Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

Republicans have painted themselves into a corner with the ACA. It very much reflects what (they say)?they've wanted all these years...a national health plan that goes through insurance companies. They won't go the single-payer/Medicare-for-all route, because that would make them liberals, so other than some small changes or complete abolition (the latter which would cost them elections), they're stuck with the "Obamacare" structure they campaigned against all this time.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 AM

203 posts, read 246,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The republicans had 6 years to make it better and work with the democrats to improve the ACA, but all they did was vote to repeal. They could have modified the bill, passed amendments but all they wanted to do was repeal. It's embarrassing that after all this time they still have nothing, all Trump did was pass an XO. We will see what they have in the coming months but right now they can't agree on anything except repeal.
Would you oppose Lobbyist in this field creating the bill since Congress tend to relies on special interest to produce legislation that they present as a bill? I glanced at all posts but saw nothing along this line.

If it's hard to understand what I mean, allow me to present this article from 2015 (kinda long) and then maybe you can present your view? I look for those who can converse beyond propaganda or seem to have an understanding of the way power works. If it appears partisan please try to ignore this for the purpose of discussion... whether Congress has become too reliant on receiving answers from special interests...

Why Congress Relies on Lobbyists Instead of Thinking for Itself

Quote:
Its lack of long-term expertise forces legislators to rely on special interests, or defer to bureaucrats, instead of making independent decisions.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...byists/387295/

Quote:
Everyone wants to talk to you and your staff. How will you manage these demands? If you want to accomplish anything, you will need outside help to draft and vet policy proposals.

You will also need the support of the rank-and-file members of your committee. How will you get this? Your staff is just not big enough. You will need external help. You will need to lean on either the lobbying machine of big business or the research machine of ideologically motivated or industry-funded think tanks.
There are consequences such as...

Quote:
Because all of your committee members have turned to outside support to develop their policy positions and proposals, you as committee chair will have less influence over them. This means that you will get a more limited set of bills and proposals out of committee. If you propose anything that goes against the preferences of big business or the ideologically mobilized, these actors will lobby the heck out of your committee members. They will deluge you with claims of the dire consequences of actions they dislike, or claim that substantial, complex measures are needed to avoid disastrous consequences.
Quote:
If you are in the party leadership, you are mostly in the position of choosing among the policies passed through committees. By the time you are choosing what to prioritize, the field of possible proposals is mostly limited to those that individual members and committee chairs were able to move forward—which means, essentially, those with enough outside support. From leadership’s perspectives, the more external support, the better.
So you see why I'm looking forward to conversing on such a level. It is easy to be critical or simplify the argument why this or that regrading the political parties. But to take the time to understand the steps that must be considered in this age, to get anything legislated, I think indulging in partisan politics only serve as a negative barrier toward accomplishing a positive for the nation's people.

Last edited by Something Needs To Change; 01-28-2017 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: had to leave before but have time to add additional quote.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:48 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Needs To Change View Post
Would you oppose Lobbyist in this field creating the bill since Congress tend to relies on special interest to produce legislation that they present as a bill? I glanced at all posts but saw nothing along this line.

If it's hard to understand what I mean, allow me to present this article from 2015 (kinda long) and then maybe you can present your view? I look for those who can converse beyond propaganda or seem to have an understanding of the way power works. If it appears partisan please try to ignore this for the purpose of discussion... whether Congress has become too reliant on receiving answers from special interests...

So you see why I'm looking forward to conversing on such a level. It is easy to be critical or simplify the argument why this or that regrading the political parties. But to take the time to understand the steps that must be considered in this age, to get anything legislated, I think indulging in partisan politics only serve as a negative barrier toward accomplishing a positive for the nation's people.
You are very right in the perspective...

Quote:
to take the time to understand the steps that must be considered in this age, to get anything legislated, I think indulging in partisan politics only serve as a negative barrier toward accomplishing a positive for the nation's people
This is exactly what's I've presented locally regarding the City Council. I proposed the creation of a staff and funding. Things must start on the localized level and even more so today considering the nature of what exist in the upper levels of governance.

