Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Reich wingers"? Just when you thought liberals couldn't get more hateful and juvenile.

And if you said that, you would be a white supremacist, bigot and uneducated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
yes, that's true too. Lots of drugs may be coming in thru those tunnels - so the wall won't help stop the drug trade?
It will simply re-route the illegals to come thru tunnels now whenever it's not peak drug traffic hours?
Would you rent out your vintage Ferrari for a couple hundred dollars because it doesn't make you any money sitting idle in the garage?

I wouldn't risk a tunnel that took months to set up and generates millions in order to make a few thousand on smuggling a person.

I don't believe the wall will make much of a dent in the drug smuggling. I never did. It will reduce the illegals coming across the border.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Would you rent out your vintage Ferrari for a couple hundred dollars because it doesn't make you any money sitting idle in the garage?

I wouldn't risk a tunnel that took months to set up and generates millions in order to make a few thousand on smuggling a person.

I don't believe the wall will make much of a dent in the drug smuggling. I never did. It will reduce the illegals coming across the border.

It will be nice if this reduction comes in a significant numbers.

The drug traffic in the tunnels is not like a jam packed US Highway. There must be down times when the tunnel sits empty - it's not like a 24/7 long lines of trucks loaded with drugs passing thru the tunnels - and in those free hours, you will get illegals use the tunnels to get in.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It will be nice if this reduction comes in a significant numbers.

The drug traffic in the tunnels is not like a jam packed US Highway. There must be down times when the tunnel sits empty - it's not like a 24/7 long lines of trucks loaded with drugs passing thru the tunnels - and in those free hours, you will get illegals use the tunnels to get in.
So, you would jeopardize a tunnel that would make you millions moving 175 pounds of cocaine in order to move a human that would make you $4000 on that same 175 pounds?

I don't think you'd make a very good drug smuggler.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The entire city of Boston is only 48 mi.². The US/Mexico border is roughly 2,000 miles. You guys really think the wall is only going to cost 14 billion?
If we don't have to pay for union labour or overtime. I'd bet that many Trump supporters would volunteer their time to help build the wall.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you would jeopardize a tunnel that would make you millions moving 175 pounds of cocaine in order to move a human that would make you $4000 on that same 175 pounds?

I don't think you'd make a very good drug smuggler.
I think I understand what you are saying - but question remains the same.

Let me ask you in a different way.

What is more important for Americans? Stop the illegal drug trade from Mexico or stop the illegal work seekers?

Old 01-27-2017, 03:48 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
The entire city of Boston is only 48 mi.². The US/Mexico border is roughly 2,000 miles. You guys really think the wall is only going to cost 14 billion?
I've lived in Boston my entire life. I audited many contractors during that time (I'm a CPA).

The corruption and stealing by contractors was huge during the Big Dig debacle. The Comm of Mass had an idea which is why they had contractors audited. The cost overruns were not just because of the project itself, but all of the skimming. Any huge construction project has that risk. Trump has business expertise so one would wonder if that would happen without him knowing about it. Regardless, even though it's "just a wall" and not a road through a city, I don't think anyone at this time has an idea, including Trump. Until there is a full fledged project budget on the table, addressing all of the potential logistical nightmares, identifying the contractors, funding - it's just anyone's guess right now.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I think I understand what you are saying - but question remains the same.

Let me ask you in a different way.

What is more important for Americans? Stop the illegal drug trade from Mexico or stop the illegal work seekers?
For me, it's more important that we don't allow millions of illegals coming here and utilizing billions of dollars a year in taxpayer resources than stopping some dude from getting strippers to come to his apartment to get all coked up.

We've spend how many hundreds of billions fighting the war on drugs and how has that war gone?

Old 01-27-2017, 03:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
I don't really care what it costs.

Trump can cut the $27 Billion given to the IPCC.

Quote:
Do you know how much of the US/Mexico border is private property?
Do you know about Eminent Domain?

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't really care what it costs.

Trump can cut the $27 Billion given to the IPCC.

Do you know about Eminent Domain?
I'm guessing that most ranchers won't have too much of an issue if the proper concessions are made.

First, make the fence area an easement.

Second, run pipes from the river to a tank on the ranch side and allocate a set amount paid each year for pipe and pump maintenance.

Third, give the ranchers a tax break.

Getting a stock tank which saves the danger of river bank climbs along with a tax break would probably make for some happy ranchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies