U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That is not correct - Visa processing/issuance to the USA has been suspended for 90 days to access the system - the order also allows for the Director of Homeland Security & the Secretary of State (if we ever get a Secretary of State ) to review cases and allow the VISA.
None of that has anything t to do with "immigration". It is about Travel from those 7 countries.
You're telling me things I already know but didn't say and instead more quickly summed up. It's 90 days for travel, 120 days for refugees. I knew this... thanks. I have said it in detail before multiple times throughout many threads and am not going to keep saying it for those who actually don't get it. People should be smart enough to go figure it out themselves instead of believing everything they read and hear through the media. The gist is that this is 1. not permanent and 2. not a "Muslim ban." These are the 2 most important things to get out of the whole thing that people out there seem to be wrong about and the media seems to be intentionally confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM

11,037 posts, read 4,840,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Please keep subtly insulting me, it totally makes me want to converse with you.
Insulting you? Nope...just pointing out the obvious.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Insulting you? Nope...just pointing out the obvious.
What obvious?

Telling someone they're ignorant or don't know things is a crappy way to deal with a fundamental disagreement. You have no idea about my education level, what I have studied, what I do, and what I know.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,189,166 times
Quote:

Good call. A guy was stopped for trying to import weapons into the country without a permit.

Somehow seems to miss the point - a US citizen, not otherwise doing anything illegal at the border..., can't be denied entry.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
What obvious?
Go back and re-read...it should be clearly obvious to you.
Quote:
Telling someone they're ignorant or don't know things is a crappy way to deal with a fundamental disagreement.
Show me where I called you ignorant.
Quote:
You have no idea about my education level, what I have studied, what I do, and what I know.
I addressed what you posted...your level of education is irrelevant.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,189,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is the double standard that conservatives excuse. I attack both conservatives and liberals. I have to be fair about this because conservatives conveniently ignore how Trump did nothing to Saudia Arabia and Pakistan due to U.S. interests. Saudi in particularly is arguable the worst offender out there and yet nothing was done to ban their citizens from entering the country.

I know, its almost as funny as liberals marching to support people who are only defined as Muslims (not a genetic-determined state like gender, sexuality, race) for voluntarily being part of a sexist homophobic ideology which has special financial penalties for nonbelievers and punishments for apostates. Just call your ideology a religion and then you can believe any god-awful thing and discriminate without worry in liberal world. Is there anyone who can save us from the liberals and the republicans and their double-ended hypocrisy?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It was not intended to.
Oh well? That's a very poor attitude for blatant oppression based upon a poorly executed unconstitutional "plan".
I certainly believe that...you don't appear to be very knowledgeable about those countries or people who wish to travel to them.

The US can indeed turn away US citizens at our boarders.

Boo hoo for you in that you are displaying much ignorance. As a permanent resident (green card holder), you have the right to: Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law. Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.

Green Card Holders have Rights to be here legally. Rights and Responsibilities of a Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Most Americans with your attitude rarely have their facts straight.
Quote:
Go back and re-read...it should be clearly obvious to you.
Show me where I called you ignorant.
I addressed what you posted...your level of education is irrelevant.
My education level and what I have studied absolutely has to do with it - but you don't know that because again, you don't know what I studied and what I do. Telling me what you told me bolded above, well... (Trump voice) wrong.

I have stated my thoughts on this multiple times throughout the past couple days. I don't wish to keep going because it's useless to argue when the people arguing will never agree. What it comes down to is, though this is not an ideal EO and turn of events, I don't have much of a problem with it (probably because I actually understand what's happening while many others out there seem to not... like the media who is saying "Muslim ban" causing people to freak the hell out and storm the airports in protest). Some OTOH are completely outraged. Me not being outraged doesn't make me anything but... not outraged.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 997,364 times
Let's see - an USCIS link was provided explaining the rights and responsibilities of legal permanent residents, and you know it is not a difficult read. So in a normal and logical world I would think at least that part of the argument should be settled but apparently this thread continues...

Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM

203 posts, read 206,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The Refugee Immigration program is Suspended for 120 days for a review of process. The Obama Administration famously said that the vetting took 18 months at minimum - none of the press has bothered to ask why if it takes a minimum of 18 months - these Syrian Refugees were being "cleared" & passing "vetting" in as little as 30 days.
30 days? Source please because I cannot confirm this. What I did find was...

Quote:
The entire purpose of the Obama administration’s 2011 review was to enhance the already stringent vetting to which refugees and SIV applicants were subjected. While many of the details are classified, those rigorous procedures, which lead to waiting times of 18-24 months for many Iraqi and Syrian refugees, remain in place today and are continually reviewed by interagency officials. The Trump administration is, therefore, taking on a problem that has already been (and is continually being) addressed.
Obama’s “seven countries” taken out of context:

Quote:
soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations.
Sorry, Mr. President: The Obama Administration Did Nothing Similar to Your Immigration Ban

Sorry, Mr. President: The Obama Administration Did Nothing Similar to Your Immigration Ban | Foreign Policy

Trump’s Faulty Refugee Policy Comparison

Trump’s Faulty Refugee Policy Comparison
(may include information from alt-right - left sites. I do not censor information from propaganda sites.)

Republicans Who Have Criticized President Trump’s Immigration Ban

Donald Trump's Immigration Ban: Here Are the Republicans Against It | Fortune.com

Quote:
At least 20 Republicans have spoken out against President Donald Trump's executive order that bans immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries.

The order, which prohibits citizens from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya from entering the United States for at least 90 days, also bans refugees from Syria indefinitely — a move that critics say make those in support "complicit in a humanitarian crisis," the Washington Post reports. The order also bans refugees from anywhere in the world for 120 days, and gives priority admission to Christians.
I only add this noticing no-one had listed it and went in search to answering my own questions. It includes both House and Senate members. I am not challenging or attempting to debate your stance. Only seeking to confirm your 30 days statement.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My education level and what I have studied absolutely has to do with it - but you don't know that because again, you don't know what I studied and what I do.
It's completely irrelevant to the statements you made that I responded to.
Quote:
Telling me what you told me bolded above, well... (Trump voice) wrong.
You have to do better than the "Wrong with a Trump voice".

Tell me why it's wrong. Just blurting out it's wrong says nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or