Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 AM

1,194 posts, read 723,477 times

Advertisements

Recently had a discussion with someone regarding if manufacturing jobs did come back to the country. That the current millennial generation would not want to work in a factory type setting no matter what the pay.

Though I have to admit in my younger years when i worked in a factory---I hated it. It was dirty, smelly, boring, just a total depressing job especially when working in an assembly line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 AM

35,492 posts, read 20,853,033 times
no-- but I am a 63 yr old millenial minded person but I can tell you these kids are interested in what they learned in school -- technology! not menial work- we teach coding to gradeschoolers --- there will be people to work them sure- out in rural areas small towns - but they have learned not to NOT to trust that kinda of work- they will pull out on ya on a dime!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:26 AM

1,194 posts, read 723,477 times
Quote:
no-- but I am a 63 yr old millenial minded person but I can tell you these kids are interested in what they learned in school -- technology! not menial work- we teach coding to gradeschoolers ---
I totally agree...

Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,969,719 times
I had wondered the same thing about the deep-mine coal work. Of course, that type of work is an oddity: over the years I have seen interviews with coal miners that proclaimed that they did not want their sons to go into the mines. Yet, frequently, said sons would, for whatever reason (including, apparently, honoring a family history of going into the mines) take up that very occupation.

I will note that the Social Security disability regulations have a special section devoted to illnesses (black lung, etc.) commonly developed by deep-mine coal miners. Since I am in Fort Worth, I have never had to deal with such a case (I guess out in West Virginia, Kentucky, etc., they do).

Anyway, manufacturing jobs used to be the 'backbone' of good, sturdy, middle-class jobs. I suspect I have more confidence that many millennials would do such work, if available. Several of my nephews in that category have had no qualms in working in warehouses (two as we speak). Of course, they are not the type to think that they are destined to be 'famous' (as so many young people seem to desire), and do not waste much time on social media.

Finally, as I have noted elsewhere, here in the north Texas area (after several significant hail storms over the past two years), roofers are in demand. I guess many figure that such work is too demanding (which it is), for each time my roof was replaced (twice, in the span of one year), the workers all spoke Spanish. They could have been legal, but I have my doubts. Anyway, looking it up I was rather surprised to see that a roofer can pull in some $45,000 per year. If I were young again and needed work, I would have done it (as it was, I worked in an iron foundry for a year, and also a short stint building swimming pools, before deciding that the Law was more my style).

Anyway, some Americans will roll up their sleeves and work, while others will claim depression and try for disability (as I can swear to).

Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 25,997 times
I am a millennial, and I have been working in a factory for 5 years now and I have to say I enjoy it a lot. Granted its not a line type factory so its not as monotonous. I'm also about to graduate with my engineering degree and so far I prefer the Manufacturing environment.

I will agree with you though that there seems to be a stigma about working in a factory. People think its all an assembly line like you see it on TV shows.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:48 AM

39,028 posts, read 27,433,293 times
No, I won't because I don't have to. If I have to, I see no reasons why I won't work in a factory.

I know couple of friends would work in a factory.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:03 AM

19,466 posts, read 12,098,970 times
The open floor concept common in big high tech office environments is very much like a factory floor.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,922,785 times
I'm not a millennial, but manufacturing is good, honest work. That said, nothing, other than the serious suppression of wages is going to restore the US to a manufacturing economy. That ship has sailed.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:10 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,107,960 times
I don't know if I would, but I can think of many who would.

I am oblivious to what factory work is though. My Midwest grandfather worked in those his whole life but he died back in the 90s when I was a kid. I've lived in Florida 98% of my life and never have I met anyone who works in a factory. Factory work isn't a big thing in my home state.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 AM

203 posts, read 246,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Recently had a discussion with someone regarding if manufacturing jobs did come back to the country. That the current millennial generation would not want to work in a factory type setting no matter what the pay.

Though I have to admit in my younger years when i worked in a factory---I hated it. It was dirty, smelly, boring, just a total depressing job especially when working in an assembly line!
There's plenty of young people willing to work for better pay than what flipping burgers offers.

I like your topic so would add a few things.

Showcase your company’s technology since Millennials value one-on-one communication and feedback.
Rebrand the manufacturing stereotype with paid internship since Millennials are technology focused.

The skills gap in U.S. manufacturing 2015 and beyond
Quote:
According to a 2015 skills gap study by The Manufacturing Institute, 21st century manufacturing is a combination of technologies, ranging from advanced robotics to full integrated production system. People are referring to this as “smart manufacturing” or “Industry 4.0.” Their research shows that more than two-thirds of U.S. manufacturing companies are adopting 3D printing and more than half use robots.
http://www.themanufacturinginstitute...067A704CD.ashx

If you are referring to low-tech manufacturing only, then maybe not so much... only the very desperate ones with no hope for a future. Young people will surprise you. It all depends how it is packaged and presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies