U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:03 PM

32,310 posts, read 59,622,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
As soon as Trump got elected liberals said "he's going to get impeached"

Over what?
He's a serial liar who cannot comprehend simple phrases such as "First Amendment", "obstruction of justice", and "conflict of interest".

Something will come along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 PM

10,480 posts, read 6,178,291 times
I have not heard of any responsible person, liberal or otherwise, call for President Trump's 'impeachment'.

I will note that in my 'status' I had posed the question (on the 20th) when would the first impeachment thread be started? Answer, as per my status, was the 23rd, or three days after inauguration.

Yet, it was not really a thread started by a liberal calling for impeachment, but a thread just like this speculating that liberals wanted to impeach President Trump. Yet, it concerned impeachment, so I counted it.

Anyway, articles of impeachment have not, to my knowledge, been introduced by any House member (i.e., a responsible party). I do not see where the President has engaged in 'high crimes or misdemeanors', if I recall the language correctly. There are those that, obviously, dislike some of his executive orders and statements, but such does not, to any rational person, constitute a basis for impeachment.

For those CD conservatives that will keep starting such threads, I say, be patient. Some responsible party will, someday, introduce articles of impeachment.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:14 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,522,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"He's in violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution."

NO, he is not.
Saying NO doesn't make it so.

See: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...ts-clause1.pdf

Here are two of the many examples given:
Since Mr.Trumpís election, long-delayed Trump projects have suddenly jump-started around the world, including in Argentina and Georgia. This may be especially noteworthy in light of Mr. Trumpís acknowledgment that he has raised business issues on calls with foreign officials.

Mere weeks before Mr. Trump spoke by phone with the President of Taiwan, dramatically altering American foreign policy, a businesswoman claiming to be associated with Mr. Trumpís conglomerate arrived in Taiwan and made inquiries about major new investments in luxury hotels.
See also: Emolument legal definition of emolument

The profit arising from office, employment, or labor; that which is received as a compensation for services, or which is annexed to the possession of office as salary, fees, and perquisites. Any perquisite, advantage, profit, or gain arising from the possession of an office.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:16 PM

6,533 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Quote:

Over what? It seems almost as if they think he should be impeached simple because they didn't vote for him .
As if there is going to be another election this year or next year or something where this time "their voice will be heard"

I guess it just shows how hysterical they are and not based in reality .

Now, it doesn't show how "hysterical" we are. It shows how poorly informed you are.

There are already multiple articles out about grounds for impeachment.

The Evidence to Impeach Donald Trump May Already Be Here | Vanity Fair

Here

Old 01-28-2017, 02:18 PM

18,670 posts, read 7,257,655 times
Quote:

same as always

Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,860,573 times
Quote:
It seems almost as if they think he should be impeached simple because they didn't vote for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
"Impeach Trump" = We lost, we are losers, and we don't know what else to say.
[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_Barack_Obama"]Efforts to impeach Barack Obama[/URL]

[URL="https://newrepublic.com/article/78198/republicans-impeach-obama"]The coming impeachment of Barack Hussein Obama[/URL]

[URL="http://mediamatters.org/research/2011/03/30/right-wing-media-ready-to-impeach-obama-again/178155"]Right-Wing Media Ready To Impeach Obama, Again[/URL]

[URL="http://www.pledgetoimpeach.com/"]IMPEACH! Stop Obama!—let’s do our part[/URL]

Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 2,582 times
Quote:

Over what?
It seems almost as if they think he should be impeached simple because they didn't vote for him .
As if there is going to be another election this year or next year or something where this time "their voice will be heard"

I'm a Dem who voted for Donald Trump. My party need to rebuild and develop a message that people can get behind with tangible goals (not just feel good speak).

At this point Trump has done nothing to be impeached however...if he continues his hot streak of executives actions (something the GOP hated OBAMA for) and not working with congress then the impeachment is inevitable

Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM

9,028 posts, read 2,947,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Read the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution. I am not saying it will happen but it isn't beyond the pale to say it's possible. There is little doubt he is in violation of the Emoluments Clause. Basically the intent is that the President should not be making money from, or owe money to, foreign interests. Donald Trump is not the first President to fail to completely divest himself from his business interests. Another one who did not was LBJ. He hung on to some radio stations. But there is no doubt Mr. Trump's global interests raise a lot more questions than a few local small market radio stations. We never saw his taxes so no way to know for sure but if he owes money to foreign governments that's a big problem. I would not be surprised if he has to prove this point in the near future. That doesn't necessarily mean his returns would become public. He would most likely have to show them to a congressional committee.

There is also another possible problem. Just today one of the top psychologists at Johns Hopkins said he was mentally ill and unfit to serve. Johns Hopkins' Top Psychotherapist Releases Terrifying Diagnosis Of President Trump He can be removed from office without actually being impeached. It's in that same 22nd Amendment.

We will all have to wait and see what happens.
But if Trump was removed from office, what would be done about the 62 million of those who followed him over the brink and voted for him? They would be far more dangerous and disruptive to our country, than any one person could be. Better to leave him in office and let him demonstrate conclusively, what a complete disaster his election has been. Before dumping him, you'd better have a plan to reintegrate his supporters into our society. In the meantime, congress needs to neutralize anything he might do to destroy essential functions of the government and to sour our relations with the rest of the world.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 01-28-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,609,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit_two_quit View Post
I'm a Dem who voted for Donald Trump. My party need to rebuild and develop a message that people can get behind with tangible goals (not just feel good speak).

At this point Trump has done nothing to be impeached however...if he continues his hot streak of executives actions (something the GOP hated OBAMA for) and not working with congress then the impeachment is inevitable
This is false. Trump has violated the Constitution more than once. That's an impeachable offense.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,579,993 times
Quote:

No the Republicans will impeach him. Or like Nixon, he'll resign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or