Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Non-citizens who are in US don't have the right to vote, but other than that they are protected under the Constitution. The Constitution speaks of "people", not "citizens".

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Compared to this:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

Diplomats are the rare exception.
Just as Diplomats are the rate exception, so are the other non-citizens! At any time, their visas, greencards, and refugee status can be revoked and they are subject to detention and deportation.

It's just a fact. At any time, the law affecting the aforementioned non-citizen statuses can change at any time (unlike citizenship afforded by the Constitution). I dont know what else to say. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:08 AM

88,978 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
THIS, OMG, THIS!

Despite what senators say - who apparently know NOTHING of the constitution - non citizens have ZERO rights afforded to them under the constitution.

Just like no one understanding the electoral college, this is yet another symptom of a terrible public education system. I'm starting to think the democrats depend on the ignorance of the average american so they can stand up in a public place with a megaphone and make absolute FALSE claims.
I've frequently thought the same. The dumbing down of Americans in public schools was deliberate; a ploy for political power.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Just as Diplomats are the rate exception, so are the other non-citizens! At any time, their visas, greencards, and refugee status can be revoked and they are subject to detention and deportation.

It's just a fact. At any time, the law affecting the aforementioned non-citizen statuses can change at any time (unlike citizenship afforded by the Constitution). I dont know what else to say. . .
LAW is probably the key word there.

And it seems like you admit the truth - that people here have rights. Until they are not here.

So we agree.

Now, ask Congress to make some laws and let us know the names and numbers of them so we can look them up.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Others had it right, you have it wrong. They do not have rights under the Constitution while not here but they most certainly do when here.
The issue at hand is foreign citizens who have not been permitted entry/re-entry to the US. They have no Constitutional rights. Period.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
LAW is probably the key word there.

And it seems like you admit the truth - that people here have rights. Until they are not here.

So we agree.

Now, ask Congress to make some laws and let us know the names and numbers of them so we can look them up.
the laws pertaining to green cards, visas, and refugees are already on the books. You can use google just as well, if not better, than I can so feel free to look them up.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The issue at hand is foreign citizens who have not been permitted entry/re-entry to the US. They have no Constitutional rights. Period.
I didn't say any difference. I'm starting to notice a pattern.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't say any difference. I'm starting to notice a pattern.
I think we might be confusing YOUR argument with the overall argument. This thread is about banning immigrants and refugees. And what I and others are saying is that yes, you can ban them as they are not protected by the constitution.

where it got grey is when we were talking about those already here who have some basic rights afforded to them through the constitution but can be revoked through changes in their legal status.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,831,505 times
IF they had enacted a ban on Muslim immigrants that WOULD be unconstitutional.

That is why that is NOT what they did, they enacted a ban on immigrants from certain nations which is NOT unconstitutional - and the reason they did it that way is they KNEW that if they enacted a ban on a specific religion it would have been struck down in court.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Non-citizens who are in US don't have the right to vote, but other than that they are protected under the Constitution. The Constitution speaks of "people", not "citizens".
Again, the issue at hand is non-citizens who are NOT in the US. They're abroad. As such, they have no Constitutional rights.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Just as Diplomats are the rate exception, so are the other non-citizens! At any time, their visas, greencards, and refugee status can be revoked and they are subject to detention and deportation. It's just a fact. At any time, the law affecting the aforementioned non-citizen statuses can change at any time (unlike citizenship afforded by the Constitution). I dont know what else to say. . .
I think the problem is that you do not understand what "protected by the Constitution" or "due process" means.

They are protected by the Constitution, it does not mean they are immune from the courts. No one is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies