U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 PM

20,276 posts, read 12,140,849 times

Advertisements

I was in PA when I was school - after class I went to a co who made military folding cots. I riveted the moving parts - then a sewing factory, worked on packing quilts, then men's suits, lwomen's dresses, and last in a commercial bakery. The environment is what kills ya, not the work itself. Anyhow- " lay off" is the wicked witch who got everyone non-Union. Never felt secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:37 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,810,573 times
People who have never done it are pretty arrogant when it comes to factory work. First off, most simply can't handle it. Then there is the question of are you any good at it..,even good enough for the employer to keep you around.

Not just anyone can do factory/manufacturing work.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 PM

824 posts, read 567,761 times
I want to work in the factory making Donald Trump's suits; failing that, I want to work making Ivanka Tump's shoes. To what country do I need to move?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:27 PM

14,685 posts, read 9,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I suspect that, for the uneducated, the factory jobs that will return will reject them, not the other way around.

This isn't the Industrial Revolution. It's more the Robotics Revolution.
Seems like people have discovered robots as talking points since Trump came along. Robots have been on factory floors since the 90s. Nothing new. Besides, why aren't the same robots down in Mexico? You mean to tell me when Ford builds a plant there, they are going back to the 1940s technology? No, it is the same plant.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,153 times
The job you want is the one where you fix the robots when they break down. The high schools don't teach kids this stuff they tell them to go to liberal arts schools and become indoctrinated libbies while going in debt for 100k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I'm 34. Yes, if I could get a decent livable wage, with good hours (by good I mean daytime, I've worked nights at this job for 10 straight years...blehhhhhhh). But yeah, I'd work a factory job depending on if it's a proper livable wage. And for the record I know plenty of young black people in their twenties currently working at Ford ( I don't there). People will work, the problem is there aren't these factory type jobs around. A lot of good jobs are truly nepotism based or good ole boys network type of jobs. Hell, I've seen multiple people sky rocket at the corporation I work at and many of them barely have associates degrees. They literally sky rocket for being dude bros. (sorry for the tangent). Yes, I'd work at a job like this.
I'll totally agree there as someone from the rust belt blue collar and union jobs are extremely nepotism and cronyism based. Even back when coal mining was booming many people only got in because they were related to or knew the right person. They would get in at 18 years old.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-28-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 09:50 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,288,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Seems like people have discovered robots as talking points since Trump came along. Robots have been on factory floors since the 90s. Nothing new. Besides, why aren't the same robots down in Mexico? You mean to tell me when Ford builds a plant there, they are going back to the 1940s technology? No, it is the same plant.

It's the new thing for the left to utilize when debating about lost jobs. And actually robotics have been on the plant floor since the late 70's, starting out in spot welding and painting. The majority of jobs lost to automation was done long ago.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 01-28-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Many millenials go to college and earn a useless degree like creative writing or philosophy and end up waiting tables. But they feel so superior to the coal miners and steel workers who never wasted that tuition money.......

Old 01-28-2017, 10:14 PM

4,431 posts, read 1,651,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
no-- but I can tell you these kids are interested in what they learned in school -- technology! not menial work- we teach coding to gradeschoolers --- there will be people to work them sure- out in rural areas small towns - but they have learned not to NOT to trust that kinda of work- they will pull out on ya on a dime!
this, this and this!

Currently we have been bringing, millions of computer techies from India since 1999.

We have way, way way too many IT jobs then the amount of comp science graduate we produce in USA.

It has reached to a point that the entire US's IT industry is fully controlled by foreign Indian workers.

We can't teach enough to kids to all available IT jobs.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,808,481 times
Factory jobs aren't coming back. Unskilled labor is a relic of the 20th century. Why is this so hard to understand? Everything will be automated. We literally have millions of baby boomers voting for people like Trump because he 'will bring back manufacturing' when these same people can't even send an email. The other day my aunt (72), who I have to listen to for hours on end telling me about how much Jimmy Carter sucked, was in the hospital. While I was visiting her she didn't even know how to check her cell phone for recent calls or could check her contact list in order to figure out if she had someone's number or not. But she'll still vote for the candidate who claims they'll bring back 1950s and 60s Americana when that is nothing more than pipe dream. Do you not understand automation and how far advanced our technology has become? It's already been over half a decade since advanced robotics fulfilled its 500th million drug prespcription in an automated pharmacy with over 99% accuracy:

Medco's Willingboro Automated Pharmacy: 500 Million Prescriptions and Counting | FiercePharma

If a highly trained position like a pharmacist is going to go the way of the dinosaur, why do you think we're going to bring back assembly line manufacturing? Chalk that one up to the bin of empty promises.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:25 PM

1,652 posts, read 793,413 times
Absolutely. I've been banging my body up crawling under dirty trucks. I've cleaned toilets. You don't think millennials who are what 50% unemployed and living home with mom and dad still will work a high paying factory job? Think again, they will line up to take these jobs. Just go into mcdonalds or starbucks and look around, you will see millennials sweeping floors, scrubbing toilets, taking your order, etc. They don't want these jobs, but they were forced to take what they could get. Millennials are the ones pushing the $15 an hour minimum wage because there are so many stuck working minimum wage jobs. NO DOUBT they will work in a factory. That's a major step up for many of them and presents real opportunity to become middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or