Example: One council person over a district and the district is comprised of say, 10 labeled communities, each community has an Neighborhood Association, and within that mix, there are the economic levels within these communities that can and often do influence the Association, based on who has the resources to do so, and collect the members to support their premise and agenda. Then when it comes to the Council Member as an individual, the mess becomes maddening, because they can't digest the input from so many communities, nor do they have staff or means to sift through such. Often members are elected that have no historical background nor do they have means and teams that deal with such acquisition of information. Over time, the district become more compartmentalized as to communities within it, based on interest of resource holder, and the other communities often began to fall, or acts or actions engaged that change the character of those communities for the benefit of the community with the higher resources. Thus so, the District is then out of hand and has wavered from the initial aim of what is a District Council Person.

Society is so vastly uninformed, until they pander to the suit, and the status titles, as we see across cities of America, the continual decline, followed by decaying, which then meet gentrification, and within a generation a community can become transformed to be unrecognizable from what it originally exist to be.

Now we see that across America, as much on the local level, as well on the State Level, by the time it is of matters at the Federal Level, a transformation gets sanctioned with the general population never knowing what happen. They often by into the loudest mouth and the most commercials in the media, all "bashing something". Never discussing the relevant issues that involve the common citizenry beyond what they have been manipulated to turn their focus unto. They do so, unsuspecting how drama has blinded them, and while they get caught up in the spin. They awaken to find the landscape has been changed and function has been re-arranged and what we get then is a society become and bouncing entity from one "transient community to another "transient community". Home ownership falls, renter and leases become the common element when society become "transient". Stable communities become affordable to the average citizen.

"that's just one perspective of view, and example to grasp caption of the resulting impact of what you are discussing in the category of communities", this is not even discussing the nature and span of what comes in the arena of regulations, or is taken away as to what is regulations.

As to ACA... whatever they do, it will be an amendment, the core things either remain of there is hell to pay by republicans to a mass of society. They are spinning in their seats right now, waiting on big industry to tell them what to do, and how big industry wants it done. The mass of their (Republican) constituency does not have a clue of what is taking place.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Needs To Change View Post

Lobbyists do in many cases have more knowledge than staff, some of the staffs ask them for input but it has gone too far. They actually have them writing the legislation that they are passing and with the explosion of money it has generated more corruption. I didn't vote for my representative to roll over for lobbyists. There was a good PBS special on this, I will see if I can find it.

Look up Jack Abramoff and the book he wrote about his activities if you want an eye opener.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Correction to Post #33

Quote:
Home ownership falls, renter and leases become the common element when communities become "transient".
Stable communities of "homeowner occupancy" become UN-affordable to the average citizen, whom is then caught in the cycle of transient community hopping, result communities loose the stability factors.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:05 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Note from the WAPO reporter:

Interesting bits of concern and public sentiment in prep for 2018.

Full read here.
Well delighted to see them floundering now that they finally caught the car..

Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sorry, Republicans aren't going to do it half ass like Obama and Democrats did. If Democrats would have done a decent job people wouldn't be demanding it's repeal.
But they are NOT demanding it be repealed let me help you, even with years of propaganda , never ending attacks, lies , misrepresentations , governors of red states actively trying to break it.

even with that...

here is a few links to help you understand exactly why your post is completely wrong, incorrect, or if you prefer an outright lie.

Poll: How do Americans feel about Obamacare and Planned Parenthood? - CSMonitor.com

CNN Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Support Obamacare Repeal - Guy Benson

Kaiser Family Foundation - Health Policy Research, Analysis, Polling, Facts, Data and Journalism

Most doctors oppose total Obamacare repeal, survey finds | Hub

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law

Most Americans don't want Obama's signature health care law repealed, poll finds | McClatchy DC

Republicans propose giving U.S. states option to keep Obamacare | Reuters

Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually all they have to do is come up with a plan that all the Republicans will agree upon and then blame the Democrats if 8 Democrats do not cross party lines in the Senate for its failure.
That would work only if americans hadn't seen what? 50? previous attempts to repeal the ACA?

I hate to break it to you, but the voters are indeed going to notice that after years of pontificating and bloviating, the Rs have zilch. They're not gonna blame the Ds for this.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
They can't make a better plan than Obamacare. Not that Obamacare is great. It's not. It's just that healthcare has become too expensive for middle or, even upper middle Americans, to afford without great pain. You can move the furniture around but its still the same living room.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:32 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The republicans had 6 years to make it better and work with the democrats to improve the ACA, but all they did was vote to repeal. They could have modified the bill, passed amendments but all they wanted to do was repeal. It's embarrassing that after all this time they still have nothing, all Trump did was pass an XO. We will see what they have in the coming months but right now they can't agree on anything except repeal.
Please link to the bills Democrats sponsored to fix the ACA. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies