U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 PM

9,186 posts, read 4,234,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Secessionists formally launch quest for California's independence - LA Times

California has frequently tried to seced over the years but they might just get enough votes to do it now using Trump to fuel the cause.

"Supporters of a plan for California to secede from the union took their first formal step Monday morning, submitting a proposed ballot measure to the state attorney generalís office in the hopes of a statewide vote as soon as 2018."

They say Californians are culturally different from the rest of the country, and that national media and organizations routinely criticize Californians for being out of step with the rest of the U.S.

^I knew they'd try this again after Trump won. They are always trying to leave.
I totslly agree with them.

That said, the Democrats would never let CA go as they would never win another election in the foreseeable future, as it has typically close to 1/4 the EC votes they need to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 733,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmuffet77 View Post
I don't mean to be selfish, but I don't want to see my country torn apart. I don't.
If CA meets all their referendums, and the Union allowed them to leave, what keeps other states from following suit? I love the flag; it's design. I like that there are 50 states. Also, what about the mass exodus of Californians who don't want to leave the US? I just think these liberal agendas have gone entirely too far.

I also think of terrorist attacks. How would they organize a military and be able to ward off foreign invasion?

If they leave, they should cut ties and not expect the US to provide for them, defend them, or anything else. However, I feel that seems harsh. It's kind of like letting your child move out the house before you know they are ready and expecting them to fall on their face because they're not ready for the pressures of reality.

Once the states go their way, North America as we knew it is ripe for a takeover by hostile countries. Esp the unarmed populace of CA who's guns have long been all confiscated by the dems...although they may still have BB guns!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The California Navy, of course. It consists of Steven Spielberg's yacht (which will head to Singapore immediately upon commencement of hostilities), a couple of garbage scows and a 1961 Edsel submerged in the Santa Catalina Channel. Truly a force to be reckoned with.

The U.S. isn't going to let CA take anything owned by the U.S., so all the military bases, personnel and hardware remain as U.S. assets, along with about 1/8th of the land mass of the state formerly known as California. That includes the naval assets at San Diego, which will be used to blockade the California coast, preventing any possibility of resupply from CA's newest bestest friend, Red China, once they sink the garbage scows, that is. From the Singapore harbor, Spielberg sends Gov. Moonbeam his regrets by text message, saying, "It's been nice knowin' ya, Moonie! Wish you were here! Good luck with that siege thingy!"

After that, of course, it's a fairly simple measure to blockade surface access into CA and interdict power sources running into CA from the north and east. Arizona will take this opportunity to requisition CA's share of water from the Colorado River, leaving southern CA very dry and very thirsty.

Net result: In six weeks, 1,000 people a day will be dying in shootouts at gas stations over the few drops of fuel that remain within CA's borders. Angry over water management policies that have diverted trillions of gallons of fresh water that could otherwise have been used to sustain a parched population into the oceans, enraged mobs lock the members of the State Assembly inside the capitol building in Sacramento and torch it, immolating all inside. In 180 days, having been reduced to a piteous state of atavistic savagery, cannibalism will become the primary source of nutrition for the besieged population remaining in California.
Frankly...it's pretty clear that the Calexit folks haven't gamed this out very thoroughly. Not very thoroughly at all. Heh, heh...heh, heh...

Sounds like a dream come true to me!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Can New York join California? Pretty please? I'm sure all the deplorables will be thrilled to get rid of CA and NY, and the feeling is mutual.

All the people in Mississippi and West Virginia and Indiana can have their own Jesusland and ban immigrants and Muslims and blacks and abortion and free press, and the "coastal elites" or whatever you want to call them can prioritize science and logic and entrepreneurship and American ideals. Everyone's then happy, no?

I'm completely serious. I think this is worth considering, for both sides.

There is the map...

Time for secession?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When the urban dwellers defeated the rural folkters.

Let's hope history repeats itself.

Things are a little differ now. The rural folk got machine guns the city dwellers got BB guns.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Be real careful there; MOST US Armed Forces IN Calif will place LA and the SF bay area under martial law and, your kind can't fight back cause of no weapons. Too, most of the different LE agencies will back up martial law till the "leaders" are taken out.

Like I said before: Mexico or China wouldn't dare step in because that would mean full on war.

Yes, that is right. And let me add microwave the seditious traitors!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u9p5naCkz2w/hqdefault.jpg

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Lol, You Urban dwellers don't have guns. What are you going to defeat us with Sex Toys? Your army would need atleast five hours to go to their safe spaces and have a nap. You guys have Michael Moore and Moonbeam, we have Mattis and the entire Military.

They are locked and loaded as we speak...Moonbeam will head the charge!

Concealed Carry BB Gun? - Calguns.net

Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You feel safer and richer, until they blow you up.

...or behead you!

Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Of COURSE there will be significant downsides for the rest of us, when California secedes.

However, they are more than offset by the one huge upside: we will likely never have to be saddled with a liberal President ever again (maybe even any Democrat). Congress will almost always be out of Democrat control.
That will be such a huge gain for the rest of us.

We should put it to Trump to get his say on CA.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
This might be an entertaining debate but the reality is an orderly exit of CA would take at a minimum 10 years to work through. The financial issues are vast. How does CA take on its share of the national debt? Do the Feds sell CA it's land in CA? Do the Feds retain military bases as it did with Guantanamo Bay in Cuba? Citizenship is a biggie as to how do we go about having people declare which country they are a citizen of? How do we settle earned Social Security benefits with CA citizens? Water and power connectivity would get pretty complicated too. All of the international border crossing points would have to be dealt with. People and businesses that want to leave CA or relocate to CA would want some time to get that done. CA would have to figure out what to do for a military, set up embassies worldwide, establish its currency. The list goes on forever.

The only way it would happen quickly is through a total national collapse where there no longer is a federal govt. A war wouldn't do it as CA would lose rather quickly given they have nothing more than their National Guard which is no match for the full US military.

Good summation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or