U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 PM

8,063 posts, read 3,887,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
umm, you do understand that trump lacks the power to "confiscate" and furthermore any attack on a state is an attack on all states, while a few states might sit back and laugh, the majority would rally to defend.

I would love to see Trump Try to take on the mighty and wealthy Blue states. We control the ports you fool. Tell me how popular Trump would be when imports and exports are going nowhere because the city decides that without funding we can't process anything.

please I would absolutely love to know, do you think he can "bully and threaten" Americans into bend the knee just because his and your egos deem it so?

California has been disregarding basic immigration laws and Federal mandates. Why are so surprise this day has come forward. The Feds controls the ports and millions of dollars flow thru those ports. The ideal of LA controlling Port of Los Angles or Ling Beach is a crazy idea.

People are fleeing CA because they can live their safely and afford to own a home!

Old 01-29-2017, 01:10 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He found out that indeed the courts are going to step in and have their say. He doesn't seem too big on that idea.
So, one judge issued a partial stay until Monday where I'd bet either he'll lift it or be overruled. So what?

Old 01-29-2017, 04:31 PM

31,081 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Recap: States are not required to enforce federal law:"

"Recap" The federal govt is NOT REQUIRED to give states 1 single dime!
"Recap" Feds can only withhold federal funds under very limited conditions:

South Dakota V. Dole: in a 7-2 decision SCOTUS ruled that the law was within constitutional grounds in that it met the test that limitations to federal spending must be in the pursuit of "the general welfare" and that the conditions must also be unambiguous, related to the project or program and not lead to unconstitutional actions and not be coercive.

Independent business v Sebelius 2012 The court held that the federal govt could not compel states to expand medicaid by threatening to withhold funding for medicaid programs already in place. Justice Roberts argued that allowing Congress to punish states that refused to go along violates constitutional separation of powers

Old 01-29-2017, 04:57 PM

79,162 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, one judge issued a partial stay until Monday where I'd bet either he'll lift it or be overruled. So what?
So what is the fact that like with Obama the courts aren't going to allow Trump to do just whatever he wants to do.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,644,786 times
I hope California does this. Red states will be in deep trouble since California largely funds them.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,022,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I hope California does this. Red states will be in deep trouble since California largely funds them.
Not really. No State is fully paying its way let alone paying for others. The Feds spend a trillion dollars more than they take in year after year. Roughly speaking 100 billion of that each year is money flowing to CA in excess of taxes collected from there.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:49 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You don't speak for the rest of Californians.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 PM

31,081 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Not really. No State is fully paying its way let alone paying for others. The Feds spend a trillion dollars more than they take in year after year. Roughly speaking 100 billion of that each year is money flowing to CA in excess of taxes collected from there.
California gets back about 78 cents for every dollar it sends to the federal government. Mississippi receives $2.34 in Federal funds for every dollar it sends to the feds.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:25 AM

36,928 posts, read 16,106,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This idea a couple people have that federal money can't be suspended and even taken back is just ludicrous.

An example:
My (former) school system was found to be noncompliant in its Head Start program about a year ago. It was given three months to become compliant and institute procedures to remain so.

The three months passed and it was found to be still noncompliant and was given another two months to ameliorate.

Whether due to refusal or incompetence (and knowing the people put in charge of fixing the program it was probably the latter. Most of them reached their levels of competence 3 or 4 promotions ago) the program was still out of compliance and the federal money was stopped that day with a demand for repayment of all funds received in FY 16 for Head Start.

And here's the kicker for federal grants, screw one up and all the ones you get are at risk. At a minimum they all face increased scrutiny.
I worked in federal contracts.

There are ALL SORTS of ways the fed can cancel a contract.

ALL of ours had a clause stating that "the govt could cancel this contact at ANY time for the good of the govt.

All of our contracts required that the provisions of the contract had to be completed in full before 1 penny would be paid.

It can take a LONG time before all provisions can be substantiated.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 AM

36,928 posts, read 16,106,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"Recap" Feds can only withhold federal funds under very limited conditions:

South Dakota V. Dole: in a 7-2 decision SCOTUS ruled that the law was within constitutional grounds in that it met the test that limitations to federal spending must be in the pursuit of "the general welfare" and that the conditions must also be unambiguous, related to the project or program and not lead to unconstitutional actions and not be coercive.

Independent business v Sebelius 2012 The court held that the federal govt could not compel states to expand medicaid by threatening to withhold funding for medicaid programs already in place. Justice Roberts argued that allowing Congress to punish states that refused to go along violates constitutional separation of powers
""Recap" Feds can only withhold federal funds under very limited conditions:"

Did you ever work for the fed govt in any capacity that handled programs a money?

I DID. There are all sorts of legal ways to "withhold fed money"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or