Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You really should educate yourself on how our government works.

Congress passes a law with a broad framework and goals. It leaves it up to an agency to pass regulations to achieve those goals. Every agency has regulations to carry out its mission.

Here's the code of federal regulations so you can read all of them yourself:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
I find nothing in there to challenge what I said.

The problem is found in your statement, "It leaves it up to an agency to pass regulations".
The EPA is not doing anything illegal.
The EPA is doing something that is self serving. It is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
It leaves it up to an agency to pass regulations to achieve those goals.

That structure is one of the most retarded ideas I've heard. How do federal agency officials that pass regulations outlive elected officials' tenure? No wonder they're getting gutted.

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Or maybe he can fire the EPA employees who oversaw totally worthless expenditures, like handing $8,031,829 to the Natl Asian Pacific Center on Aging.

Because, you know, that really helped the environment, right?

Wake up.
sounds interesting. what's the story there?

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Well, if Trump wants his infrastructure plans carried out, he'll need all those guys who are facing lay-off to come back to work pretty soon.

Once an aging nuclear power blows its top, Trump will wish he hadn't messed with the EPA. They are one of the agencies that are keeping the lids safely on those kettles, along with a lot of our other most critical industries.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
To hell with safe drinking water standards and enforcement, nuclear waste water disposal regulations, stopping toxic waste dumping, safe working environments, and clean air. Who needs it?
Good point - the EPA did such a wonderful job with the Flint, MI water poisoning and the Gold Mine disaster (that they deliberately caused) in Colorado.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:04 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That structure is one of the most retarded ideas I've heard. How do federal agency officials that pass regulations outlive elected officials' tenure? No wonder they're getting gutted.
So you're saying all laws should only last as long as their authors are in office? That's an unusual stance. What's in place now has worked for over 200 years...

Old 01-27-2017, 03:06 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's hope it's not quite a change for air & water quality among other things.
I don't see much changing, unless he reverses some of the regulations they had passed.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Well, if Trump wants his infrastructure plans carried out, he'll need all those guys who are facing lay-off to come back to work pretty soon.

Once an aging nuclear power blows its top, Trump will wish he hadn't messed with the EPA. They are one of the agencies that are keeping the lids safely on those kettles, along with a lot of our other most critical industries.
Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management handles nuclear issues.
https://energy.gov/em/office-environmental-management

Nothing unusual about your statement, however. Most people make that mistake.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
So you're saying all laws should only last as long as their authors are in office? That's an unusual stance. What's in place now has worked for over 200 years...
I am saying that federal officials who pass regulations are not beholden to voters, thus their tenure usually outlives the Congresscritters' terms who passed the initial law in the first place.

That idea is the retarded one.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Good point - the EPA did such a wonderful job with the Flint, MI water poisoning and the Gold Mine disaster (that they deliberately caused) in Colorado.

Okay that comment on the CO mine spill is as absurd and idiotic as I've heard yet. The only people who deliberately polluted that water are the miners who dumped the chemicals there and did not even properly seal them off. A private contractor hired by the EPA was investigating how to properly seal up and clean up that mess when the seal was lost. That all falls on the miners who raped the land and ran when it came time to clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies