U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 4,025,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
If he is serious about wanting to put the hurt on the cartels that would be the way to do it. Not holding out a lot of optimism though since Sessions has a long history as a drug warrior prohibitionist.
I agree.

Unfortunately you have the Bible thumpers and Big Pharma working together to keep it illegal, despite the irrationality of that position.

Personally, I wonder what is going to happen in states like Colorado, California, Nevada, etc that have legalized once Sessions starts cracking down. While this may be a setback, I doubt it will be the end of the marijuana legalization movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 AM

9,902 posts, read 3,247,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Talk is cheap, get back to us when Trump actually acts on this issue.
ha ha , your loony toon abandoned you already.

He filled his cabinet with plutocrats and crazies.

He is putting in devos to defund public schools, so I hope you are

1 rich
2 no kids
3 your kids don't have kids.

otherwise it is back to the hedgerows.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 27 days ago)

17,988 posts, read 8,117,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Talk is cheap, get back to us when Trump actually acts on this issue.
That's my reaction.

Where's the EO to remove marijuana from Schedule I?

Where's the EO directing federal law enforcement to back off on marijuana enforcement?

What Sessions actually did in the hearing was tell Congress it's their job to legalize marijuana - in other words, it's not his job to do it. Well, duh, that's not news. Get back to me when a bill is actually introduced and Trump actively works to push it through.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 27 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is not his issue but one caused by the Obama admin turning a blind eye, Holder and Lynch should have been enforcing these laws for the very reason we are having this discussion. It's not the AG's prerogative to pick and choose what laws to enforce, why bother having a Congress? You now have a letter of the law AG and he's left holding the bag.....

In any event I loved his answer, it shows he has respect for the laws whatever they may be.
Turn a blind eye?

Don't you know about the Holder agreement?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree.

Unfortunately you have the Bible thumpers and Big Pharma working together to keep it illegal, despite the irrationality of that position.

Personally, I wonder what is going to happen in states like Colorado, California, Nevada, etc that have legalized once Sessions starts cracking down. While this may be a setback, I doubt it will be the end of the marijuana legalization movement.
Oh, far from it.

In fact, if Sessions goes too far on this issue - the backlash could cause serious damage to the Trump administration. Trump really does not need this.

I believe Trump when he says he doesn't touch alcohol or anything else (it's one of the few things he says that I take at face value.) He may not understand how strongly people feel about this or why.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:39 PM

15,474 posts, read 17,634,375 times
I agree that Sessions' statement carried the implication that federal strength will trump state's rights. How very democrat of him.

That said, I don't think Trump will let him do anything that Trump himself does not find efficacious. As a businessman, It might not surprise me if he does try to pass a federal decriminalization or legalization for purely capitalist/market benefit and build his ratings/crediblity with independents, libertarians, and liberals.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 733,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The president said so himself. Now his AG says Congress should pass a legalization law. And finally, the potential head of the FDA is a legalization supporter.

So now what are the "Trump will outlaw pot" crybabies going to say?

How about we all wait and see what happens instead of getting our panties in a wad over what might happen?

----------------

“The United States Congress has made the possession of marijuana in every state, and distribution of it, an illegal act,” Sen. Sessions testified. “If that’s something is not desired any longer, Congress should pass a law to change the rule.”

Trump Attorney General Pick Says Congress Needs To Legalize Cannabis

Sean Spicer, President Donald Trump’s Press Secretary, has confirmed previous reports that Jim O’Neil is being considered to lead the Food and Drug Administration.

O’Neil is not only a strong supporter of legalizing marijuana, he has actively worked towards it as a Board of Directors member for the Coalition for Cannabis Policy Reform, which helped legalized cannabis in California.

Trump Administration Confirms Marijuana Legalization Advocate Being Considered to Head FDA - TheJointBlog

Dunno, I am against legalizing dope. But Trump is not a carbon copy of what I like. In the end Trump either does more good or more bad...time will tell. And good or bad is all defined differently by who is defining it. A knucklehead on the forum was more worried about his tequila prices going up than by what is best for America.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM

29,518 posts, read 16,417,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me repeat:

He simply said that if the current laws are no longer necessary, then Congress should change the laws. He did not say he supports it.

He enforces the law, and will enforce the current law until changed. Given his anti-pot stance, he will likely close shops in CO etc
Enforcing the law is his job.

Making laws is the job of Congress.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 PM

29,518 posts, read 16,417,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Do you have a source of Trump saying that?
Yes.

"In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think that should be a state issue, state-by-state," Trump told The Washington Post. "Ö Marijuana is such a big thing. I think medical should happen ó right? Donít we agree? I think so. And then I really believe we should leave it up to the states."

Where Donald Trump stands on weed legalization - Business Insider

Old 01-27-2017, 03:25 PM

37,852 posts, read 14,739,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's my reaction.

Where's the EO to remove marijuana from Schedule I?

Where's the EO directing federal law enforcement to back off on marijuana enforcement?

What Sessions actually did in the hearing was tell Congress it's their job to legalize marijuana - in other words, it's not his job to do it. Well, duh, that's not news. Get back to me when a bill is actually introduced and Trump actively works to push it through.
Did it happen yet?

Trump is damn quick, you know. No time to waste when you're 70 with a hot wife waiting for you back the home place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies