U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,653 posts, read 6,948,128 times
Reputation: 13928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Actually what the WH said is consideration will be given to those in these countries who are distinct minorities in conflict with government backed religions in the same nation.


In doing so, no specific religion is identified, as it would be a nation by nation thing, but those in the majority are not considered for immigrating here, as they are not in danger from the authorities.

Thanks for the information. It makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 PM
 
20,305 posts, read 9,805,018 times
Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
... when the ONLY refugees brought here by Obama were Muslim. Never a Christian.
that's false.

for a breakdown of all refugees by religion see:

U.S. admits record number of Muslim refugees in 2016 | Pew Research Center

for a breakdown of syrian refugees see:

Why Are There Only 53 Christians Among America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,507 posts, read 9,593,619 times
Reputation: 12019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post

Names can sometimes help you, but then I've met Arab Christians who had Muslim names (one was named after the doctor who delivered him after a difficult birth), and Muslims with Christian names. I wouldn't say it is terribly common, but it isn't unheard of, either.
Yeah, you mean to tell me you are looking at Haider Sameer Abdulkaleq Alshawi and wondering what religion he has? Get real. Names will sort out 95%. Then you can spend your resources on the other 5% who MAY have Islamic names. Don't pretend it is a 50/50 proposition. This is not TSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:45 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 762,985 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, you mean to tell me you are looking at Haider Sameer Abdulkaleq Alshawi and wondering what religion he has? Get real. Names will sort out 95%. Then you can spend your resources on the other 5% who MAY have Islamic names. Don't pretend it is a 50/50 proposition. This is not TSA.
Names won't help. Remember we share the same prophetic names with Christians and Jews. Also Christian Arabs often times take what would be considered "Muslim" names.

I knew many Christians with the names Ahmad, Mahmud and Mustafa...all synonyms for Muhammad. And coincidentally per your example knew a Syrian Christian named Haider...he actually lives and works in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,256 posts, read 690,253 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, you mean to tell me you are looking at Haider Sameer Abdulkaleq Alshawi and wondering what religion he has? Get real. Names will sort out 95%. Then you can spend your resources on the other 5% who MAY have Islamic names. Don't pretend it is a 50/50 proposition. This is not TSA.
The name you chose is that of an Iraqi who is currently detained in the US for simply trying to legally enter the country after being fully vetted and approved by our country as a refugee. His wife is already living here, and was granted status here as a result of work she did for our military. His detention is nothing but shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,256 posts, read 690,253 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Names won't help. Remember we share the same prophetic names with Christians and Jews. Also Christian Arabs often times take what would be considered "Muslim" names.

I knew many Christians with the names Ahmad, Mahmud and Mustafa...all synonyms for Muhammad. And coincidentally per your example knew a Syrian Christian named Haider...he actually lives and works in Texas.
Exactly this. HappyRider, don't pretend you'd know the difference between an Arab Christian name and an Arab Muslim name. You wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,494 posts, read 54,099,499 times
Reputation: 65549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, makes you wonder why only Muslim Syrian refugees were resettled here under Obama?
What good does it serve to keep making up this sort of stupid stuff. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,494 posts, read 54,099,499 times
Reputation: 65549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Exactly this. HappyRider, don't pretend you'd know the difference between an Arab Christian name and an Arab Muslim name. You wouldn't.
I have a Syrian Jewish coworker. You wouldn't know what his religion was by his name, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
3,210 posts, read 1,283,428 times
Reputation: 6512
Arab Muslims and their governments seem to have no difficulty sorting out who the Muslims and non-Muslims are when they want to target the latter for special harassment and persecution. I'm guessing our intelligence agencies can figure it out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,256 posts, read 690,253 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Arab Muslims and their governments seem to have no difficulty sorting out who the Muslims and non-Muslims are when they want to target the latter for special harassment and persecution. I'm guessing our intelligence agencies can figure it out too.
I'm sure we can, and I doubt most refugees have been trying to pass themselves off as something they are not, anyway. Here's the question, though. Why do we want to do this? We profess to be a country that was founded on the principle of religious freedom. We can't claim to be withholding that principle while simultaneously denying people entry based on thei religious affiliation. How did we get to a point where so many people think this is ok?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top