U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM

55,590 posts, read 54,202,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm sure we can, and I doubt most refugees have been trying to pass themselves off as something they are not, anyway. Here's the question, though. Why do we want to do this? We profess to be a country that was founded on the principle of religious freedom. We can't claim to be withholding that principle while simultaneously denying people entry based on thei religious affiliation. How did we get to a point where so many people think this is ok?!?
Good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,297,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm sure we can, and I doubt most refugees have been trying to pass themselves off as something they are not, anyway. Here's the question, though. Why do we want to do this? We profess to be a country that was founded on the principle of religious freedom. We can't claim to be withholding that principle while simultaneously denying people entry based on thei religious affiliation. How did we get to a point where so many people think this is ok?!?
There's a practical secular reason for favoring Christians and non-Muslim minority refugee seekers over Muslim refugee seekers that has already been explained several times in this thread already, so I don't feel like belaboring it any further.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM

9,016 posts, read 2,945,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
about an equal number of muslim and christian refugees were admitted to the US in 2016 ( 38,901 muslim, 37,521 christian ):

U.S. admits record number of Muslim refugees in 2016 | Pew Research Center
That little detail does take a wrecking ball to the uninformed attempt to disparage Obama.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 549,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Really? In a region that is mostly Muslim. Muslims have been primarely killing their own for 1400 years, starting with their murdering founder, Mohammad pbuh Its what they do: Iran/Iraq war, Saudi/Yemen, Iraq/Kuwait, Jordan/Palestinians. They have already proven that they can't get along with their own, it should come as no surprise that they cause problems where ever they go.
I don't post this to bash Muslims. In fact I enjoyed my short visits to the prosperous and civilized UAE city-states populated by Muslims and run under Islamic law. If I could afford to do so I would likely live in Islamic, absolute monarchist, Qatar over the USA. But more likely I would pick some place like secular Amsterdam.

Secular USA is exceedingly more violent and barbaric than either of those two places.

But that said... your post made me think of these two videos I just watched yesterday and today. And at least one of them (the first one) touches on how the Arab Islamic past has rolled on right into the 20th century. Be it as it may it is now the 21st century. But if the claim in the video is correct then the upheavals, government violence, is not something novel in the Islamic Arab world. And comparing their constant violent conflicts to contemporary Christianity is not tenable. As the person speaking in the video says... democratic origins in the West goes back to the Christian Middle Ages, even to the Crusader kingdoms in the Holy Land.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXiX8DALPZ8
Amin Maalouf on Saracen vs. Crusader Government

Real Crusades History 13,850 views

At approximately the 6:00 minute mark of the video below he reads from a first hand Syrian Muslim account about Crusader rulers, and a more democratic style of decision making, in the Holy Land kingdoms they ran.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMCBe9p35Sc
Monarchy in the High Middle Ages vs Monarchy in the Late Middle Ages / Early Modern Era

Real Crusades History 7,366 views

That said... I have read a first hand Muslim account of a Muslim living in the Holy Land under Crusader rule who became good friends with one Crusader. And certainly in terms of medicine and endurance of pain the Crusaders were barbarians. LOL. These dudes would make everyone in the West including Navy SEALs look like wusses today. Forget healing your leg with ointment and medicine from the Navy Corpsman or civilian doctor. No, these dudes would chop your leg off. And if one blade was dull on the first strike, another Crusader would step forward to cut his fellow Crusader Knights leg off. That could go through 3 or 4 different strikes with 3 or 4 different Crusaders if their blades were too dull.

But apparently, which I did not know until this video, some of the Muslims could be barbaric too by Western standards. Eating men's flesh, canninbalism, for mere ritual of obtaining the strong man's "strength."

So, makes you think about ISIS.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLJsP-LWxM
Cannibalism and the Crusades

Real Crusades History 40,524 views

A lot of the West's, secular Americans, atheists, liberal Christians anti-Christian rhetoric about Muslims comes from the anti-Christian depiction of Christians during the Middle Ages looking like ISIS. Arguably, some did. Particularly in the colonization of the Americas, Asia, and Africa. But they often depict Muslims as being the peaceful and gentle people on earth that never had touched in harm a hair on a person's head until roughly 9-11 in the USA. But this is not historically accurate.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,345,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
about an equal number of muslim and christian refugees were admitted to the US in 2016 ( 38,901 muslim, 37,521 christian ):

U.S. admits record number of Muslim refugees in 2016 | Pew Research Center

Per your link, 99% of Syrian refugees admitted to the US were Muslim. Only 1% were Christian. Thank you for proving OP.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,345,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That little detail does take a wrecking ball to the uninformed attempt to disparage Obama.
Evidently, you did not bother to read the link where it stated 99% of Syrian refugees admitted to the US in 2016 were Muslim.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM

20,315 posts, read 9,826,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Per your link, 99% of Syrian refugees admitted to the US were Muslim. Only 1% were Christian. Thank you for proving OP.
for a breakdown of syrian refugees see:

Why Are There Only 53 Christians Among America

Old 01-28-2017, 09:32 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,099,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
ISIS has murdered more Muslims than anyone else.

As an aside, it does not strike me as very Christ- like to cherry pick. Maybe this is why Christian religious orgs are the conduits between federal and state governments and the refugees.
Because there are about 9 times more Muslims than Christians. It's implement statistics. If you have a civil war in a place that is 90% Muslim, there will be a lot more dead Muslims. But that doesn't mean that they are dying at the same per capital rate.

I personally don't want our government making decisions based on religious teachings. I want decisions made on what is best for Americans. Letting in Muslims does not benefit Americans in any way.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,267,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a Syrian Jewish coworker. You wouldn't know what his religion was by his name, either.
But the Arab Muslim Syrians could tell me was Jewish I'm sure.

Remember how Syria expelled its entire Jewish population after the formation of Israel, even though the Syrian Jews weren't even responsible for the Zionist movement the Arabs hate so much. The fact is, the Syrian Jews were never seen as true Syrians and they were expelled based on what the State of Israel, a foreign nation, did.

The Chaldeans, Kurds, and Yazidis also aren't seen as true Syrians either.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,675,210 times
The Executive Order doesn't prioritize only Christians and Jews, but also Islamic oppressed minority groups such as Kurds and Yazidis. These are the groups truly facing oppression and persecution in ME nations.

Liberals seem to love oppressed people, except when they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies