Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:23 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,444,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Some jobs will be replaced before others. Repetitive low skill manufacturing jobs being one of the categories that is getting replaced the fastest. Engineering, Programming, Doctors will be among the last because they all require high degrees of abstract thinking that we cannot currently replicate with AI. And I am saying this as a software engineer that works in the AI field.

As a young person choosing a career, millennials would be foolish not to see the writing on the wall for the diminishing line type jobs.

Perfectly fine to take as a part time or even full time job to make ends meet, just don't plan on it being a career or you will probably be dissapointed.
The problem is that you seem to be considering only the millennials that are actually preparing for the future and going through formal educations. What about all the millions of millennials that graduate high school with no plans to go to college?

They are better off in line jobs that will EVENTUALLY be phased out than standing in front of a deep fryer.

There will be line jobs for quite some time. We need to retain as many of those as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Heh true but they still haven't quite managed to overcome the uncanny valley factor. The Leia in FA was pretty creepy. It is getting pretty dang close though.

Did you see Rogue One? Unless you knew it, you probably wouldn't have caught that General Tarquin, or whatever the name of the Death Star's commander, was CGI.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,806,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you see Rogue One? Unless you knew it, you probably wouldn't have caught that General Tarquin, or whatever the name of the Death Star's commander, was CGI.
I did, currently you can always tell (not to mention that the actor is dead) - but it is getting closer. Keep in mind that this is just replacing one job (actor) with multiple jobs though (CGI modeler, texture artist, animator, voice actor). I guess they figured it was worth the extra effort in this case to maintain continuity, since the deceased actor is clearly not going to reprise his role.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Well most of the monotonous jobs will likely be taken over by automation in the next twenty years. The jobs in factories that will be needed are, design testers, engineers, electricans, welders, maitenance mechanics, machinists, tool and die makers for small parts, foremans, warehouse managers, forklift drivers, inventory managers.
My brother, an engineer, worked a a company that makes big storage tanks for the petrochem industry. They were working with 3M to replace welding those tanks in favor of molecular bonding them (glue).

All jobs are under assault from technology.

The one man company I started replaces other jobs. What I do now in a couple of hours replaces what two people did over two to three days.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,806,378 times
Quote:
My brother, an engineer, worked a a company that makes big storage tanks for the petrochem industry. They were working with 3M to replace welding those tanks in favor of molecular bonding them (glue).

The one man company I started replaces other jobs. What I do now in a couple of hours replaces what two people did over two to three days.
So it goes. I do think that, maybe not in our lifetime but definitely at some point, humans are going to have to come to terms with a way to survive when the paradigm shifts to a "post work" world. Currently the only thing we can do is try to keep ahead of the technological evolution.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I did, currently you can always tell (not to mention that the actor is dead) - but it is getting closer. Keep in mind that this is just replacing one job (actor) with multiple jobs though (CGI modeler, texture artist, animator, voice actor). I guess they figured it was worth the extra effort in this case to maintain continuity, since the deceased actor is clearly not going to reprise his role.
The CGI guys can do in an hour what it would take a crew of model makers and camera crew needs weeks to do. The CGI programs allow a single CGI person to do what required three GGI people to do just five years ago.

A few years from now, less CGI people will be needed than what are needed today for the same scene.

It wasn't that long ago that when you were doing an animation, you needed to build many of the objects you were going to use. Now, you can find the majority of them in one of the many object libraries out on the net.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
So it goes. I do think that, maybe not in our lifetime but definitely at some point, humans are going to have to come to terms with a way to survive when the paradigm shifts to a "post work" world. Currently the only thing we can do is try to keep ahead of the technological evolution.
Our biggest challenge is going to be dealing with the period between when there aren't jobs for most people and when people don't need jobs.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:42 AM

417 posts, read 342,459 times
Quote:

I can never see a job like say an Electrican or a Machinist, or a tool and die maker getting assulted by technology. I would recommend to kids if a four year college isn't their thing to go to their union hall and take the apprenticeship test and get paid to learn.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:43 AM

19,372 posts, read 12,023,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post

I bet a kid would take an entry level job at a factory. If they are taking jobs at fast food establishments they will I'm sure gladly work in an entry level factory roll (assuming these entry level jobs do exist as you say). If they have to go to go to school and in debt to get their foot in the door then that is asking a lot because manufacturing is still a dying industry.

The entry level jobs in manufacturing or warehouse environments may be temp jobs or maintenance, cleaning the equipment, weekend work, etc. Could be manual, heavy or dirty work, third shift. You do what you have to if you want in without experience or education. Many will train and advance a good worker, they are valuable. Kids wont go through that if they can work at Starbucks and get food stamps.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 AM

28,911 posts, read 14,260,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The open floor concept common in big high tech office environments is very much like a factory floor.

LOL, yeah they are currently changing our office to that open floor "community" type concept. I am loathing the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies