U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM

8,761 posts, read 2,505,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Do people not realize that the refugees undergo a several month long, very intensive background check? These aren't the same people who are in Germany. Those people are economic migrants.
I realize that the Director of the FBI has publicly stated that the Syrian Refugees can not be properly vetted and in recent news a few got through that have ties to known terrorist orgs. The excuse was that they weren't able to properly vet them.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,034,033 times
A sizable segment of (white) America is afraid of Islam. Forget 9/11, this is some "Back to the Crusades" nonsense. The real question is: if potential Muslim terrorists were able to immigrate to Mother Russia and then started coming West in large numbers, would Comrade Drumpf stop immigration from there? Of course not.

CIA operatives should start thinking about effective ways to "handle" the situation we've got here. I'm sure they can find a willing brother from the Nation of Islam or an ex-military guy with sniper skills.....

Old 01-28-2017, 03:56 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,471,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again a common mistake you are making, with all due respect...

We don't address ALL our issues in terms of either/or. IOWs, we need to address the refugee problem because there are many consequences well beyond those you note if we don't. Please see my prior comment and that interview with people who know a bit more about all this than C-D posters.

I too have traveled a good deal around the world, and I am also glad we don't have the same levels of poverty and ignorance prevalent in other parts of the world (though sometimes I wonder about the level of ignorance). We are a very wealthy country as well, so we'd have to consider just what restriction of real estate and resources you are referring to. Either way, we can and should do better on all fronts; with our poverty rate, our lack of quality education, too few gaining access to opportunity. We also need to be intelligent about our international/foreign policies, because we can easily make matters worse rather than better under the guise of thinking we are more safe behind a big wall. Again refer to my prior comment and interview that explains all this a lot better than I can -- the pros AND THE CONS -- as I think we all need to learn better or there will certainly be far worse HELL TO PAY.

We may go from one POTUS to another and try this policy or that, but through it all and forever as long as we are alive, there will be the Muslims here and all over the world. Maybe we should think of accepting refugees as something of a "vaccination" to fight further infection rather than the other way around.

Possible?
I am no expert of course. My major concern is my own life bubble.

The issue of immigration is tied deeply to our economics. Our country is in debt by the trillions. I understand the building blocks of this nation were formed from immigration, not some seed planted in Kansas. I know nearly every living American today is not a purebred, but a walking talking melting pot of their own. I realize the foreign affairs is a complex and dangerous animal, fraught with danger at every turn.

But I look at the general direction of our country in the 56 years I've been alive. America wants to be the savior nation. We want to help "everyone" to a better life. But we also need to look at that direction into the future. Population from within continues to grow. People are struggling to find work and pay their bills. although I wish people would take partial accountability for themselves and stop blaming the government for their woes.

A direction has to start somewhere. Right or wrong, I believe this is simply a starting point. Many mistakes are made when change occurs. But overall, and only in general, I think the message here is that Trump's focus is and always has been the infrastructure of this nation - economics, education, employment, etc. There are already countless millions here who need help, and with such a huge national debt a shift I believe is necessary. I'm not commenting on this specific move as good or bad, but in the bigger picture I am at least looking at it as a positive step towards a rebuilding of this country that has been long overdue.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:57 PM

19,984 posts, read 14,273,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Nonsense. Why do Syrians have to travel half way around the world to a country and culture they know nothing about in order to receive help? Ask yourself that question honestly.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Why did your ancestors come here?
They didn't come here to blow things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yet you voted not once, but twice for the guy who bombed them out of their homes.

Touche!

Old 01-28-2017, 04:10 PM

13,377 posts, read 6,390,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yay, 110,000 possible new recruits for ISIS and radical Islam! Celebrate! Huzzah! In fifteen to twenty years, these people's children will be launching terrorist attacks on Americans abroad, but hey, who cares, right?
They will still some in that 110,000 who will terrorize America. It's a guarantee. Look at the Somali. We brought them here and we have so many who want to join ISIS.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM

1,666 posts, read 771,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They didn't come here to blow things up.
Metaphorically they did. Manifest destiny over the native population in order to rob resources for the King was the ultimate goal.

Note: I'm making a big assumption that you're from English, Spanish or French roots.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,135,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Winning??? You do know that this isn't a reality show, right? It's not a lefty/righty contest. It's the deterioration of what America was built on. Our founders, the British, fled England because of religious persecution. I'll bet they're proud. Hardly.
This country wasn't built on taking in Syrian refugees.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,135,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's un-Constitutional and goes against the foundation of our country, especially since in the past 10 years, not a single Syrian refugee has been charged with terrorism. Meanwhile, those who have committed terrorist acts came from countries that are not banned by Trump, because he has businesses ventures in them.

It's ok, the federal government is already being sued for false detainment at airports, so Trump is about to get smacked down by the courts.
It's unconstitutional to not bring refugees into the country? Where is that in the Constitution? And how are refugees from Syria "the foundation of the country?"

Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM

924 posts, read 314,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

A direction has to start somewhere. Right or wrong, I believe this is simply a starting point. Many mistakes are made when change occurs. But overall, and only in general, I think the message here is that Trump's focus is and always has been the infrastructure of this nation - economics, education, employment, etc. There are already countless millions here who need help, and with such a huge national debt a shift I believe is necessary. I'm not commenting on this specific move as good or bad, but in the bigger picture I am at least looking at it as a positive step towards a rebuilding of this country that has been long overdue.
To do the things Trump wants:
25 billion for a wall
Rebuild nuclear arsenal (we already spend 20 billion a year on it)
Rebuild military (trillions?)

He's going to have to increase the national debt.
Yet you are complaining about our debt?

Old 01-28-2017, 05:15 PM

16,493 posts, read 16,611,849 times
VICTORY!!!!!

Get to watch the Commiecrats go ballistic!!!!!

Get to keep murderous Pedoprophet-worshipers out of the country!!!!

WINNING!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies