photo with a caption on the internet - the US is being "overrun" by "hordes of evil Muslims" that just somehow walk across the ocean and sneak into our nation... apparently disguised as refugees who then look for jobs, assistance in integrating, etc.

Yeah, it's just stupid. Terrorists are not going to try to hide as refugees since that would be insane; refugees have no shortage of vetting and attention paid to them. No, terrorists will slip across the borders in other ways, not "disguised" as a penniless family of four.

Right-wing nuts also forget that nearly every terrorist attack on this nation since 9/11 was caused by American citizens who basically either suffered from serious mental health issues or who went off and read one too many fake-news websites - the Muslim versions of alt-right media. But, of course, we don't see any call to make it harder for nuts to get guns... no, no... instead, watching Muslim family be starved or bombed to death because "they don't love JEEEEESUS!" is clearly the "right" thing to do.
Yes let's keep those desperate refugees that have waited years for entry another 120 days and declare victory. Let them suffer because Trump is afraid, this is what he does prey on fears and perform photo OP's.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the gays, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not gay.

Then they came for the poor, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not poor.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Islam, like nearly all religions, is an ideology. Its not am involuntary state of being.

It also happens to be explicitly sexist and homophobic and is discriminatory (at least financially) against those who do not believe it. Nice of you to stand up for a sexist homophobic voluntary ideology. Very noble. I'm speaking out - no more sexist homophobes please, we already have enough home grown ones.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Wrong.

Islam attacked Europe for three centuries before Europe finally launched the crusades.

Islam continued its war on Christian Europe for 1,000 years, finally being defeated at the gates of Vienna in the late 1600s.

Islam has always been at war with non-Muslims.

It didn't have the power to wage war for a while, but that didn't change its basic tenet -- which is that the world is divided into two "houses", the house of Islam and the house of Jihad (war against non-Muslims.)
you do know just because you start the whole with a "Wrong" doesn't make your argument any more convincing, right?

Yeah, Muslim world invaded Europe, yeah, poor Europe. Europe never invaded, conquered and massacred people in the middle east, majority of Africa, North and South America, Oceania, and god forbids as far as East Asia. The invading history of Islam on the other hand, is rather limited. You don't see them killing people in the Americas or Asia.

Yea, all done by "Christians" and in most cases unprovoked. and you really pretend Christianity is more peaceful than Islam?

Islam may have been in a lot of wars with non-Muslims, but Christians have been 10 times more wars with everyone in earth, including among themselves.

I am sorry, when I hear Christians or Muslims, there is absolutely no good or evil whatsoever. And Christian Europe definitely has cause far more trauma and suffer to the world than the Muslim countries.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 AM
bg7

Quote:
Not true. Extremists arose only because the "Christian" countries keep invading and meddling with oi rich muslim countries.

There is no fundamental good or bad about Islam or Christianity.

This is a nice pretense maintained by those who preposterously think all religions (ideologies) are magically equivalent. They are not, and never can be since they are different ideologies. Different ideologies lead to.... different outcomes.

Does Jainism, which requires no living animal or insect thing whatsoever be killed, how the same societal outcome as Christianity? No.
Did the (actual and real) pre-Columbian Mayan religion of human sacrifice have the same societal and cultural effect as Buddhism. What do you think?

Its this childish nonsense that's religions are all good, it is only humans which are bad. Religions are ideology. I have no love for Christianity - but that's not what's being discussed. Islam is explicitly sexist and explicitly homophobic. It also has special discriminatory rules for non-believers, and special discriminatory treatment of apostates. In practice, its also pretty anti-dog, anti-dancing and anti-alcohol. But even if you ignore those last things it is explicitly sexist and explicitly homophobic. And lo and behold, the societies in which this ideology is prevalent are on the whole at the sexist and homophobic end of the world spectrum. Who'd have thunk it.

In addition, a religion's hold on a people varies with the ideology itself. That has real effects. Some are generally impotent, some are very potent and have people surrendering their fundamental humanity towards others all for the childish promise of everlasting life.
Its just a PC normative nonsense to think that the contemporary forms of religions are all somehow equivalent.

Find the bad in the Koran? Yes its there (along with some goodness).
Find the bad in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? There is none.

Ideologies are voluntary also. To compare discriminating against an ideology versus discrimination based on gender, race, sexual orientation is just offensive.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
bg7

Quote:
you do know just because you start the whole with a "Wrong" doesn't make your argument any more convincing, right?

Yeah, Muslim world invaded Europe, yeah, poor Europe. Europe never invaded, conquered and massacred people in the middle east, majority of Africa, North and South America, Oceania, and god forbids as far as East Asia. The invading history of Islam on the other hand, is rather limited. You don't see them killing people in the Americas or Asia.

Yea, all done by "Christians" and in most cases unprovoked. and you really pretend Christianity is more peaceful than Islam?

Islam may have been in a lot of wars with non-Muslims, but Christians have been 10 times more wars with everyone in earth, including among themselves.

I am sorry, when I hear Christians or Muslims, there is absolutely no good or evil whatsoever. And Christian Europe definitely has cause far more trauma and suffer to the world than the Muslim countries.
In contemporary terms it is.
Not 500 yrs back. But so what? Christianity has become mainly impotent. Islam, unfortunately, is having a mediaeval style revival. Countries that are increasingly moving to a post-religious morality and towards a way more defensible universal declaration of human rights-based morality do not need to import those going backwards.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Islam, like nearly all religions, is an ideology. Its not am involuntary state of being.

It also happens to be explicitly sexist and homophobic and is discriminatory (at least financially) against those who do not believe it. Nice of you to stand up for a sexist homophobic voluntary ideology. Very noble. I'm speaking out - no more sexist homophobes please, we already have enough home grown ones.
When Islam came to the world, the religion gave women inheritance rights, stopped infanticide (Arabs used to kill their female babies because of pagan beliefs), and allowed them to lead wars...run major businesses, etc...

All the while the Roman Church was trying to figure out if women were human or just a spawn of the devil.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
In contemporary terms it is.
Not 500 yrs back. But so what? Christianity has become mainly impotent. Islam, unfortunately, is having a mediaeval style revival. Countries that are increasingly moving to a post-religious morality and towards a way more defensible universal declaration of human rights-based morality do not need to import those going backwards.
And where did this medieval revival come from? Research Sykes-Picot and the origins of Al-Qaeda.

In case you didn't know, in the 1970's and 80's the CIA actually brought Al-Qaeda scholars to the US in order for them to recruit in US and Canadian Mosques. I was a kid but remember it vividly.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
This is a nice pretense maintained by those who preposterously think all religions (ideologies) are magically equivalent. They are not, and never can be since they are different ideologies. Different ideologies lead to.... different outcomes.
When they start preaching the " ________ is the only true religion" crap or the "Our God is better than their God" BS they are most definitely equivalent and IMO to be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies