U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:52 AM

4,905 posts, read 1,363,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That's very possible. It may also be different in different industries.

I've been in the petrochemical manufacturing industry, and in the facilities that make sensor bodies, valve components, compressor pistons, etc, all the people running the mills and lathes are referred to as machinists while the people who repair those mills and lathes are in the maintenance departments and referred to as maintenance personnel.
OT but watching a computer controlled lathe is pretty awesome haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM

10,164 posts, read 6,276,711 times
Quote:
I could probably spend three hours to list current postings looking for machinists and have hundreds that are just like this:

Manual Machinist - Springfield, OH 45504 - Indeed Mobile

Press Technology & Mfg., Inc., a leading manufacturer of dewatering equipment, has need of a manual machinist. Must be able to read blue prints and have experience running large manual mills and lathes. Must pass drug screening. Competitive wages/health insurance. Apply after 8:00 am at 1401 Fotler Street, Springfield, OH 45504, e-mail or fax resume 937-327-0756 .

-------

I think you'd have a very difficult time finding many jobs posted for a machinist who fixes machines.

Whatever company you worked at didn't use the term machinist like most of the manufacturing world.

Here's a link for around 10,000 job openings. Not sure if everyone is what you are talking about but if 50% of them are , that is a decent amount.

https://www.indeed.com/q-Machine-Too...cian-jobs.html

Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM

38,185 posts, read 14,924,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Indeed...I find it hilarious that all of these people under the delusion that Trump deporting all of the brown people and saying "f-off EPA we're going to manufacture whatever we want however we want, wherever we want" is going to actually bring them any prosperity...

You know what was one of the main factors driving middle-class prosperity for the manufacturing-based US economy of the mid 20th century?...UNIONS. (yes WWII kick-started it; but unions kept it going for about 30 years after)

Prior to said prosperity you had the guilded age where there was a surge of wealthy industrialists and a ton of factory jobs but they were incredibly dangerous and paid next to nothing... large domineering middle class wasn't a thing back then.

You think for one second that Trump or his teamsters are going to support union-wages for all of these jobs he supposedly is going to get back for "average joe"?
Unions were the driving force behind the golden age of middle-class prosperity.

Miners were paid next to nothing before Mother Jones, union organizers, and the United Mine Workers.

There were a few folks like Henry Ford who realized he had to pay his workers a decent wage if he wanted them to actually buy the cars they were building, but most businessmen are like Trump. They pay as little as they can get away with and then cheat you at the end out of what they owe you.

Without unions to go to bat for you, you were stuck with whatever the corporate overlords could get away with.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM

10,164 posts, read 6,276,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post

Machining is fascinating, especially on larger scales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Y8q-1T4nQ

Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 AM

29,468 posts, read 15,451,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I bet I watched for twenty minutes a lathe cutting 36" diaphrams from a extruded PTFE blank, and that's about as low tech as you can get.

It takes all my will power to not order a 3D printer.

-----

I have a friend who was essentially scalped when a smaller blank wasn't chucked down properly and the operator didn't have the shield in place. He was walking past the lathe when about a ten pound blank running at who knows how many RPM came loose.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 AM

32,477 posts, read 16,633,525 times
Wait, you're placing the blame for Trump's failure to bring back manufacturing jobs already?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 AM

29,468 posts, read 15,451,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wait, you're placing the blame for Trump's failure to bring back manufacturing jobs already?
Take that crap to the P&OC forum. This is the "Cool things to watch and do in manufacturing " forum. Get out of here.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 AM

4,905 posts, read 1,363,516 times
Quote:
Take that crap to the P&OC forum. This is the "Cool things to watch and do in manufacturing " forum. Get out of here.
LOL

Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,913,209 times
When I was a kid, the teachers always told us to do good in school or we'd wind up working in a factory. Now, factory work is the Holy Grail for blue collar workers (except for government jobs). My mother and aunt worked in factories and it wasn't a picnic for either.

What happened? Now everyone supposed to work in factories? From what I can see, this isn't Germany where you actually have to be skilled to work in a factory. Or Japan, where the factory workers know the concepts of quality control. The factory workers I have encountered are pretty basic folk, guys and girls that can operate presses, lathes, do sorting, etc.

Still, I'm glad we're getting some of those jobs back because for many people that is what they're suited for. And the unions will make sure they're earning a decent wage, too.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:23 AM

32,477 posts, read 16,633,525 times
Quote:
OK, that was funny. One rep to you, Sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or