Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:10 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you not believe that the bulk of engineering will eventually be done by computers?
I do think that that will happen, maybe even in our lifetime. When computers start being able to do the creativity + intelligence based jobs that currently require humans we will be looking at moving into a post work society though. I am not sure how we will handle that.

What would be left?
Manufacturing, nope robots
Transport, nope robots
Engineering, nope robots
Software, nope robots
Medicine, nope robots

At that point the only thing left really is entertainment jobs. Until they invent acting bot 9000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Heh and when that happens you might as well hang up the idea of people working all together because that is pretty much the end of the human race as the dominant intelligent population on this planet.

Not saying it won't happen, I think it probably will. But when a computer can program software better than a person that is basically a tipping point threshold.

Technological Singularity
Eventually, technology is going to do away with most jobs, but that doesn't mean the US should give up on trying to keep them now.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I do think that that will happen, maybe even in our lifetime. When computers start being able to do the creativity + intelligence based jobs that currently require humans we will be looking at moving into a post work society though. I am not sure how we will handle that.
So, should we tell people they shouldn't go into engineering and that there is no reason to have engineering schools?

Of course we should have them, just like we should still try to maintain and recapture manufacturing jobs.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Eventually, technology is going to do away with most jobs, but that doesn't mean the US should give up on trying to keep them now.
Some jobs will be replaced before others. Repetitive low skill manufacturing jobs being one of the categories that is getting replaced the fastest. Engineering, Programming, Doctors will be among the last because they all require high degrees of abstract thinking that we cannot currently replicate with AI. And I am saying this as a software engineer that works in the AI field.

As a young person choosing a career, millennials would be foolish not to see the writing on the wall for the diminishing line type jobs.

Perfectly fine to take as a part time or even full time job to make ends meet, just don't plan on it being a career or you will probably be dissapointed.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
At that point the only thing left really is entertainment jobs. Until they invent acting bot 9000.
Did you see the latest Terminator or Star Wars movies?

Actors are already being replaced by computers. They didn't film young Arnold, Princess Leia or General Tarquin 30 years ago for the roles they had in these movies.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Did you see the latest Terminator or Star Wars movies?

Actors are already being replaced by computers. They didn't film young Arnold, Princess Leia or General Tarquin 30 years ago for the roles they had in these movies.
Heh true but they still haven't quite managed to overcome the uncanny valley factor. The Leia in FA was pretty creepy. It is getting pretty dang close though.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:20 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
In addition, it is not a wise move to try to make a career in a field where your skill set is clearly increasingly being preformed by machines.

I am not sure I understand the fetishism of these factory jobs of yore either, they were not high skill jobs, they were not particularly fulfilling or intellectually stimulating jobs, and they were monotonous. The only thing they had going for them that put them beyond fast food was that a person with little to no education could perform them and maintain a low-to-middle class lifestyle and health coverage, where as in fast food they would basically be at poverty levels.

And if they were to come back now they wouldn't even be able to do that and remain competitive.
The fact they could subsist and raise families on those jobs is a big deal. No one felt entitled to be fulfilled by work, that used to come from family and community. Now its more about me, me, me.

I tried working fast food during high school/summer and preferred to work at manufacturing jobs, which were available as temporary positions for students. Reasons were- working with food made me physically nauseous, and being introverted, customer service was tough but I did it until I could find an alternative. ALL of us kids had summer jobs.
The factory work was just me and three friends from school sitting together in a circle gossiping (which we would be doing anyway) and assembling boxes, and paid more than fast food or retail. It would have been easy for someone out of high school to take a job like that full time and advance quickly in a company which provided full benefits and opportunities. No comparison to burger flipping for minimum wage. I know people who are wealthy from such humble beginnings, because they worked hard to advance and remained loyal to the company. That is what is gone.

Now I would advise robotics tech/maintenance for hands on types - trade school. Travel to your former fast food employer to maintain the robot of your former job.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Now I would advise robotics tech/maintenance for hands on types - trade school. Travel to your former fast food employer to maintain the robot of your former job.
I think that is probably pretty good advice.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Hoping for a good paying factory job is a waste of time today.

I started in a large factory in 1962 and made decent pay back then. I eventually went through a trade apprentiship and years later my own business.
Those opportunities are few and far between today.

The only possibility of a good paying factory job is either in machine building or maintenance and repair of production machines.
If you don't want full time college or can't afford college I suggest local community colleges with trade programs.
Some of the best paying trades are HVAC, Electrical and plumbing but in the construction industry the trump supporting owners are more likely to hire immigrants (legal and illegal)

Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 AM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
Well most of the monotonous jobs will likely be taken over by automation in the next twenty years. The jobs in factories that will be needed are, design testers, engineers, electricans, welders, maitenance mechanics, machinists, tool and die makers for small parts, foremans, warehouse managers, forklift drivers, inventory managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies